The Holes Binding Us Together - Cover

The Holes Binding Us Together

Copyright© 2020 by Vincent Berg

07: A Sleepless Night on a Heated Grate

Matthew’s Rules Of Survival
1) Sometimes, the people who mean you harm
are the ones who say they love you.
2) Fear is your friend. When you feel it, act.
3) Protect the little ones.
4) If you coped before, you can cope now.
5) Always remember:In the end, the survivor gets to tell the story.

Nancy Werlin

Paul indicated the building with the people surging through its doors to Peg. “Having shown you Grand Central, that covers the more obvious refuges, aside from the various New York Library locations. It’s better for panhandling, while Penn Station is more prone to crime, though they’re all a far cry from what Tabby suggested earlier today. People don’t loiter at the train station as much as the bus station, with all its shops, restaurants and bookstores. If you do decide to stick around, rather than popping into a quiet suburban park to sleep in the grass, I can list a few shelters. They’re not pretty and take a little getting used to.”

“Clearly, I’m conflicted,” Peg admitted. “Running away again is the most appealing option, but as I can’t predict where I’ll end up, it makes coming back tricky. I can control it, but not if I’m rushed. I’m just as likely to be attacked in a park, but more likely to be stopped by the cops, which means being escorted from my only way of returning.”

“Well, you’ll need to decide soon.” Tim rubbed his arms. “It’s gotten colder while we’ve shown you around. We need to get back to find somewhere to stay tonight.”

“Don’t worry,” Paul assured her. “I’ll hang around if necessary, even if it means I’ll need to sleep here too. We have our favorite shelters, where we’re known and a few people watch out for us. But he’s right, we can’t waste all day here.”

Peg studied the bustling array of people entering and exiting Grand Central Terminal. “No, I need to accept what I’m facing and deal with it, though it’s harder, given our discussion with Tabby about her potentially helping us. Avoiding it only prolongs the inevitable. As scary as it is, it’s best I face it now, so I’ll know how to proceed.”

“That makes sense, and reflects your growing maturity and acceptance of your options. But it doesn’t answer where you’ll spend the night. I can direct you to an out-of-the-way location, but I need to know where you expact to stay. Are you looking for a popular, congested area or a more remote, isolated neighborhood?”

“No, if I’m going to get wet, I’d rather dive in than waste time tiptoeing in the shallow end.” She crossed her arms. “I’ll sleep on the street, just so I know how bad my worst option is. Then, I’ll be able to evaluate my choices moving forward.”

Paul whistled. “You’re braver than I gave you credit for. It’s where we spent our first nights here. It’s where most newcomers end up—other than those with cars to sleep in. It’ll be rough, and you probably won’t get much rest, but you’ll have more options. Though, I suggest you pick somewhere near a portal,” he cautioned.

“It will also get cold, and you didn’t bring any warm clothes,” Tim said, “If you insist on sleeping outside, a sheltered alcove or heated subway grate to keep from freezing is best.” He glanced at the sun, below the nearby buildings. “Though most of the prime spots are already occupied, so you’d better find one quickly.”

“I’m nervous about narrow alleys or in closed-in alcoves, as it limits my ability to escape. At least on the street, if I’m disturbed by the police, they’ll just tell me to move, rather than bringing me in.”

“There is that,” Paul acknowledged. “There are several nearby. We’ll try a couple, and you pick out the ones with portals close by. Hopefully you won’t have to fight anyone for them, but the alcoves tend to go first. The grates become a bigger attraction when the temperature drops below freezing.”

“You’ll want to visit Goodwill or a shelter to find a better coat. The one you have is cute, but adorable doesn’t keep you very warm.” Tim hopped up and down, trying to get his blood pumping. He was thinner than Paul, with a smaller frame. Peg’s coat was good for cold Georgia nights, but not for even typical New York evenings.

“All right, let’s get moving. At least moving will keep us a little warmer. But don’t worry if you decide to head somewhere else, like the Caribbean. We won’t think any less of you for not freezing yo’ ass off.

“As you can see, Park Avenue and Forty-Second Street have plenty of shops. With the money you have, you can get a cheap meal, but your cash needs to last. I’d spend as little as you can, saving the rest for emergencies.”

“We natives tend to walk most places. Those old enough for jobs take the subways or busses, but they get confusing if you aren’t used to them. Those with steady incomes take cabs everywhere.” Tim indicated a businesswoman flagging down a passing yellow cab.

“This is a better neighborhood, so it’s safer and if you get in trouble, people will help. However, it’s also checked more frequently. Your best bet, when a cop walks past, is to pull a blanket over your head. Potentially, he won’t notice how young you are—though it’s sorta hard to miss.”

