A Tall Young Girl - Cover

A Tall Young Girl

Copyright© 2020 by Bronte Follower

Chapter 8

November 13, 2017

“What were your favorite parts about your long weekend?”

The tall, young girl looked at her mother sitting next to her father, and answered, “Spending so much time with so many of my friends. The pickup game was good, but just being with so many fun and interesting girls was the best part. I’m really looking forward to the scrimmage tomorrow because I’ll get to play with Charlize. Think about it! I’ll be playing tomorrow on the same offense with three girls that were first, second, and ninth in goals scored in the premier league and two girls that were first and tenth in most assists in that league!”

She looked at her mother as her expression became more serious, “I really ... I didn’t really understand that I was so much better than the other girls on that team this summer. I am ... amazed when I step back and ... realize that I’m playing with girls that were most of the ... critical players on a premier team of the next level up, a premier team that won the state competition. That I’m also playing with high-school girls, and I’m not even 12, yet. Wh- ... what did I do ... to ... get this...”

After she got a bit in control, the girl burbled, “I know there are ... clubs that kids live at while they learn to be better players and also do school. Beth and the others say that a lot of the pros come from those clubs. Mom, Dad, I want to be as good as I can be, but I’ve...” She inhaled deeply, and continued with, “I’ve only just found these great friends...” she sniffled loudly “and I’m not sure that being as good as I can be w- ... w-would be w-worth moving away from them. I’m glad we can’t afford those clubs.”

November 24, 2017

On an upstairs deck at the back of a house, a tall, young girl was taking part in a wide-ranging conversation with quite a few adults and some older girls. It was mid-afternoon and a late-30s blond couple began the process of leaving, which caused the girl to frown.

The girl’s father said, “It was nice to meet you, Scott, and good to see you again, Debbie. Please, announce the present.”

The blonde woman turned to Civia, saying, “Our contribution to the presents for your birthday is that Charlize is staying, while we get another weekend away from our annoying child,” the latter sentiment belied by the grin on her face.

Civia’s face lit up, her frown disappearing, and she responded, “Oh, thank you! This is the best birthday... ever!”

The girl’s mother smiled at Civia and said, “There’s another present for you from all the parents, and Sandy will announce it.”

Civia whipped her head around to look at the mother of one her very best friends.

“The present that all three sets of parents give you is another whole weekend with your friends. We’re...”

Sandy’s words were interrupted by Civia squealing and wrapping her arms around one of her two semi-adopted moms.

Sandy put her arms around the girl, saying, “I wasn’t quite finished. We’re leaving you in charge. Please have the girls in bed by 9...”

Sandy’s words were drowned out by riotous laughter from most of the girls present and loud chuckling from the various parents. Civia hugged herself more tightly to Sandy, then hugged Sandy’s husband and her wife, her own parents, then Charlize’s parents, the latter something of a surprise to those parents.

“Thank you, thank you, thank you, everyone, for the best birthday EVER!”

She proceeded to hug all six of the other girls, her face beaming with happiness.

December 15, 2017

The tall, young girl with a gym bag over her shoulder was standing just inside her middle school’s grounds waiting for a dark blue Suburban. Her eyes looked excited and there was an obvious incipient smile waiting to light up the environs. She lifted onto her toes in excitement when she caught sight of the vehicle for which she had been scanning for what might have seemed an interminable five minutes.

A quiet, squealing, “They’re here,” slipped out between her teeth, despite there being no one close enough to hear it and despite that she was talking only to herself. She probably only barely noted how much brighter the area around her was.

“Civia!”

“Liya!”

The darker-skinned Indian girl who had yelled the young girl’s name as she had opened the right-side rear door and stepped out pulled the girl into a tight hug.

“We haven’t seen you in nearly 24 hours!”

From within the hug, Civia replied, “I know! More importantly, it’s been two whole weeks since the last sleepover! I’ve been going through withdrawal.”

“Get in,” the tall black driver said. “We can do appropriate greetings at the house.”

“Of course, oh slavedriver Meka,” Civia riposted.

She grinned at Meka as she climbed into the Suburban. The Hispanic girl sitting on the other side of the front bench seat pulled Civia into a one-armed hug in welcome, and Civia briefly thought of how much her life had changed since July, as she couldn’t remember a single loving hug given to her by other than her family before then.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.