Prophetic - Cover

Prophetic

Copyright© 2021 by Vincent Berg

15: Operations Commence

about the biology of stress and recovery, stress seems to have an
effect on the brain similar to that of vaccines on the immune system.
In limited doses, it causes brain cells to overcompensate
and thus gird themselves against future demands.
Neuroscientists call this phenomenon stress inoculation.

John J. Ratey

Laura glanced along the avenue jutting before them. The crowds were minimal, the nine-to-five business crowd already dissipated. “Are you sure this is wise? It’s still early, and the longer we’re here, the more likely we’ll be noticed.”

“I’ll be camped out for most of the evening across the street from the final ‘kill zone’. It’s the best position to monitor activities. It’s not ideal, as I usually only foresee whatever I’m observing, but it’s midway between the other sites and we’re most concerned with the final event. Thus, by surveying the street now, I’m hoping to detect anything which has significantly changed, though expecting change to remain constant is a fool’s errand.”

“That sounds good,” Alison said, “but we all know, if you detect someone in distress, you’re liable to rescue them, your safety and the everyone’s’ lives be damned! That’s why you keep seeing yourself dying!”

“I’ve never sought trouble, but when I get an indication someone’s in distress, speed is critical. I can’t wait for someone to happen by in time.”

“We’ll accompany you for the evening. Laura will text your messages, while I’ll follow the actions and successes at the other sites. However, later on, I’ll head downstairs where I can provide medical assistance to anyone needing it. You’re safer up here.”

“Safer is such a relative term,” Dan reflected. “After all, who was safest on the Titanic? Either way, they probably died anyway. My job is guessing what’s likely to go astray so we can adapt. It’s not strictly necessary to survive to accomplish that.”

“Your sister will never forgive us,” Alison groused. “Laura, do us a favor, if he starts to get up, coldcock him so he can’t.”

“Don’t worry, I’m packing.”

“You are?” they both asked, horrified.

“Mace, not lead,” she clarified. That detail satisfied Alison more than Dan, who shifted back, studying her for any telltale bulges. “Don’t worry, he’ll never see it coming, as his eyes always go squiggly when it happens.” She paused, tilting her head. “How about you? If he detects trouble, couldn’t he alert you instead of going himself?”

“What, are you already trying to stifle the competition?”

“Absolutely not, but you’re more adapted to combat and will know when it’s safe to venture out, something I’m unfamiliar with!”

She waved her hand, glancing back. “Sure. Just be sure to pick up the pieces and say farewell to my family.”

“They already know what you’re involved with,” she reminded her.

“I meant, tell them you and Dan are to blame, not me,” she retorted.

“So, see anything new?” Laura asked a few minutes later, as no one was saying much, maintaining a low profile.

“Not yet. So far, everything seems copacetic,” he assured her.

“Hopefully it’ll remain so,” Alison said. “We’ve certainly taken every possible precaution. You two keep going. There are a few other combat medics meeting later in the cafeteria, so I’ll stop by and ensure they’re welcome and know what to expect. I’ll catch you later.”

“Sounds good,” Dan chuckled. “You’ll know where to find us.”

“How’re your nerves?” Laura asked again once Alison left.

“Same as before. I’m nervous yet calm. No, make that resigned. I know what’s likely to happen, and like you, I’m unwilling to walk away. I’ll actively work to avoid it, but if it can’t be avoided, I’m willing to own it.”

“Well, if you remain clear of the street, as we are now, it should improve your odds. Rely on Alison if you feel the need to intervene.”

“You’ve observed how these events typically evolve, how’s she supposed to know who she’s supposed to save? I can hardly describe someone I only saw for an instant. While I’d recognize them, it doesn’t mean I can accurately describe them.”

“It’ll be tough, but we’d still prefer not losing you. There’s got to be another way, and if not, there’s no way you can save everyone.”

“Did you honestly suggest I abandon someone when I know I can save their lives? Even if I did, what would that imply about me? How do you live with that without it rotting your soul, eating you up?”

She hesitated, considering him. “I don’t know, but there’s got to be a compromise somewhere. It’s either do and die, or ... wait for fate?”

“This is fate,” he argued.

“It’s their fate, not necessarily yours. But again, we’re not suggesting you do nothing, only that you consider your options, rather than diving in headfirst.”

“Well, I’m not getting anything. I think you’re right. I’m not likely to learn anything new. I need to be there when essential factors are changing. It won’t pay to haunt the site, waiting for something which may never occur.”

“That’s a great idea. Let’s head back, get you safely stowed away, and outfit you in that flak jacket.”

He glanced at her. “Aren’t you wearing yours?”

“Well, at least we’re finally getting you somewhere fairly safe.”

“The safest seat on the Titanic? The one right in the back, just above the engine compartment?”

“Yeah, the one—”

“Wait,” someone shouted, “You’re him!”

They both turned, and there was a woman, rushing towards them. They glanced at each other, knowing this didn’t sound promising.

“You’re that guy who saved everyone the other day. The guy who got everyone off the street before that truck went out of control and would’ve killed them all.” She reached into her pocket, extracting her phone. “I have to get your photograph!”

“Please,” Dan pleaded. “That is not a good idea. Let’s keep it quiet, or even better, let’s get you off the street somewhere we can talk.”

