Dentistry - Cover

Dentistry

Copyright© 2020 by Westside24

Chapter 1

At one time Bradley Crawford thought he could as it was said, “See the light at the end of the tunnel.” That was the thought he had when he was three months away from graduating from the UCLA school of Dentistry. That was the good news but there was also the bad news that it soon would become time to start paying down the large student loan he had received which enabled him to attend this four year dental school. Paying back this huge loan was a worrisome thought that was constantly on his mind.

In watching the television and in reading the newspaper he saw where the Wilkinsing Foundation had a program for medical doctors and physicians assistants that would pay off their student loan if they agreed to practice at a location they selected for a specified number of years.

Brad wondered if this program applied to dentists. A google search gave him the phone number of the headquarters for this program which was Lake Lancer, California.

His phone call there connected him with a lady who he asked if they had this tuition forgiveness program in operational for dentists. Her response was to tell him no but she said the way things were going that maybe someday there would be such a program. She encouraged him to complete an on-line application that they would keep on file. With nothing to lose Brad did complete and submit the application.

Brad being newly licensed secured a position as an associate at a dental clinic that was located in Irvine, California. The owner of this practice said he was two years away from retiring and would be putting this practice up for sale at that point in time. Brad thought about buying this practice but there was the question if he could get a loan to do this and if he could that would be piling additional debt on top of his student loan.

One late afternoon Brad received a phone call. The caller introduced himself as Troy Kane and he said he was a Director of the Wilkinsing Foundation. He told Brad that he had reviewed the application Brad had previously submitted and there was an opportunity occurring that Brad could be interested in. An appointment for discussion about this opportunity was setup.

At the agreed time Brad met with Troy and was interviewed by him. Troy went over Brad’s application and asked some questions to include a question about the amount of his student loan. Troy then told him about what was being planned.

“I don’t know how much you know about the Wilkinsing Foundation. We started off in giving grants mainly to improve the communities as to the medical facilities located in various parts of the State. We then branched into seeing that all citizens in a State can seek medical treatment either through a doctor and physician assistant who is located nearby. The program is currently being expanded now to other States. That program blossomed from an idea Doctor Brandle who worked in a clinic that we had established in Lake Lancer, California.”

“The reason we established a clinic at Lake Lancer was because John Wilkinsing’s mother who lives there with her sister. She told John that there wasn’t adequate medical services there. Based on her comment John asked me to establish a clinic there which we did. Guess what? John’s mother now has told him that there aren’t adequate dental facilities there and they need to do almost an hour’s drive to see a dentist. Because of her comment John has asked me to see that a dental clinic is established in Lake Lancer. This is the opportunity I mentioned to you that you might be interested in.”

“We are in the process of constructing a dental clinic building based on recommendations of Hartz Architects. The building will be completed in about two months. Denzil Dentist Supply has been authorized to supply that building with all needed furnishings, equipment and supplies. I am responsible for hiring the dentist for this facility and I have asked Valerie Brandle the CEO of our Doctor and Physician Assistant program which is located in that town to hirer the remaining necessary staffing for the dental clinic.”

“I am offering you the position of becoming the dentist there. We have had Borzman and Associates analyze the situation and they tell us one dentist should be sufficient for a town of that size but depending on business that could change. This offer of employment comes with a salary of five percent less than what the current national average is for dentists along with our commitment to fully pay off your student loan. This five percent reduction is because of us paying off the loan and the reduced cost of living there. In return you will need to sign a contract to agree to practice dentistry there for seven years. How does that sound and are you interested in doing that?”

“What happens after seven years?”

“One of three things: You can just walk away free and clear of any obligations. You can also continue to stay there and continue to practice just as you were doing. Your last option is that you can buy the building from us. By that I mean an appraisal of the building will be done and just the building and not the dental practice. You can purchase the building for twenty five percent less than what the appraisal says the building is worth. We can also make arrangements for you to be given a low cost loan to do that from another department we have.”

“One thing I failed to mention. We do not envision this to be a dental clinic that is going to be supported by the foundation. We will fund this operation for three months and at the end of that time our analyzation indicates that it should be a cash flow positive operation. If not, cuts in salaries and staffing will be needed to be made and those adjustments will be done by you. This is a business we are establishing there and not a free walk-in dental clinic. Well, what do you say?”

Brad was quite for a short while thinking about the pros and cons of the offer. He would be debt free but he would be living in a small town for seven years. On the plus side he would be receiving a decent salary. LA was having a variety of problems so maybe the small town living might not be so bad.

Standing Brad extended his hand to Troy and said, “When do I start?”

Troy told Brad that he will start drawing his salary two weeks before the building is completed and ready for occupancy. He also told Brad he could advance some of his salary if he needed it for a down payment on any property he would be purchasing. He gave Brad the contact information on Valerie Brandle.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.