Prophetic - Cover

Prophetic

Copyright© 2021 by Vincent Berg

06: Surveying Future Events

Men may rise on stepping stones
Of their dead selves to higher things.

Alfred Lord Tennyson

Please Wait while image loads

A Tarot Hermit card illustration of a gray cloacked old man in a white beard with a wooden cane holding a lantern wandering at night searching for something.”}


“So, now that we’re proven your assumptions, what’s next?” Dan and Alison were walking, even though there was little indication of sunlight from the canyon-like city streets lying fallow between the tall skyscrapers surrounding them. Whenever they reached a cross street, they could view the East River, though there was little but a glimmer of sunlight, even then. “After all, you had a good indication of what would happen, so do you have some follow-up ideas?”

“Sorry, but while our little adventures fill in some gaps, it really didn’t answer many pressing questions.”

“Then I have three. First, it’s clear your abilities aren’t solely responsible for your having crossed between the worlds of the quick and the dead, though they’re probably related. So, we’ll need to continue testing your presumptions, as well as seeing what new details an extra pair of eyes can provide.”

“So, you’re suggesting Laura join us too?” He eyed her wearily. “Or is there anyone else you’re planning to invite?”

She chuckled. “Obviously not. There’s no reason to bring in anyone not already familiar with your situation. Laura knows as much as I do, so giving her a chance offers us a new opinion. Maybe she’ll see something neither of us did.”

“That makes sense, but this is all new. We’re still unsure what the potential risks of these types of voyages are. Do we really want to subject her to this, especially as it may impact her kids?”

“That’s ultimately her decisions, as I’m sure she already has contingency plans for her children. But you’ve been doing this nightly for a long time and haven’t suffered any health complications from it yet. Any form of experimentation is risky, but without risk there are no advances. And since you’re not planning on releasing any peer-reviewed scientific studies, having others who know what you’ve already discovered certainly helps in case something does happen to you.”

“That makes sense, and I certainly don’t object.”

“Secondly, we’ll need to continue exploring our limitations in your other plane. If we could travel there, while leaving you behind, we’d surely have no trouble communicating both ways. However, that’s not an option, especially if we hope to return. Instead, we’ll need to continue examining our options there, hopefully uncovering workarounds. I’m thinking our best bet is to consult a known psychic and determine whether we can communicate through them. I could reach Laura, but she wasn’t able to reach me. At the moment, that seems the lynchpin to our continuing operations there.”

“Again, is there really a need? I’m still worried about taking you both with me. Surely, given the limitations, there’s really no objective benefit. While it’s informative, a single mishap’s finality outweighs any potential benefits.”

“You’ve been doing this nightly for how long, and you still haven’t determined how to communicate with anyone there. It seems this definitely requires more attention at this point, not less. However, as you noted, it’s of secondary importance at this point.”

“However,” Alison stressed, “our most vital concern is the vision you experienced at Laura’s the other night. We now have an established date before you’re required to act. The two of us can help, either with doing the necessary research, or scoping out the areas beforehand, or even convincing someone to help us, if necessary.”

“Asking for volunteers would only open us to public scrutiny. I can’t see it proving beneficial.”

“Except, I have fairly extensive military contacts. People who are not only familiar with inner-city combat, but know how to assess potential dangers, establish fallback and resupply positions, and cover a wider area within a limited timeframe. And they’re familiar with keeping their actions secret, blending in so they won’t attract attention.”

“Yeah, those strategies worked so well in Afghanistan and Iraq!” he countered. “Our actions in both fronts were an unmitigated disaster, and we won’t be able to sweep this under the rug if we’re caught. Instead, we’ll likely face domestic terrorism charges.”

“Despite how badly the war was prosecuted, you can’t deny there’s ample experience with this type of warfare, especially with the ability to evaluate potential risks—a talent you’re uniquely unqualified for! Plus, if your opponents are armed, are you equipped and trained to return fire on a crowded street?”