“Wait, I’ve got to tell my friend Chris. She’ll never believe this. She wouldn’t believe it when I told you what you did.”

“Look, if you knew anything about me, you’d know I abhor unnecessary attention. Please keep it down, as I’d rather keep a low profile.”

“Nonsense,” she turned, searching behind her before waving her hand. “He’s here! That guy, the one who,” she turned, seeing no sign of neither the man nor his friend.

“Damn,” she swore. “Now Chris will never believe me!”


Dan leaned against the interior wall. “You were right, it was stupid spending so much time on the street.”

“Yeah,” Laura conceded. “Who’d have guessed? But we can’t remain here, less she guesses where we are.” She led him toward the elevators, as they both checked the glass-fronted café to the side for Alison.

“It didn’t change anything, did it?”

He stopped, his eyes dilating. He seemed certain, his eyes not blanking, so she about to encourage one when he responded. “Yeah! Text the guys and have Thomas tell everyone to be careful.”

She removed her phone, as they headed for the elevators. “Why?”

“We’re going to lose someone, as they tumble to the street below.”

“Who?”

He shrugged. “I don’t know, he was tumbling, falling too fast. It was also dark, which makes proper identification difficult.”

“Where? Which building?”

“Again, I couldn’t tell. The vision wasn’t long enough to tell. I saw it and it was gone.”

The elevator arrived, so they both hurried to catch the waiting car. Neither spoke as the doors slowly closed and the elevator began to rise. Laura started to type something into her phone, but paused, glancing at Dan and raising her eyebrow.

“What can I say? I just don’t know.”

“Then what am I supposed to say?”

He spread his hands helplessly. “Just convey the message. Let them figure it out. The point is, I saw it after the incident outside. Do the math. What else is it likely to convey?”

“You think we’re exposed?” she gasped, as a few heads turned, wondering what the conversation was about.

“I don’t think there’s any question!”

“That’s not doing anyone any good now,” she countered as she resumed texting. An older woman peered over her shoulder. When Dan touched her sleeve, she glanced around and noticed her. “Excuse me!”

“Hey, don’t talk about your private lives in public.”

“Dan, when the doors open, throw her out, will you?”

The woman’s eyes widened as she backed away, but Laura didn’t bother with the rest of the message, simply holding the incomplete message in her hands as she briefly considered the other passengers.

The elevator stopped, and someone excused themselves as they got off. “Let’s take the stairs,” Dan suggested.

Laura glared at the older woman. “A pleasure.”

Once they exited, with no one else nearby, she resumed the message as they headed for the elevator. Entering it, she turned to him. “So, you think they were waiting for our guys?”

He glanced at his watch. “It’s four o’clock. That’s plenty of time to inform their entire team.”

“Is the attack still on?”

He shrugged again. “I haven’t a clue, but whatever they did, no one came to investigate.”

“Which means we’re all still in danger. Maybe I should shut this whole thing down?”

“No, we don’t know whether they cancelled the operation or not. Thus, we’re stuck. We continue as planned, but keep our eyes peeled, expecting the worst.”

“While they assassinate each of us!”

“There’s no choice. Either we continue, or we’re responsible for hundreds of lost lives.”

“And if we don’t?”

“They’ll still be dead, but at least we aren’t the ones who abandoned them in their hour of need. Being a decent person has never been easy, which is why so few even try!”


“What the hell does that even mean?”

Thomas stood, throwing his napkin beside his plate. “I don’t know any more than you. If they know any more, they’ll tell us. But if they don’t, we continue as planned.”

“Is that wise?” Michael asked, pushing his chair back but not yet moving, as he checked with the others.

Thomas shrugged. “No one ever said we’d survive, but we still have a job to do. We’ll take the necessary precautions, but we get into position now. Screw dinner, at this point, the first one there stands the best chance. Even if we are compromised, it’ll take time to decide how they’ll proceed. Hopefully, it’ll give us enough time to prepare.”


It was an anxious wait, as everyone kept checking their phones. Not that anyone expected a response. They’d only know once things failed, and when they started sliding, everything could fall at once.

Dan called Detective Lee Araceli to discuss the situation, but neither knew what to make of things. He also reminded him that the women were right. He should have stayed put, especially today. The others hadn’t echoed that sentiment, but they didn’t have to. Yet everyone kept pressing for updates. As they say, everyone likes sausage, but...

Dan even considered returning to the street to see what else he could observe, but everyone agreed it was a terrible idea. It was no longer an option, whatever happened.

They at least had an excellent view of the street, and against everyone’s advice, Dan peered out the window, hoping to view anything which might indicate what may happen, but he didn’t receive another vision, proving his point—or not, no one knew anymore.

Finally, Alison excused herself, heading downstairs as the fateful hour approached. She’d informed them her medical friends were already in position, so this was already much bigger than just them. One way or another, the die was cast.

Once it grew too dark to see much, Dan moved away from the windows and awaited the inevitable, Laura clutching her hands. Neither said anything, as there wasn’t anything to say. There was only one answer, and they’d know it soon enough. Until then, they’d wait for the chips to begin falling.

Tired of waiting, Dan headed for the door.

“That’s not wise,” Laura warned.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.