Prophetic - Cover

Prophetic

Copyright© 2021 by Vincent Berg

11: A New Day Dawns in Laura’s New Life

IV: Dancing on the Edge of the Grave

One more dance along the razor’s edge finished.
Almost dead yesterday, maybe dead tomorrow,
but alive, gloriously alive, today.

Robert Jordon

The High Priestess - Illustration of a woman with a wreath on her head, reading a book

From now on until death she was going to have flower dust
and springtime sprinkled over everything. A bee for her bloom.
Her old thoughts were going to come in handy now,
but new words would have to be made and said to fit them.

Zora Neale Hurston

“Okay,” Laura said, nodding. “I think I’m ready. Are you guys prepared to turn in?”

Dan leaned back, closing his eyes for a moment. “I’m still not comfortable with this.”

“Come on!” Alison glared at him. “We know you’re concerned, and you have a right to be. It’s because you love and seek to protect us, but we didn’t arrive at these decisions on a whim. We’ve consciously decided it’s something we need, despite the risks. You’re not the only moral person here, doing something which threatens them and alienates the world for the betterment of mankind. We each have very specific reasons for doing this.”

“And we each trust you implicitly,” Laura noted. “Yes, we almost had a serious accident, but I’m confident we’ve learned our lesson. You have to admit, we’ve learned a lot. While you’ve made some major accomplishments, we each bring something unique to the table, and we’ll only get a handle on it with us each doing our part.”

Leaning forward, Dan rested his face in his hands and groaned, but it in resignation, not exasperation. “This was easier when I was alone and no one else’s life was at stake. It’s one thing to assume these risks when it’s just your life on the line, but between the two of you, there are multiple people relying on us!”

“That’s true,” Alison conceded. “But that’s the reason why it’s necessary. We’re doing this willingly, conscious of the risks, because there are more lives at risk including yours. There’s no longer any reason for you to do this alone. We’re a team, and it’s time to shelve your martyr complex.

“It’s possible any of us may perish before this is over, but if so, the others will persist, knowing it’s our destiny. It’s not a personal choice, it’s our fate. We aren’t making this choice because we’re kind, we were selected because our temperaments are suited for it, and for whatever reason, we have very unique skills we wouldn’t have developed otherwise.

“When we’re done, you’ll quit skulking in the corner and rejoin the human race, with us standing by your side.” Alison considered Laura. “And that includes reconnecting with Chrissie, as you abandoned her not for events beyond your control, but because she didn’t know enough to press. When this is over, we’ll walk away and resume our lives—our normal lives. We’ll each be changed by it, but we won’t hide from those we’ve helped. They’ll likely never know what we’ve accomplished, but enough will, we’ll hardly need to shout it from the rooftops. But it’s time, Dan. It’s time for us to finally plunge into this, flush our worries and concerns in the refreshing waters of fate, and accept what’s destined for us.”

“Come on.” Laura stood, taking Dan’s hand, and gently pulling. He and Alison stood, making their way to his bedroom, which was becoming nearly as familiar to their own.

This time, they didn’t bother stopping to freshen up. Neither wore makeup, since they were so focused on more critical tasks and showering seemed pointless. They understood there wouldn’t be a struggle falling asleep. Realizing what was involved, they willingly dove headfirst into the vortex pulling them into a world no one would voluntarily enter. But they were confident in their convictions, and once done, hopefully the spirits calling them would allow them a break, granting them time to recover at their own pace. But their conscience was clear. This was their duty, one they couldn’t refuse, whatever the outcome.

Rather than both cuddling Dan’s chest, Alison and Dan embraced Laura, holding her tight and demonstrating they wouldn’t let her go as easily this time. She trusted them and was confident of her decision but remained nervous. She also wrote handwritten farewell notes for Adam and Peter, as well as scheduling personal emails for Leon and her family scheduled for delivery by midday tomorrow.

Once again, unprepared to fall asleep, Laura found herself in a vast empty space, which she hadn’t the time to appreciate earlier. She noted the glowing light still beckoning her, but didn’t feel the same compulsion, buoyed by Dan and Alison’s gentle spiritual touch. Instead, they glided through the unchanging landscape, with no conception of the distance crossed or time.

Though patient, Laura grew increasingly nervous. She realized she was through the dangerous phase, the glowing gate awaiting her no longer present. But now worried about what they’d face and how things may have changed since the previous night.

When they finally crossed into the spiritual realm, she was relieved, though remained cautious. Once again, the spirits swarmed around Dan, though Laura recognized her mother, Peggy and two childhood friends she didn’t realized had died. Alison’s descriptions of how to interact were spot on.

‘Did you tell him?’ Peggy asked. She seemed genuinely curious, demonstrating these otherworldly spirits didn’t know everything. Even in the afterlife, questions things remained uncertain.

‘Yes, and it didn’t take long uncovering what you were referring to. Now, he’s upset that everything’s changing and suspects time anomalies rather than random events.’

‘Those will continue,’ she said. ‘Things are in motion, and at this point, nothing is set, so they change seemingly randomly, though ... it’s not.’