“Okay, although I’m uncomfortable with the idea, if you can find the right people—personnel who’ll accept what we’re facing and my unsubstantiated claims—I’ll consider it.”

“That’s it?” she asked. “You’ll consider it?”

“Actually, no. I already have an idea to not only win over any skeptics but alleviate anyone’s concerns.”

“Should I ask what you’re planning?”

“No, probably not, especially as I’ll have to work through the logistics first, but this is one area where I have experience. And since you don’t, you’ll just have to trust me.”

“Okay, I can accept that. However, it leaves a fourth item unaddressed. You complain about never having a say in your fate. Of always having you fate chosen by those you’ve never even known. To succeed facing these dangers in the future, you’ll need a clear head. So, what do you require to re-center yourself? To clear away the cobwebs which have settled in your mind, making it difficult to clearly see your future. Moreover, is there something specifically that either Laura or I can do to help you reach that point?”

“Actually, I’m glad you’ve asked, as I’ve got an idea I’ve been wanting to try for some time. While it’s ... satisfying to prevent someone’s death, I don’t feel like I’m actually making any difference in their life. It’s not like I’m inspiring them or doing something noble. Instead, I’m forced to defer everyone’s skepticism, pretending what I do isn’t significant, or flee the scene before anyone has a chance to ask embarrassing questions.”

“This sounds interesting. What are you proposing?”

“Once again, I’ve got a specific idea, but I’ll have to make the arrangements myself. It’s similar to how I’ll have to validate anyone you select to assist, but this is more for me than anyone else. Well, that’s not true, as it’ll definitely change people’s life significantly. And rather than simply shyly skirting in, downplaying my role, I can stand proud and actually change someone’s life for the better. I suspect that, more than anything else, will finally remove the lingering doubts clouding my mind.”

“Good, then let’s set some dates for both events. I’ll start asking my military contacts, determine who’s qualified, who’s available and who we can trust with this information. But since you have a plan, I’ll avoid explaining how you acquired the information, leaving that detail to you.”

“Good, it seems we have several tasks in the works.”

“Maybe, but none of us knows where the other stands. Hopefully our ideas will mesh, but with so many unknowns, I’m expecting more than a few hiccups along the way.

“However, I’ve got to say, I can see why you’re so easy going and nonjudgmental after just one night seeing what you deal with every single evening.”

“Yeah, after seeing how easy it is to lose everything, it’s hard to get attached to anything material—which helps explain how sparse my apartment is. Those things have little impact on how happy we are inside, and those spiritual values are what determine how successful we are, both here, and in the hereafter.”

“Yeah, I can appreciate that now. Normally I’d ask how you’d know, but you’ve heard enough of their concerns to know what they value. I may have to start giving my friends and family a few unexpected gifts. I’m not ready to go quite as spartan as you, but I think simplifying makes a lot of sense.”

“Frankly, that was part of the reason I was so reluctant to take you. While I appreciate this life, it’s unfair to spring it on someone else. It’s a lot to absorb. It generally takes time to adapt.”

“I’m not there yet, but with a few more trips, who knows.”

“Yeah, we’ll have to discuss that,” he said, sounding decidedly unconvinced.


“Pardon me,” Laura said, guiding her sons, Peter and Adam, as they entered the unfamiliar park, “but I’m still unsure what we’re doing here, what our roles are, and most importantly, how this affects my boys.”

“It’ll become clear soon enough,” Alison assured her. “It wasn’t as straightforward as Dan initially thought, and I had to intervene to arrange it, but we decided the park would make it less stressful for everyone involved.”

“So, who are we meeting?”

“You said other kids would be here?” Peter complained.

“We’re meeting is a more secluded area, away from the rest of the park,” Dan explained. “That way, we won’t be as distracted. But you kids have a special role.”

“We do?” Adam asked.

“Yes, these kids have had troubled backgrounds, so we need you two to distract them if things get uncomfortable. You know how difficult kids can be, so we’re expecting a few disagreements, just don’t ask about anyone’s backgrounds. It’s fine if they volunteer the information but let them bring it up.”

