A Tall Young Girl - Cover

A Tall Young Girl

Copyright© 2020 by Bronte Follower

Chapter 11

February 25, 2018

The tall, young girl walked in the front door like an invading army, her tall, not-quite-so-young friend and her friend’s mother in tow.

“Emma, you’re welcome to take a nap in my parents’ room. We’ll be quiet.” When Emma began to object, Civia, said, “Really. They won’t mind at all, and it’s quieter in there than it will be in the living room.”

As Emma stared at Civia, the tall, young girl thought about her best friend, Beth, who had taught her about being firm with parents when she knew she was right. She could not imagine having done something like this last year. Of course, last year, she had no friends to invite into the house, and particularly no friends ... and friends’ parents ... that her parents liked a lot!

Emma nodded and said, “Thanks. I just didn’t sleep well last night, and I’d like to be more awake when Jeff and Kalina get home.”

On the spur of the moment, Civia hugged Emma as she said, “I hope you get a good nap in.”

Emma was obviously uncertain about the hug at first, but then pulled Civia in tightly, and said, “You and your family are making things better for me and mine. Maren seems much happier and I certainly am. Thanks ... for this.”

“My parents and I are, too. They really like you and we like having you and Maren visit. I think we’re a lot less lonely, particularly with the Thursday get-togethers. Before that, we didn’t do much ... socially, except occasionally with my grandmother and the odd cookout at the Williamses’.”

“I’ve certainly enjoyed Thursdays. It will be interesting to see how the hot tub works out. Thanks for the offer of a bed for a nap. I think I can find my way.”


The two tall girls were talking quietly in Civia’s room, again sitting shoulder-to-shoulder at the head of her bed when Emma poked her head in the door.

“Thanks, Civia. I got more than an hour in, and I feel a lot better. Do you know what Kalina has planned for dinner?”

“Oh, yes,” Civia responded as she looked at her clock. “And it’s time we get it started. Do you want to...”

“Of course, I’ll help,” Maren responded. “What are we making this time? Will it be as ... interesting as the last dinner?”

“Mom ... and Dad, too, a bit, but Mom’s gotten a ... a bug, I guess, from the Williamses and is now trying lots of new dishes. It’s been ... interesting, fun, and mostly tasty.” She looked at Maren, answering her question, “It should be fun. It’s a ... I don’t remember, but the recipe’s on the kitchen table. We could probably have it completely ready to eat by the time they get home.”

Emma responded, “I’m sure they’d appreciate that.”

“Then, let’s go do it!”

In the kitchen, Civia picked up the recipe reading the dish name, “Cherry tomato and ricotta pasta bake. Oh, I love ricotta! Does that sound good to you guys?”

“It sounds delightful,” replied Emma, while Maren nodded at her mother’s words.

Civia’s parents returned to their house smelling of Italian food cooking.

As she entered the kitchen, Kalina said, “It sure smells good, and thanks ... everyone, for doing that.”

Emma responded, “You’re welcome, but it just seemed like something I should do since I grabbed a nap on your bed, I was so tired this afternoon. Civia said it would be okay. I hope it was. I tried to make it look like I was never there.”

“That’s not a problem at all, Emma. We like you and Maren being here. We’ve been enjoying our time much more since Civia realized that she’s allowed to have friends from more than one source. You two are a large part of our ... new, more satisfying lives.” She changed tacks, asking, “I assume you three were out and about today?”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.