Prophetic - Cover

Prophetic

Copyright© 2021 by Vincent Berg

09: Death’s Newest Guest

The boundaries which divide Life from Death
are at best shadowy and vague.
Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Edgar Allen Poe

Avery glanced around the table, toasting everyone. “I must say, you guys are certainly qualified for this. However, since we haven’t seen any indication of the explosives being used, contact me when you encounter it. I trust each of you, but the current standards in bomb making are continually evolving. With the current high-tech components, your roadside Afghanistan bombs aren’t in the same league.”

“Alison was the one who selected the team based on her contacts.” Thomas grinned at her. “She’s used to scheduling and distributing workloads. She doesn’t issue orders, but let’s everyone know precisely what’s needed, and leaves it them to accomplish it.”

“Though none of us are eager to discover how she’ll respond if we screw up,” Michael McGrath said. “She trusts us, but she also verifies progress, and isn’t likely to accept subpar work.”

“A girl has her standards,” she agreed.

“So, how did everyone manage to arrange time off for this little enterprise?”

“We all applied for extended personal days,” Thomas admitted. “We’re hoping ours jobs will still be there once it’s over.”

“Since this is so high profile, I may be able to help. While we can’t just swear you in as temporary officers, we can register you as confidential informants. It’s not much, but hopefully it’ll tide you over.”

“Frankly, we’re comfortable and can chip in if anyone needs help covering bills. But if you want to help, if someone called our employers, explaining we’re working with the police, it should preserve our jobs while we’re otherwise engaged.”

“That’s a little trickier. Considering the unorthodox nature of this investigation, the police department can’t condone or justify your actions it, so raising questions won’t help anyone. Though, if we’re successful, I expect everyone will fully support you. After all, it’s bad publicity penalizing the conquering heroes.”

“And if we’re not, chances are few of us will survive,” Jacob countered.

“Still, there are our families to consider,” Make countered.

“We still need to document the threat,” Avery added. “If we had any indication who we’re dealing with, or at least discovered some relevant fingerprints, it would make a significant difference.”

“Dan’s seen the leader,” Alison explained, “as the media televised him claiming credit for the attacks.”

“Damn! Why didn’t you say something?” Avery handed Dan a business card. “Call Detective Araceli and he’ll arrange for you to meet a sketch artist. We may be able to do facial recognition on him.”

Dan took the card, putting it into his shirt pocket. “I doubt he’s been arrested.”

“If they work for a major corporation, especially related to finances, it won’t matter. They’re typically fingerprinted, and the businesses keep their photos as part of the employee records.”

“That’s reassuring,” Dan said, his eyes glazing as they lost focus. Avery glanced at the others, who merely shrugged, so they all waited, which didn’t take long.

“Uh ... when you mentioned police department, it ... triggered something. I ... I saw someone.” Dan studied him, before nodding in recognition. “I thought so. Don’t worry, I have no idea who she is, but clearly, you do. So, now that you know what’s likely to unfold, I suggest you ensure everyone’s house is in order. I don’t understand why I saw it, but apparently something thinks it’s important. Be careful, because if anyone’s still in an existing relationship, it could get messy if it’s publicly exposed.”

“Is this how your visions normally unfold? This one seemed a little, unusual, as you were facing me the entire time.”

“I noticed that too,” Laura said. “His eyes shifted, but he kept looking at you.”

“As I noted, this wasn’t triggered by observing anything, but just after he referenced the city’s police department, I saw he and the girl. It played right in front of me, on his forehead. There wasn’t any sound, but I could see both your faces, so it’s possible it may be used against you at some point in the future.”

Avery glanced around, biting his lip before coming to a decision. “I’m guessing it’s my wife. Our divorce is taking longer than we’d planned—based on her demands on my future pension. I can easily see her using anything she discovered against me, as our breakup has gotten progressively worse aftere agreed to the split.”

“Well, I don’t know the context, and definitely couldn’t say anything yet, but ... just be cautious. The vision doesn’t affect our mission, nor any of us, so it’s got to impact you somehow.”

“Thanks for telling me. I will, as I said, the wife is looking for something to hold over me, and though we’re not currently doing anything, I can easily slow anything down until we’re both free and clear.”

“It is unusual, though,” Alison acknowledged. “Before everything’s been mission related, and the visions have increased the closer we get to it. Do you think this is related, something separate, or might this be a further increase in your psychic abilities?”

“I’m guessing the latter.” Dan stopped, taking a sip of his drink while wiping his brow. “Anytime these things change, it seems to herald something, but I haven’t a clue what. Still, this is the first time it’s actually helped someone, rather than heralding something tragic pending.”

He set his glass back down and leaned forward again, “though we were planning to identify and evaluate the second explosion site. That’s likely to take most of the day. Since each location is vital, it’s essential to plan how we’ll intervene.”

