Tyche - Cover

Tyche

Copyright© 2020 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 122

The AD-1 is ideally arranged to carry passengers. As designed, the aircraft was to replace three other carrier standards ... the Grumman TBF, a torpedo bomber with a three person crew, the Douglass SBD ... two crew, and the Curtiss SB2C ... two crew.

Three aircraft, seven crew, replaced by one aircraft and one crew. Aircraft carriers are notoriously over crowded. It’s much easier to hangar one airplane and bunk one pilot than three aircraft three pilots and 4 aircrew.

While design was going forward it was a matter of record that torpedos are inadequate compared to bombs. So ... the torpedo bay and its complicated bay and doors was eliminated ... but the space remained.

Adam had plenty of room.

Because the AD 2 had tandem seating, Raul had plenty of room ... with a view, the bubble canopy drawn from the T-33 trainer made the AD look like a prop fighter. The original single seat teardrop canopy looked ridiculous.

It’s almost an up and down from Bud to Marcos... 39 miles. The climb out to my designated altitude was not quite 10 minutes ... halfway there. 10 minutes down and landing. Colonel Joe, shook my hand. And we were off to Kelly in San Antonio.

The colonel had to sign for me ... the best part? In San Marcos I put Raul in the front seat wearing a WW1 leather flying helmet and goggles. Oh. Yeah. Exactly.

The weekend was tons of fun. Raul nearly wore his right front paw out signing autographs. I didn’t think we were EVER going to get the ink out.

Kelly wouldn’t let him stunt with me. Flyovers were fine ... stunting? Nope.

The strafing and bombing run had to be timed perfectly. Only one cannon had blanks ... the other three were blocked. The pyrotechnics team had small charges planted to look like shells hitting the dirt and the fake bombs were supposed to be napalm. I started my dive ... opened up at 500 feet and dropped my duds. The gas barrels went off on time. Several Vietnam Veterans thought it was real.

What fun!

All in all ... even though we weren’t part of the advertising ... we had a great time.

Going home to Bud was a let down.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.