My Second Chance, Book 2 : Grade 10 - Cover

My Second Chance, Book 2 : Grade 10

Copyright© 2020 by Ronin74

Chapter 37

Monday, Jan 29th, is the first day of the new semester. This time, the school has given me a reasonable schedule. Both my classes are in the morning, leaving my afternoon free. Because of the last principal forcing me to become a part-time student, I’m still not able to be involved in school sports or other competitions.

At lunch, I just get seated beside Carol, and a round of applause breaks out. I look up to see Jennifer in the meal lineup with Moira. Jen is blushing, not used to all the attention. She shies away from everybody as they make a spectacle of her. It is evident that she is nervous and wants to leave, but she tries her best, and Moira comforts her with a hug.

Before they get to the table, I pass word to both sides, “Nobody is to ask her how she is doing. She has gotten enough of that, and at this point, asking her is more about you than it is her, so knock it off. You can say you are glad she is back, but that is about it. Treat her as if nothing happened. She is your friend, not some zoo animal to be your entertainment.”

After getting their food, Moira and Jen make their way to our table. As they pull out their chairs across from me, I say, “I’m glad you are back in school. It is good to see you.”

“Thanks.”

“I hope I’m not too presumptuous. I know how people get, so I warned everybody to stop bugging you about how you are doing and get back to treating you as a friend.”

“Thanks.”

“Listen, I know people assuming what you need can also get frustrating. Tell me if I step out of line. If you can’t, then tell one of my girlfriends, and they will kick my ass for you.”

She almost smiles but doesn’t say anything, so I try one last thing, “I notice you are flustered. Do you want me to move to another table?”

Her sexual abuse mostly came from boys our age, and it was boys our age that put her in the hospital. Months of abuse can mess with a person.

“NO, sorry. It isn’t you. It is everybody paying attention to me. Why did everybody clap when I entered the meal lineup?”

“Aren’t you the modest one.”

“I’m not modest. I really don’t know. Is it because of what happened to me?”

Dahlia almost laughs but holds it in as Moira explains, “No, honey. They all know that you were attacked because you helped Trent to end the abuse. Most of them would never have taken the risk. You’re a hero.”

“I don’t feel like one.”

“Do you want us to tell everybody not to treat you like a hero,” asks Carol, who just arrived.

I answer, “That would defeat the purpose. She doesn’t want to be doted over. I’m sorry, I’m doing it again. Jen, you know I have been through some things myself, and I sometimes think I know better. If you want me to shut up, just say so.”

“It’s ok. You did save me.”

“You saved yourself unless you are talking about in the bathroom. That was Kurt, one of my bodyguards. He is the guy that kept checking with your parents to see how you were doing. Once he got your attackers off you, it was Jane that helped you out.”

“They wouldn’t have been there if it weren’t for you, so it was still you.”

I was hoping that things were over, that we could get our three friends back, Debora, Ashanti and Jennifer. Deb and Ash can’t seem to tolerate being near each other. Ashanti started hanging out with Kim, and Deb has been hanging with Moira. I have no idea why they switched.

Deb is just leaving the meal lineup when she notices Jen sitting with us. Her smile fades, and instead of sitting beside Moira, as she has been of late, she sits at the end of the table. I can understand it. The three girls were punished for each other’s actions. Seeing one another also reminds them of what they have been through.

The rest of lunch is just small talk and trying to get things back the way they used to be. As the bell rings to send people to class, Moira leaves with Jen, and I hold Carol and Dahlia back.

Once Jen is out of earshot, I tell the girls, “Perception here is more important than reality. You are not to let Jen see you talk to people about her, but you are to tell everybody to back off with the hero worship and asking her how she is doing. For now, everybody treats her like they used to.”

After school, I head to work, spending an hour doing university studies before getting down to business. Even though it is only the first day with the new school schedule, I find an immense weight lifted off my shoulders, being able to get more done in less time.

It isn’t often that my girls ask for time off, but they ask for Saturday afternoon off. With the extra work I am able to do during the week, I have no problem with them taking time off. They wanted to hang with Jen, and I figure it would be good for all of them.

I get home at 6:00 pm that night, in time for supper. We have a houseful. All my girlfriends are there with Blair, Kevin, Debora and Jennifer. Jen and Deb are better than they have been but are still tense in one another’s presence, and they sit at opposite ends of the table, so they don’t have to speak with each other.

At the end of the night, I am heading for my room to get some paperwork for Moira to take home, and I witness an interaction between Jen and Deb.

Jen is going to leave when she meets Deb in the foyer, coming back from the bathroom.

Seeing one another in private for the first time since their ordeal ended, they both break down crying and hug each other.

Through the sniffles, Deb says, “I’m sorry.”

Confused, Jen asks, “What for?”

“Ash and I made things worse for you. We only wanted to help.”

