Tyche - Cover

Tyche

Copyright© 2020 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 76

Gossip ... rumor ... innuendo.

Until they got to me.

It’s three weeks into the semester and some of the women are FINALLY talking to me ... the oddity in the class. For the first week they were waiting to see who I left with. They were expecting a big brother or sister ... they got Alice.

Sixteen and seventeen. NOT college age. And we don’t look alike.

Two weeks in and someone saw us at the Union and said the magic word, “Coffee?”

For most of the next week, we were accosted by the women in my 10 o’clock and plied with coffee and sometimes a cheese Danish.

The Union is huge ... pool hall, auditorium, little nooks and crannies, and the biggest outdoor eatery and study area I’ve ever seen. It is the first week in September and the place is packed.

“Sure,” we said like twins. “Gimmie a minute ... refill.”

At the big table the word came down, “Junior and Freshman.”

“Who is the freshman?”

And they all looked at me.

“Me,” spoke Alice. “I’m still marveling at the fact that I’m not a Junior in high school.”

The switch was on, the focus turned to me.

I said, “I graduated ... took all of four years ... mostly I taught.”

“So ... you’re what eighteen?”

“Sixteen and two weeks.”

“You were 12 in high school?”

“Special Ed.” I grinned, “My Auntie Mom wouldn’t let them graduate me at 14 years old. I had to wait until I was 15.”

“Special Ed ... isn’t that for...”

I gave her the look that says, ‘be careful what you say ... this isn’t high school.’

“Special Education started out as something for both sides of the bell curve ... right and left.” There ... I said it. “The educators left the middle of the bell alone.”

“Auntie Mom?” Someone asked.

“My mom’s sister in law ... my mom married her brother. They sent me to Michigan because I was ‘too damn smart.’”

“Sent?”

“From Fiji.”

“Flintkote? Flintkote ... National Geographic?”

“Daddy.”

Mouths were opened...

And just about then, Two and her red hair walked in. She stood in the entryway and scanned the student outdoor cafe ... our eyes touched and she headed in our general direction.

Someone nudged someone else and they all turned to look.

Gossip ... rumor ... innuendo.

“That’s her...”

“The shooter?”

“She’s a cop?”

“So they say.”

And I said, “He shot first.”

“How do you know that?”

“I was there...”. I said. “I’m just now getting over the ringing in my ears.”

Two has arrived. “Really? Tyche Selene Flintkote? Are you gossiping about me?”

“Uh huh.” I grinned at her.

She smiled and sat, “Is it juicy? What did I do this time? Alice? Fetch ... two creams and three sugars.”

Alice said, “I’ll fly if you buy. Gimmie your card.”

The card was passed, Alice took out her notebook and a pencil, started with herself and worked her way around the table taking coffee orders.

That interrupted the train of thoughts.

Alice took off.

“Yes ... I shot him. I was protecting my principal.” She beamed at me.

Thanks a lot, Two.

<you’re welcome>

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.