“Still, it needs to be done. Speaking of which, do we have enough people to act at three different locations at four different times, while there’s active panic in the streets? If we need to pull in some undercover officers, identifying the perpetrators is essential.”

“I hate to ask, but why are you unavailable overnight? If something develops, we may need to act fast, so you’re being out of touch may prove problematic.”

Dan and the two women glanced down, as Laura bit her lip. “It’s part of why he’s able to experience these visions, however it’s even more unbelievable than the rest of this scenario.” She glanced at Dan for confirmation before continuing. “Essentially, he spends every night visiting the land of the dead, and ... tonight he’s taking us along.”

“Wow!” Shortie Tompkins stated.

“I went with him the first time, just to prove his unique talents aren’t directly tied to these journeys. But having proven it isn’t dangerous, Laura’s accompanying us, hoping we can figure out how to communicate once there. We have a few ideas we’re eager to explore but are still unsure its possible.”

“Whoa!” Avery responded. “That’s out of my purview, but I can confidently convey you can’t be interrupted overnight! After all, having the three of you dragged out in the dead of night in an ambulance would only focus attention of each of you.”

“His story gets stranger every day,” Mike agreed. “Sometimes, it’s easier not asking the obvious questions.”


“Geez. Despite knowing it’s safe, and having already been there once, I’m still nervous,” Laura admitted, twirling her wineglass in both hands, taking only token sips.

“That why I offered wine, hoping it would relax you.”

“Honestly, I wouldn’t worry,” Alison advised. “The last time, I wasn’t even asleep. Dan never has trouble sleeping, so when he slipped into the void, me took me along. So, it won’t matter how tense you feel now, as sleep doesn’t seem to be a requirement.”

“I’m not sure whether that’s comforting or more terrifying,” Laura admitted, taking another sip.

“So, I was curious, how do you bring us along?” Alison inquired, taking a heftier drink, completely comfortable in Dan’s home. “Do you reach out beforehand, carrying us across? Do you feel yourself slipping away, then stop to grab us as you go? Is it a conscious decision, or an automatic one?”

“It’s a mixture,” he admitted. “As you suggest, it’s not like I fall asleep and then am pulled in. Instead, the voyage initially excites and ultimately relaxes me. That’s the key, being relaxed enough to let go, so I’m drawn in. Once it starts, your bodies will just go limp, which is why we feel so refreshing in the morning.” Dan chuckled. “But then, is anyone conscious of losing consciousness? But as I feel myself drawn from my body, I quickly check to ensure you’re there, essentially grabbing your soul and dragging it along.”

“Well, it didn’t feel like that,” she reflected, her eyes taking on a dreamy delight. “It feels like the gentlest of touches, not physical but a momentary merging of souls, as if part of yours enters mine, and as they merge, fills me with peace, so I feel secure throughout the voyage.

“It’s not as if I’m actually ‘pulled’ out of myself. Instead, it’s like I simultaneously exist in two separate worlds, and can only remain there for so long, before I return. Thus, it’s not a conscious thought. It’s simply fate, rejoining my disjointed spirits. I guess that’s why I feel both so energized and relaxed. Knowing I’ll awake rejuvenated relaxes me, while having visited my other self energizes me. In the end, spending my entire waking day here exhausts me, explaining why I fall asleep so quickly and why I go so willingly.”

“I hate to ask,” Laura asked, taking a bigger drink, her eyes no less leery, “but what’s your limit? Will an additional person cause you to drop someone midway through, or could you take a dozen if you had to?”

“No, I doubt I could take anyone else. I have to feel close to anyone I take. In a way, our souls have to already be connected. I doubt I could pull Gio or even Chrissie along, as we don’t share the same connection.”

“Is that because of your breakup?” Laura asked, the caution dropping from her eyes. “Or because your deception broke your previous trust in one another?”

Dan shrugged, taking another sip before answering. “I never envisioned this until Alison forced the issue. I was as surprised as anyone when it succeeded, and like you, terrified that taking her one way, I couldn’t bring her back. So, we’re all making this up as we go. But you and Alison share the same connection to me. We not only trust each other, you’re the ones driving me to try new things and accompany me during the day.”

Laura put her glass aside—still half full. “That’s the most reassuring thing you’ve said all night. Wine is nice, but it only makes frightening things scarier.” She reached out, taking their nearly empty glasses. “Let’s put these away and head to bed. I’m as relaxed as I’ll ever be, and delaying will only dilute the confidence I’m now feeling.”

“No,” Alison countered, standing and taking her glass. “I’ll handle cleanup. Being familiar with it, I’m not worried. Dan, help her get comfortable and I’ll join you in a few minutes.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.