“Can we discuss our own family?” Adam asked.

Dan chuckled. “Sure, that’s fine, but we’ll want to put everyone at ease first.”

“According to Susan, they’re in this direction,” Alison said, leading them down a separate path.

“And what are the candies for?” Adam asked, fumbling with the objects in his pocket.

“Candies?” Laura asked, arching her brow.

“Initially, the kids are likely to be uncomfortable. I’ve always found that all kids like candy. I’d ask the adults whether the kids can safely eat them first, but it’s a great way to break the ice. Just limit it to one per kid, as we need everyone paying attention, rather than running wild hyped up on sugar.”

“Is that why you always slip us chocolates whenever we see you?” Peter asked.

“Dan!” Laura chastised him.

“Hey, you gotta admit, it works. It’s hard judging someone who gives you something delicious.”

“Money might even be better,” Peter suggested.

“No, actually it’s not, as cash always has unwanted associations, while small treats are largely seen as harmless, without anything due in return.”

“I wondered why the kids were so attentive to you that first night,” Laura said, reevaluating their mutual boyfriend.

“All it did was to buy a little time, which I used to establish a relationship with them. It’s an icebreaker, not a miracle cure. As a result, you can’t hand them out like loaves and fishes to the multitude, but whenever someone’s unsure, it’ll go a long way.”

“If they don’t eat them all beforehand,” Laura worried.

“Don’t worry,” Peter assured her. “Dan told us what they’re for. If we ever hope to get any more, we’ll play by the rules—for now at least. Later on, we’ll see.”

Rounding a bend, they noted a large group of kids, and Peter and Adam grew more animated. The kids covered a wide variety of ages and were accompanied by a few adults. There was a separate group of adults—couples mostly—who nervously stood along the side, observing the children, and discussing what they observed.

Dan raised his hand, glancing at the others. “Stick with me, at least for now. I have a plan.”

“He’s planning something,” Alison said. “Pay attention, as you won’t see this every day, and it’ll likely change your perception of him.”

She turned and waved to someone, calling out to her. Susan turned, waving back and motioning them over. When they joined her, Allison introduced her to everyone. “Susan Walker manages the St. Mary’s adoption clinic. This is their usual get together where they introduce the kids to prospective parents, before they start any formal proceedings, allowing everyone to get comfortable with each other.”

“No one seems to be talking,” Adam said.

“I know,” Susan said. “Alison said Dan wanted a chance to speak with some of the kids.”

Instead of answering, Dan turned and whistled, loudly. When everyone stared, he waved them in. Once they started moving, curious what he was doing, he surveyed the kids surrounding Susan. Spotting one, he approached a young boy, walking past several others, seeking the one particular lad. Everyone else, curious what he was up to, followed. Laura, knowing what to expect, left her kids on their own, took out her cellphone and began recording.

Kneeling down, so they were eye to eye, Dan considered the young boy, who shifted from foot to foot. “Adrian Tyler?”

“No, I’m Alan Reynolds,” he said, correcting him.

“No. I’m referring to your real name, not the name everyone else gave you. Your mother, Aliana, worries about you, even after all these years, but wants you to know who you are.”

“Uh, Mr. Engals?” Susan said, reaching out to stop him, but Alison held her arm, letting the scene play out.

“You knew my mother?” Alan said, his eyes widening.

“Sadly, no, but I know she was a wonderful person, as was your father, Brendon. They met and married in Princeton, New Jersey. If you want to check, you were born at Princeton Medical Center, on June 19th.

“You got my birthdate, but no one ever knew my family,” he admitted.

“Despite an extensive search, they had to create a new birth certificate,” Susan explained. “They assumed he was from where he was found. Apparently, no one considered checking that far away.”

“Can we check?” Alan asked, his expression pleading.

“It shouldn’t take long. He’s either correct or his isn’t. Hopefully, we can confirm it with what’s in their records, assuming he’s correct, that is.”