Laura glanced back at her old acquaintances. Though it still felt strange looking at minor glimmers and recognizing long-lost friends, she was rapidly adapting to it.

‘It’s because,’ her mother, Maria said, ‘unlike Dan, you belong here.’

‘You both stride both realms,’ another being Laura somehow knew was Dan’s grandmother, ‘while Alison merely observes. He hears us, but only when dealing with the living. You deal with the dead, passing messages from the living.’

‘So, we’re both what, one in eight billion anomalies who just ended up in the same place, at the same time, and interested in the same things?’

‘No, clearly there’s more to it than that.’

‘Did you have anything to do with it?’ she pressed, hoping to discover a crack in the spiritual world’s defenses.

‘No, we can communicate, but only with certain individuals. We can pass on concerns, and answer specific questions, but... ‘

‘You can’t tell us what will actually happen. Why is that? Is it that it isn’t set? Is time so fragile? Do our actions cause reverberations? Or are certain things, like our fates, set?’ She finally paused, realizing the futility of her questions and gathering her thoughts. ‘Are Dan and I destined to die?’

‘Hardly, to most of those,’ Maria said. ‘But there are different ... influences, each with their own agenda, hoping to sway events. As they work at cross purposes, events seemingly change for no apparent reason.’

‘So, there’s really no big guy in charge of everything, and our religions are all wrong?’

‘No, but ... he’s learned it’s best not to personally intervene. If left to their own devices, humans will either succeed or fail. But when he acts, it almost always spirals out of control, and the living pick sides—either for or against him—so he’s learned it’s better to let it play out and puts certain factors in play at specific times.’

‘Factors? Like Dan and I?’

‘Don’t count your friend Alison out. She’s your organizer. Even here, she’s figured out how to pass messages back, independent of your and Dan’s particular skills. But we don’t actually know how those events come to pass. We can advise Dan, but it was his visions which led him directly to you, while it was Alison who pulled you in, activating your own abilities.’

‘So, I was destined to slip away?’

‘You didn’t stumble, the gate was created specifically for you. Like Dan, you needed to die, but it beats getting run over with a truck.’ Alice said.

Laura considered that. ‘Is that how you died?’

‘It was actually a three-care accident, where a tow-truck rammed into our taxi, shoving us headfirst under a tractor trailer.’ She paused. ‘Everyone else made it, but I was stupid enough to watch what was happening.’

‘Trust me, you don’t even want to hear how I died,” Maria insisted.

‘Do either of you regret it?’

‘Not at all,’ Alice confided. ‘My life here is ideal. But it’s not like we sit around on clouds playing harps. Gossip and mysteries like this stretch our imaginations. You’d be amazed what there is to learn when we’re freed from out physical restrictions.’

‘So, getting back on topic, what—’

‘I’m sorry,’ Dan’s grandmother interrupted. ‘We’ve said too much. You’ll need time to process this and giving you too much information will only dilute its effect.’

‘We’ll talk again,’ Maria assured her. ‘But it’s time for you to return.’

‘Tell Dan we’ll talk later,’ his grandmother said.

When Laura turned to consider her living friends, they all found themselves back in the barrier zone. Normally, Dan led them back, but this time, having admitted too much, someone did intervene, preventing anyone from saying any more.

As they floated in the ether, making no apparent progress but clearly moving between one realm and the other, she considered the others, reaching out to reassure them. Clearly, they had a lot to discuss.


“I can’t believe you uncovered more about the spirits guiding me in one session, than I’ve gathered after years of desperately searching,” Dan reiterated.

When they’d first awoken, well before dawn, they’d grilled Laura about her discoveries, which lasted for some time. They were less interested in Alice and Maria but were fascinated in how individual spirits could seek her out, even without anything they specifically wanted to say to her, just hoping to help. But now that they were once again out walking, they continued pestering her with questions, not yet comfortable with the imprecise details.

“You must admit, it is a bit off,” Alison pointed out.

“Hey, I’m not the one who designed the system. But I apparently have an inside track. Since I’m speaking as one spirit to another, in their home environment, we’re not limited by the same controls you are. There are no limits on what they can say.”

“Well, clearly there are, and fairly significant ones too,” Alison clarified.

“I’m not sure there is. They recognize something is up, but just as we’ve discovered, these things are changing rapidly, so nothing is very clear—even this late in the game.”

“About these wavering influences,” Dan pressed.

“They seem to be beyond the ken of the human spirits. I like to think of them as angels. If the big guy is keeping his distance, there’s more room for them to exert their influence. And as more are making increasingly influential changes, the rest feel obligated to participate, either in support or opposition.”

“So, we’re talking about more than the one fallen angel?”

“Yeah. I didn’t get a feel for whether he’s even involved anymore, but now there are multiple heavenly hosts fighting each other and working at cross purposes. Early on, with only one merely trying to prove a point, it was easy enough to counter. But now that the limits are revoked, it’s become chaotic.

