Tyche - Cover

Tyche

Copyright© 2020 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 85

Two burped ... no ... not like that... BURP ... like that. Even the cook in the kitchen heard her.

“Whoa,” she said, “that was good.” And she belched again.

“You know, Two,” I said, “we’re not getting any sleep tonight.”

“Oh ... right, April and her bunch will be in the hot tub.”

“Don’t forget Surprise and Jimmy,” I said.

“Eh ... they’re quiet. I never heard a peep last night.”

“Come to think it ... me neither.” I said, “Speak of the devil ... Surprise just walked in ... and she looks ... pissed.”

Surprise stomped over and pushed me out of my seat.

“Hey!”

“Hey, yourself. I wanna watch the door.” She laid a little nickel plated 9mm semi automatic pistol on the table and covered it up with that joke she calls a handbag.

I moved ... the table was a tall four up ... now my back was to the door. I don’t like my back to the door.

“Where did you get that?” I nodded at the bag.

I was nodding at what was under the bag but she said, “At the Indian Supermarket. It’s a rice bag.”

“That’s not what I meant,” I said.

“This is Texas ... I’ll bet all the men and half the women are armed.” She was pretty loud and all the men and three quarters of the women said, “Sí.”

Two said, “Yes.”

I was the ONLY one unarmed.

Out on FM969 a pickup drove slowly by. I could tell whoever was driving was seriously thinking about pulling in ... but a Texas State Trooper pulled up behind the pickup ... flashed his light and blipped his siren.

Soon ... really soon ... but not soon enough to suit me ... the driver was getting a lecture about highway speeds and the need to keep up. At least ... that was what one of the gawkers said was going on.

Sent on his way, the pickup departed and the trooper was getting a coffee to go.

The relief was audible.

Monday... 10AM class ... advanced structural mathematics ... the professor greeted the class and motioned to three covered and numbered whiteboards.

“The lesson for the week,” he said. “You may uncover one board today ... one board Wednesday and one board Friday. Saturday, I want the solution ... in my office box. No cheating, no consulting. Have fun. See ya Friday.” He left the classroom.

Conversation was rife.

Finally ... someone had to do it ... I jumped up and ran down to whiteboards. I uncovered number one and took several pictures with my phone.

“Two?”

“Yes?”

“Take your own pictures.”

I was off and running.

“Tyche! You rat!”

Tuesday I put another coat of epoxy on the stripper.

Wednesday, I walked into the classroom and all three boards were uncovered. My phone camera is DATE/TIME stamped ... I took pictures of board two, went to the Gregory pool and caught up on my tan. After lunch I went to class ... and went to class ... and went to class. Maybe next semester I can arrange a better schedule ... like class Tuesday- Thursday...

Classes every Monday, Wednesday, Friday from 10 until 4 sucks.

By Friday I heartily sick of my bicycle and tired of no car...”Surprise ... I want my car back.”

“No.”

“No?”

“No. It’s Alice’s car. Get you another.”

“Mah-mmm.”

And that caused much questioning at the Union. I had to explain about Fiji and Aunt Cyn ... and my brat hood ... and the airplane ... and ... and ... and.

“Your mom and dad let your aunt Cyn send you to Michigan ... by yourself ... when you were FIVE!?!”

“I throughly enjoyed it. The bus was great fun ... if I got hungry somebody fed me.” I said, “All I had to do was look longingly at what whoever was eating...”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.