“What happened to his parents?” Adam asked, coming up to face the boy his age, as the parents were now near enough to hear the exchange.

“They were moving, after Brandon landed a new job in New Rochelle, and had an accident. You managed to climb out, but your parents drowned and weren’t found for another two years, so they never connected them to you. You were picked up by an older couple, though I don’t know what happened after that.”

“I know the story from there. The couple had a farm, and since I was so cold, they took me home rather than taking me to the hospital. Apparently, I was walking by the highway, so no one knew where I was from.

“They took me to the police, but only after several days. They were the ones I was named for. I was informed that I told everyone my name, but now I’m no longer sure.”

“Your parents don’t know who Alan was, but...” he paused, tilting his head. “They suspect he was your best friend before they left Blackwell Mills, where you lived.”

Alan looked up at him, his eyes tearing, and the threw himself at him, hugging him tightly. “Thank you! Thank you! I’ve never been able to remember them, but now, they’re back. Adrian Tyler is back!”

There wasn’t another sound besides Adrian’s quiet sobs, as Dan held him. Then pandemonium erupted. “Do me! Do me!” “I’m next!” “Who were my parents, Mr.?”

Into the unfolding chaos, as everyone was jostling to get his attention, Alison grasped his shoulder, hugging him from behind while motioning for Laura, who joined her. “You considering adopting him?”

“The thought crossed my mind,” he admitted.

“It’ll be difficult, but it’s definitely possible,” Laura advised, as Peter and Adam stood back, seeing the three in an entirely new light. “It’ll take a while, without a family, but they do make exceptions.”

“They’d never do it. I’m comfortable, but definitely not stable.”

“Maybe if you were married?” Alison suggested, but Dan turned, considering the other kids.

“Well, if you won’t, I might consider adding another to the mix, though I’ll probably need to discuss it with Leon first.”

“If you don’t, we will,” another couple, not far off said. Hearing that, Susan made her way to them, giving them her business card as they traded information. But Dan was already busy with the next child, a blond girl, who stood in rapt attention as he approached.

“Janelle?” he asked, and rather than arguing, she clutched his leg, her back shaking even as he held her steady, comforting her.


“Are you ready?” Alison asked, guiding a nervous Laura into Dan’s apartment. “Do you need something to calm your nerves: a shower, hot bath, or possibly a margarita?”

“I’ll save the margarita for later, to celebrate our success. For now, I’d prefer lying down and clutching something big, warm and muscular.”

“Well, if you want that, I’d suggest Alison,” Dan advised. “While she’s not quite as tall, she definitely has more muscle tone than me.”

“Are you kidding?” she countered. “For as much as you walk, you certainly get plenty of exercise.”

“True, but it’s all low impact, whereas your body was definitely sculpted by high-impact aerobics.”

“Forget the aerobics—though I do plenty of them—it’s the lifting, carting and stowing of supplies that keep me in shape.”

“Hey, keep your competition till the morning. Chasing my kids down is about all I can stand, and they leave me exhausted most of the day!”

“Who are you kidding, your kids are really well behaved,” Dan countered.

“Well, as much as they thought of you before, they’ll pretty much do whatever you say after seeing you perform in the park today. To say they were impressed is putting it mildly!” Laura turned to the others. “How’s the arrangements for this end of our psychic connections?”

“I was asking around, and got a couple of new suggestions, as Jennifer has apparently quit the profession due to our little request. But before I could call anyone, Dan had already arranged someone of his own.”

“It’s Ben Carter. He’s the Energy Medicine specialist who first instructed me on this, so we have a history. He’s good and was receptive, but I insisted on paying his full fee to ensure he keeps anything we uncover confidential—if so, it’ll be the only technique that works so far. The next time I rescue a lawyer, doctor or shrink, I’ll definitely pay them before disappearing!”

“And he won’t mind being awakened in the middle of the night?”

“No, I told him not to worry about it. If this works, he should awaken immediately. If it doesn’t, there’s no reason for him to stay up.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.