“I’ve been considering it. I suspect the increasingly chaotic public sphere seems to extend to the spiritual world as well, though I’m unsure which side is the instigating influence. But I suspect it’s why your spirits are so insistent. Though they can’t perceive the eventual outcome, they see where it’s heading, and are hoping you can somehow counter the major influences, leveling the playing field. Even more, they’re hoping to influence things to help their living relatives and friends, realizing that isn’t where your interests are. This stuff gets complicated if you think about it too much!”

They didn’t respond, considering the information. While they didn’t know, no one apparently did, living or dead, so there was little sense engaging in idle speculation. But Dan had a new appreciation for why the various spirits responded as they did, likely influencing how he’d respond in the future.

Lauren had actually stopped to call her friend’s families, despite the early hour, once Dan assured her, they likely wouldn’t freak out. Both families were shocked, to say the least. In both cases, she spoke to their mothers. Lauren even had to request her father to put his wife on the line. It was an awkward conversion.

“Hello? Who is this?”

“Mr. Fredrickson, don’t worry, no one is hurt. Actually, Marie is doing quite well now, and she’s actively involved in your lives. But please, put me on speakerphone so I can speak to you both.”

“Is this some kind of sick joke?” he demanded, though the delays in his response indicated he took it seriously enough to do as she requested.

“Who’s this? Do we know you?”

“No, you don’t, but I knew your daughter Alice during college. My name is Laura Wells. If you still have access to her old college yearbook, you can look me up. If not, I’ll ask her for your address and send you copies of both our pictures from our time together on campus.

“Through a strange circumstance I couldn’t hope to explain, I was able to talk with her and a few others for some time. We didn’t have time to actually talk private, as I was tasked with other matters, but I wanted to convey that Alice is doing well, is learning new things and has entirely new responsibilities—aside from worrying about you and her sister, Pepper.”

“How do we—” Douglas Fredrickson demanded.

“Alice once confided to you about an early boyfriend and asked you not to tell your wife,” Dan said, interrupting. “In response, you told her about Mattie Sommers, your seventh grade ‘girlfriend’, who gave you your first kiss, but who eventually broke your heart.”

“You told me about her,” his wife gasped.

“Look, we’ll need to meet and discuss this, but ... I’ll need to meet with Alice and get some more specific information first. It gets difficult. While she can speak to Dan, our boyfriend, I have to actually visit her in order to talk, which is a bit more difficult. Anyway, we’ll be in touch. But as she suggested, let this sink in and process it before we meet, just so you’re prepared. We aren’t trying to sell you anything, just ease your minds.”

“We just need...”

“Sorry, we can’t get into that just yet. Consider what I’ve said, and we’ll talk again once I have something specific to tell you about her. I’ll set up something when we have something more meaningful to convey.”

“I—” but Laura had already hung up.

“Wow! That’s much harder than you make it look,” Laura said, considering Dan.

He wrapped her in a hug, holding her tight and speaking softly. “Why do you think I consider it such a curse. It’s nice bringing peace to their living relatives, though it’s gut wrenching to convey the news to complete strangers.”

“So, we’re nearly there,” Laura said, hoping to circumvent additional inquires. “What’s the plan, you said we’re meeting someone new?”

“Yeah, Detective Araceli hooked me up with another bomb-tech, someone recommended by Avery. They’re still keeping an eye on the one site, but he’s currently focused on the other sites further north, and Avery can’t authorize the work without someone with a bit more clout making the request.”

“You realize, we’re becoming regulars here,” Alison suggested, “and we’re always here as a threesome. Talk about conspicuous. Wouldn’t it be better to have one of the others take the lead in this?”

“It would definitely be easier, but I need to be there to locate the explosive, so they know where to look. Once they do, it should be relatively easy to detect someone sniffing around the specific location. But the building is a regular business and is filled with people entering throughout the day. Without the precise knowledge, they’d just be spinning their wheels. Besides, business’s like to protect their information and prefer court orders. Knowing and demonstrating a specific risk helps convince skeptical managerial types.”

Alison grimaced. “Yeah, half of my job is convincing mid-level executives to loosen their tight-fisted grips. It’s a bitch getting them to agree to anything without having to sweeten the deal with some free publicity.”

Almost a block short of the theater, someone the women didn’t recognize waved. They glanced at each other, but Dan grinned, so rather than querying him, they let it play out as he made his way to the cute woman in blue jeans and thin acqua blouse, though the plain steel-toes work boots stuck out—at least to other women.

“Taylor, glad you could meet us.” He shook her hand. “Girls, this is Taylor Knolls, Avery’s coworker.”

“Avery warned me you typically walk here at the crack of dawn, so I figured I’d catch you before you arrived. I’m eager to see how you operate.” She shook the other women’s hands, apprizing them. “This sounds like a real challenge.”

“It’s definitely intriguing,” Alison, ever the gregarious one, “though it’s frustrating as everything keeps shifting.”

“Actually, the basics remain the same.” Dan led them towards their objective, on the west side of the street to their left. “The other location, across the street, remains viable. This one appears to be a backup, and we envision each location has one. So, nothing’s really changed, we just never had reason to search for trouble before it reared its head and snarled at us.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.