The Holes Binding Us Together - Cover

The Holes Binding Us Together

Copyright© 2020 by Vincent Berg

13: Wedding Guests

V: Making Things Right

It’s the action, not the fruit of the action, that’s important.
You have to do the right thing. It may not be in your power,
may not be in your time, that there’ll be any fruit.
But that doesn’t mean you stop doing the right thing.
You may never know what results come from your action.
But if you do nothing, there will be no result.

Michael Ryan

Angel - Blonde winged woman

13: Wedding Guests

A wedding is for daughters and fathers.
The mothers all dress up, trying to look like young women.
But a wedding is for a father and daughter.
They stop being married to each other on that day.

Sarah Ruhl

“Do I look okay?” Peg fretted, smoothing her dress with her hands after exiting their car. “I’ve never been to a fancy event like this. I don’t want to look ... childish.”

“Hush,” Tabitha soothed, as nicely dressed guests streamed in around them. “You’re anything but. As your many journeys have demonstrated, you’re naturally social and look perfect, so you’ll fit right in. Whatever you wear, your wonderful smile shines through, making anything you choose look delightful. But, in a dress like this, it really highlights your inner beauty.”

“Trust me,” Paul said, “her beautiful soul isn’t what’s gotten her this far. In a fight, I’d rather have someone relentless, preferably a quick-thinker like Peg who can talk her way out of virtually anything. While my looks have helped, they aren’t what will ultimately save my ass.”

“Don’t worry,” Andre said, straightening his tie. “You look both sophisticated and gorgeous. You’re going to drive the little girls crazy, and make the adult women swoon.”

“And the men?” he pressed.

“Leave those to me,” he said. “We’re focusing on social skills, since this will be tricky to pull off. We can’t have you propositioning or challenging anyone. This is a charm offensive. It’s fine knocking them out of their proverbial pants, but let’s keep the physical ones on, so you don’t crease your pleats.”

Peg shifted her dress so she wouldn’t keep tripping over it. “This seems like more work than it’s worth.”

“Given we’re fighting for a home for us all under one roof, it most definitely is worth the effort,” Tabitha stressed. “Be polite and charming, as you usually are when meeting strangers, but pour on the charm for my parents. They’re a bit much, pretentious and overbearing, but they hold the purse strings holding the keys to our future kingdom. If it helps, we’ll change you out of the dress after the service and you can wear your jeans to the reception.” She stood back, considering her. “Although you look wonderful, you look more natural in those than you do in a fancy gown. Don’t take this the wrong way, but it just isn’t you.”

“Just don’t piss anyone off,” Andre urged, straightening his own tie and parting his hair. “Although Tabitha’s parents can improve our lives, providing the stability we need, it’ll take finessing. So, let’s all smile, sweep in and wow everyone.” Taking Paul’s hand while Tabitha took Peg’s, they entered.

The ancient church was ornate and everybody was exquisitely dressed. Rather than chaffing, as Peg and Paul were, they looked natural in their immaculate attire.

“Note how they’re grouped,” Paul whispered, motioning towards the front rows with hand-crafted wooden pews where everyone wore the finest suits. Those wearing normal business suits or non-designer dresses sat behind them in the ordinary pews.

“Whatever you think of it, that’s precisely where we’re heading,” Andre said, urging them forward. “So, observe how they interact. They expect certain behaviors: highly restrained motions and minimal emotions. Like Peg, you’ve succeeded because you’re best dealing one-on-one with people. So more comforting and less confrontational street kid for today.”

“I trust you two have the necessary social skills to pull this off,” Tabitha added. “Since you’re young, you’re not expected to be as circumspect. These people are as bored with these parties as we are. A few childlike pranks will likely win over those uncomfortable with the formality, while a winning smile will convince the others. More than anything, my father likes strong leaders and respects those standing up for what they believe—assuming they back down where he’s concerned. He admires spirit, but doesn’t appreciate firebrands.

“Mom, Dad,” she said, approaching an older couple, “how have you been? It’s been a long time.” Kissing both on the cheek, she turned, indicating the others. “I’d like to introduce Andre, and his children, Paul and Peg.”

“I’m so glad you could make it.” Allison leaned in and returned her kiss, before continuing in a low voice. “Fredric was upset when you increased your plus one at the last minute, but I smoothed it over for you.”

“And how are you, Dad?” Rather than embracing her, as his wife did, he glanced at Allison as if checking whether she’d caution him before speaking.

“I’m glad to see you’ve abandoned your deviant lifestyle and settled down with what I hope is a decent God-fearing man.” He studied Andre, who extended his hand with a warm smile.

“It’s an honor meeting you, sir,” he said, firmly shaking his, maintaining the grip for several moments.