“People tend to see what they expect,” Tim couched, glancing at those eating in a nearby coffee shop. “Most don’t assume kids to be left alone—especially not around here—so they shouldn’t pay much attention. If they ask, just grunt or answer yes or no. Don’t give any detailed answers. The more you say, the more trouble you’ll be in. Whatever they say, go along with it. You don’t need to have the local cops watching your every step.”

“Here’s one,” Paul announced, waving his hand to alert them as they approached. “See any portals?”

“I see them everywhere I turn. There are many more here than around Bryant Park.” Peg surveyed the street again. Having spent the day listening and watching, she was getting accustomed to the various locations and references. “I’ll need to get closer before I can differentiate them. Here, they’re so dense I can barely see the people.”

“That is a hell of a lot,” Tim reflected, having trouble imagining the steady pedestrian traffic being obscured by invisible objects.

“Hold on,” she said, stopping.

“What is it?”

Looking down, Peg pointed at the sidewalk. “There are a bunch of overlapping holes here. Only these aren’t standing, blocking my path, instead they’re lying on the ground.”

“Is that unusual?” Tim asked, examining the unremarkable walkway and curb.

“Very. I’ve never seen it before.”

“Are they like the others? If you stepped in one, would you fall in, or would you need to lie down and roll into it?”

“I don’t know.” She knelt and passed her hand over one, shivering. The cars whizzing past honked, as she was partway in the street, while the boys remained on the sidewalk.

“The one you saw earlier at Walt and Maryanne’s were sitting. Is it unusual these died lying on the ground?”

“There may have been a traffic accident,” Tim said. “A steam or gas explosion, either in the road or the building behind us, long ago. They might not have been injured here, but were laid here as they were worked on. Without knowing when they perished, there’s no guessing what happened.”

“I’m not as worried about how they died, but the portal left behind.”

“I’m not sure you want to stick around; else you’ll end up exploring it for most of the night.”

“Not a chance,” she asserted, standing. “I’m not about to remain. This many, so close together, are unnerving.”

“How so?”

“They give off a chilling atmosphere, as if draining the life from me. I have no desire to visit wherever it leads, nor hang around them.”

“Do they feel dangerous?” Paul pressed.

“Not so much dangerous, simply somewhere unwelcoming, foreign and remote.”

“I’m guessing, if they led to hell, they’d feel threatening,” Tim offered. “If they lead to heaven, they’d feel reassuring.”

“Or purgatory,” Paul argued. “Where the dead are held before deciding where they’re going.”

“Either way, I’m not sticking around.”

“Fine, there’s another subway grate across Park Avenue that’s more open, so you can see anyone approaching. It’s not as busy, so there are fewer people walking past late at night.”

“That sounds perfect.” She continued staring at the problematic portals as he led them away.

When they got there, Peg noted that he was right. The area was more spacious. A tall building standing alone, surrounding by a large plaza, bordered by rows of trees. There were more buildings on the end of the block, and of course across the street. There were towering skyscrapers everywhere she looked. Considering how many apartments each housed and how many likely lived in each, multiplied by thousands of similar structures across the city, she was staggered by the numbers.

“It may be easier sleeping by the trees, but if it gets cold, I’d head to the heating grate further down. They’re where the subways draw air from. The heat generated below ground rises thru the vent keeping it toasty. You’ll need to gauge how warm. You might not be able to rest on it, so get as near as is comfortable. But you’ll toss and turn trying to warm both sides.”

“And this is how you guys live every day?”

Tim chuckled. “Oh no, this is roughing it. The police will keep pestering you and it’s noisy and uncomfortable, so you’re unlikely to sleep. When we can, we spend the night with someone. Otherwise we stay in the homeless centers, though they’re crowded and the long-timers get upset at newcomers. Once you’re more confident and comfortable defending yourself we’ll introduce you around. Frankly, you’re better off visiting some southern park, only returning if someone gives you a hard time.” He gave her an apprising look. “You’re not cut out for this and I’d hate seeing you develop a hard-enough shell to withstand it.”

“I’m plenty tough,” she insisted. “I just need to get used to it. My life has been too easy, and now I’m too soft. Wherever I go, I have to toughen up.”

“Whatever you do, if someone rouses you, keep up the baby talk,” Paul urged. “They’ll think you’re simple and go easier on you. Speak up and defend yourself, and they’ll shut you down quick.”

Tim chuckled. “Rethinking visiting the netherworld, after all?” They waved goodbye, returning to their usual haunts to locate somewhere to spend the night. She hadn’t, but now that he’d mentioned it, as the night grew more uncomfortable, she’d probably reconsider it.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.