Tyche - Cover

Tyche

Copyright© 2020 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 23

Bus riders run the gamut of the population ... good, bad ... wastrels, responsible, safe and downright dangerous ... they all have problems with money.There was a time when folks took the bus to see the sights. Now they take the bus to get to the next place they hope will turn their lives around.

In other words ... not everyone on the bus is upright, honest and honorable.

The bus driver finished with his calls and spoke to Frank, “We need lodging for 26 ... the bus company will honor submissions for payment at a standard rate ... one hundred forty dollars a night.”

Frank hollered at Ernie and Ernie left the kitchen to confer with his partner. That left me and Junior in the kitchen walloping pots and pans, crockery and silver. Oh Joy.

But pretty soon the owners called me to the front.

Ernie said, sotto voice, “Tyche, this is an awful lot to ask ... would you call your mom and see if she can put up two young couples. I don’t think either of them are married but it’s not for me to judge. We’re putting single men in rooms over the bar and there’s a few I’d rather not let near those girls. Call and ask please.”

Ah the wonders of modern living ... my cell doesn’t work in lake effect storms. I used the Antler land line. Surprise said she’d drive up. Snowmobile.

“I’ll have to make trips,” she said. “I can only take one at a time.”

“What about them,” I asked, pointing out the passengers in the two cars that stopped and asked Junior for a potty. “Where are you putting them?”

“Your boat?” Frank suggested. “You have the heat on in it all the time. Can ... will you put them there?”

“Ooo ... great idea ... the mother wanted to see my salvage.”

Within fifteen minutes Surprise and the snowmobile were parked in front of the bar.

Surprise bustled in shedding snow and carrying two snowsuits. One of the young women was soon suited and they roared off. The snow machine was soon back and within the hour men and women were packed off to her lake-house.

David advanced the boat idea to Mr. and Mrs. Olsen ... and teens. Oh yes ... girl riding with mom and boy riding with dad.

“Won’t it be crowded?” Pop Olsen asked.

All David could do was laugh.

“You haven’t seen the boat?”

“No.”

“The reason it’s not at the marina is because it’s too big,” David explained. “It’s not as big as the Pretty Penny but it’s bigger than the Kings Knight

And. Don’t you know it ... the Olsens are subscribers to National Geographic and knew the story. The Pacific War was spread over several issues.*

“You’re THAT David?” exclaimed the Olsens.

“For my sins,” David replied. “Don’t try to park at the boat ... we’ll never get your cars out. Follow me to the marina and we’ll walk to the boat.”

They loaded up in their respective cars, navigated the 4 or five streets and parked by direction.

“I’m off to work,” David said, “You can trust Junior ... Tyche? ... not so much.”

There is that about boats ... they look huge on the hard but not on the water ... unless they’re REALLY huge.

When we got to the boat...”Holy Shit!”

Mr. Olsen said, “This is your boat?”

“Yup.” I said. “Wanna buy it?”

“What does something like this cost?”

“I had to look it up ... Fifty thousand a foot.”

The girl from the backseat said, “Six and a half million?”

“Yup ... you’re good with numbers.”

“Polymath.”

“Where did your parents come up with that kind of money?”

“Oh ... I own it,” I said.

Then there was a looooong pause.

“I got it free,” I said.


*A New Old Watch. 9th in the STOPWATCH Series.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.