“I never trust anyone who tells me that, as it usually means they’re about to blow smoke up my ass.”

“Dad!” Tabitha chided, “there are children present!”

Glancing again at his wife, he continued when she didn’t interrupt. “Which is why it’s better if you don’t expose them to your ... aberrant lifestyle.”

“Father,” Tabby said, standing straighter and staring at him. “You know that lesbianism isn’t a choice. No one in their right mind would choose to be hated and abandoned by their family!”

“Yet,” he continued, “you did precisely that, once the right guy came calling. I don’t hear you changing your tune, which is not the best way to strengthen a marriage, much less raising impressionable children.”

“Dad, Paul is gay, and was repeatedly assaulted when younger. If you can’t watch your language, we’ll leave. I won’t subject these kids to your unwarranted abuse.”

“What your father is saying—”

“I can speak for myself,” Fredric asserted, glaring at his wife. “But you’re right. I tend to say what’s on my mind. As I’ve gotten older, I’ve grown tired of political correctness. I’ll also remind you that, despite your aberrant lifestyle, we never cut you off. Instead, you chose to abandon us.” He paused, softening his tone. “You never mentioned the children, nor their personal histories.”

“Why would I expose their darkest secrets? Think about it, Dad. Seriously, you’re not making things any better, despite that half-hearted apology.”

“I’m sorry,” Peg said, backing up. “I gotta visit the little girl’s room.”

“Sure thing, sweetheart,” Tabitha said, staring at her father. “Take your time.”

Ignoring her look and the interruption, he extended his hand to Paul. “I apologize, young man. If my daughter would occasionally call, giving me a heads-up, these meetings wouldn’t be nearly as stressful.”

“No problem, sir,” he answered, shaking his hand as assuredly as Andre. “Though, if you say something stupid again, I may have to take you down!”

Fredric pulled back, reevaluating him, before chuckling.

“Well played. I like men with backbone, rather than the mealy-mouthed yes men who spend days preparing ways of buttering me up. He reached out, ruffling his hair. “I suspect we’ll get along fine.”

“Not if you insult Peg we won’t,” he warned.

“Young man!” Allison cautioned.

“No, no, let him speak his mind. After what I said, he deserves to express his opinion.” Fredric smiled fondly at the older boy. “You’ve got more balls than all my advisers, who I pay so I won’t say the wrong things. I apologize for offending your sister. My words were solely intended for my daughter.”

“Since she opened her home to us, an attack on her is an attack on each of us, but ... I don’t hold it against you. I’ve been called a lot worse. You don’t change minds by getting angry. It only fuels tensions.”

“You’ve got a wise man here, Andre. Do you play any sports?”

“No, due to recent events I had to drop out of school. It’s hard arranging activities when you don’t know many other kids.”

“Ah, Peg,” Fredric said, noticing her approaching, “It’s so good you returned. I wanted to—”

“Sorry for the interruption,” she said, interrupting his apology. “I just found these and thought you and Allison might like them.” Peg handed them two fresh, different-colored tulips.

Both adults pulled back, surprised by the unexpected gesture.

“You ... discovered these in the restroom?”

“Oh, of course not. They’re from a field I sometimes visit. They’re everywhere, and there aren’t any roads nearby, so I don’t even know what town it’s in. But there are canals and big windmills in the distance.” When he started to speak, she reached into her tiny clutch.

“The last time I did this everyone questioned me. So, this time I borrowed Andre’s camera and took a picture.” She handed him Andre’s smartphone with the image already displayed on the screen.

“Now that is impressive, young lady,” he said, examining it. “It’s undeniably Holland, and the fact it bears today’s date is a deft touch. It’s truly a trick worthy of a Las Vegas performance, and you’ve deftly diffused an upsetting conversation. Both of your kids are wise beyond their years, Andre.”

He held the phone up for everyone to see, before handing it back as he sniffed the flower. “And it’s clear this hasn’t been sitting in a car for hours. You’re a master craftsman.”

“Just a girl who likes telling stories,” she said.

“I’d like to hear a few more, if you have the time,” he answered, clearly smitten.

“I think I went to India. It was in a tightly packed city, nothing at all like Manhattan. The people were really poor and the buildings falling apart. However, I couldn’t find anyone who spoke English. There weren’t any cows there, but I saw a weird one with flat, curving horns sticking out of its head on my next stop.”

“That sounds like a Musk Ox, and what you saw was likely a slum,” Andre explained. “Next time, give me a chance to ask some people at my school. Although India has many languages and dialects, hopefully I can find someone to teach you some common phrases and describe the differences.”

“Thanks. I wasn’t planning to return, but if I can ask questions it should be more interesting.”

“Those are certainly unusual destinations,” Fredric noted. “What else have you investigated?”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.