Tyche - Cover

Tyche

Copyright© 2020 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 37

At an economical cruise it’s five and a half hours from Holland to Austin ... plus the refuel and potty break. Morning coffee ... I’m going to have to quit morning coffee. Runs through me too fast.

I called the field ... the runway was long enough but there weren’t any airplanes ... just a few helicopters ... flyable and in various states of disrepair. The broken out numbered the operational. They were all bunched together at the north end ... by a house. I had a suspicious feeling that the one fella I could see was Bud Field ... all of it.

Since there was an International close enough I radioed them and identified my aircraft ... mentioned I was going to use Bud ... and called the field on my cell. I could see the mechanic fumble for his phone. ‘Thought so.’

“Bud Field.”

“I’m here ... I’m going to buzz you ... check me out.”

And I did. I flew over at about five thousand and maybe 200 knots ... circled back and did it again at a hundred feet.

“Holy Shit ... a Sandy. Is that you?”

“Ayup...”

“You shoulda said ... I’d have had a contingent of the VFW here.”

“Well ... can I use your field?”

“Sure.”

When we were down and deplaned, we unloaded our bicycles and peddled over to the pile.

“Where’s your pilot?”

I tootled my fingers.

“No ... really.”

“Really.”

“Got a license?”

“Princessapality.” I said. “Will the wallet license do? Or do you need to see the hard copy?”

“Wallet first.”

“Yes sir.” I hauled the wallet out of my fanny pack. Took the license out of my wallet and handed it to him.

“Hmm ... it says here that this was issued by the Princess. You know the Princess?”

“My aunt bought her house ... of course I know Junior.”

“Okay ... Bill of sale for the Sandy.”

“Certified copy good enough?”

“Where is the original?”

“At home in the safe.”

“Certified will do.”

I had that in my wallet.

“Do you have the hard copy of the license?”

“Yes ... but we need to get out of the wind.”

“Why?”

“It’s pretty big and every time it gets blown away one of the folds tears.”

We sojourned to the house.

“Good Gawd ... that’s HUGE.”

“Everybody says that.”

“I see you’ve had to patch some tears.”

“Duct Tape ... wonderful stuff.”

“Okay ... you are who you say you are ... now ... about the containers ... I’ve got a crew coming to build a pad.”

I held up my hand.

“Something?” He asked.

“It needs to be big enough to park my Spad. And of that kind of quality. Two rows of two containers. The canopy crew will be here in July. Hold on ... let me get the drawings.” I sprinted for the plane.

I retrieved the drawings and presented.

“So ... what happens when you no longer need the shelter?”

“If I don’t need it ... it’s yours.” I replied, “Containers too.” I gave him a moment, then I said, “I’ll just buy another. I checked with the supplier ... a new one is cheaper than moving it.”

He goggled.

“I’m set with the manufacturer ... all the bills go to Tyche Flintkote LLC. Now ... where can we catch the bus to the University.”

“Straight out to 969 and turn left ... couple miles to the bus ... take the 18 ... when you get on the bus ... pay 2 dollars fifty cents and get a DAY Pass ... hold it ... you’re 18?”

“Fifteen ... both of us. Why?”

“18 and under ride free ... with ID ... the pilot’s license is good enough. Tell the driver you’re from out of state and want to get to the new University Admissions building ... he should let you off at Brazzos. Ask anyone on campus where Admissions is. If you ask a guy ... he might show you.”

“You have helmets?”

“Yes. Wouldn’t ride with out them.”

Alice asked, “Why a guy?”

“You’re too cute for words.”

“Oh ... Oh!”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.