“Oh, Deb, I’m the one that is sorry. Nothing you did made anything worse. I was going to end up at his house anyway. I’m the one that set you up. I’m so sorry.”

“Both you and Trent warned us. You have nothing to apologize for.”

Not wanting to ruin the moment for the girls, I head back to the living room.

Monday afternoon, Paul knocks on my office door.

“Come in.”

“Hey, I thought you should know, Kim just quit.”

“Did she say why?”

“She said she wasn’t needed anymore and didn’t see the sense in staying.”

“I feared this would happen. Kim always was a little short-sighted. Then again, we are still kids.”

“Don’t hold it against her.”

“I wasn’t planning on it. When I told her that I still loved her, I meant it ... Would you mind training somebody else?”

“Who did you have in mind?”

“Carol. Dahlia and Moira will always be my personal and executive secretaries. I would like one of my girls to be security. I honestly think Carol is a better fit than Kim anyway.”

“If that is what you want. You are the boss.”

“Give me time to talk with her. As for Kim, unless you need her, tell her that she doesn’t have to fulfil her obligation of two weeks notice. If she wants, she can go home now. Come to think of it, she is security, and I don’t know if she is turning vindictive, so she probably should go home.”

“I’ll get right on it. I have somebody watching her, but I thought I should talk to you first.”

“Why don’t you send her in, and I will tell her?”

“Sure thing, Boss,” He says as he leaves to get her.

I am curious whether Kim is trying to distance herself from me because she feels guilty or because she is being a typical teen girl and is twisting things, so it is all my fault.

I hear a light knock at my door, so I say, “Come in.” Kim tentatively enters, and I tell her, “Take a seat.” She does but doesn’t say anything. “Paul says, you quit.”

“You don’t need me anymore.”

“I wasn’t lying to you when I said I still care about you and that you still have a job here.”

“I know.”

“Is this really what you want?”

“Yes.”

“You do know that I invited you here so you could have the opportunity to explain yourself?”

“What the hell do you care?”

“That isn’t fair. You know that I have always cared.”

“Whatever.”

I slide a pad of paper towards her and say, “I need your resignation in writing.”

She snatches the pad and a pen off my desk and jots down, ‘I quit,’ and signs it.

“Date it, please. It’s the 5th today.”

She does then throws the pad and pen at my desk. The pen falls on the floor and the pad in my lap.

“I’m sorry, Kim, but I don’t know if you are feeling guilty about what happened or if you are becoming vindictive. Hand your keys to Paul and get a box from Moira. Clean out your desk. You will be escorted until you go home. Moira or I will bring your last check to school.”

She storms out of my office, slamming my door. I can see her throw her keys at Paul, giving him an earful for talking to me about her quitting. Then she takes her anger out on Moira because she is the next closest person. To Moira’s credit, she doesn’t say anything to inflame the situation.

While Kim empties her desk, she has two of my bodyguards standing over her. She doesn’t ignore them. Instead, she yells at them too. I’m sure they have experienced worse but not under my employ.

I page Moira, at her desk, saying, “Could you please find Carol for me and send her to my office, thanks.”

“On it.”

I don’t have long to wait before Carol knocks on my door.

“Come in.”

“You wanted me.”

“Always, oh, you mean what is it I need to talk to you about.”

“Cute and yes.”

“As you can see, Kim is packing up. She quit.”

“I’m sad to see it come to this.”

“Me too. The thing is, I have plans in the future where it will not always be possible to have hired security by our sides. I need one of my girlfriends to fill the bill. That was going to be Kim. Honestly, I think you would be a better fit anyway.”

“Are you asking me to take over Kim’s job?”

“Yes and no. I need you to study as she did. I’m not going to throw you in the deep end as I did to her. Paul will still be your mentor, but he will delegate most of your training. His job just got more complicated with us moving the headquarters of our companies.”

“So, what does this job look like?”

“You will start on the lowest rung on the totem pole, as building security. When Paul thinks you are ready, he will promote you to the next level. Eventually, you will be his second, but that is years down the road. It does mean that I am stealing your spring break.”

“What for?”

“First aid training.”

“I’m not thrilled with losing my holiday, but since you won’t be here anyway, I suppose it isn’t that bad.”

“I take it, that means you accept the new position?”

“Yes, you big dummy.”

Wednesday, when I get home from work, Dahlia hijacks me, “I have a favour to ask, and it is important.”

“Spit it out.”

“Jen needs a little help. You’re safe, and probably the only boy she trusts. She needs somebody to show her that boys can do more than lust after her body and treat her poorly. She needs to know that she is worth loving.”

“Do you understand what you are asking?”

“I’m not asking you to make love with her or anything. Just hold her on occasion. Let her cuddle you while we watch TV.”

“With her problems, that will give us a level of intimacy that will likely lead to sex. Even if I can prevent things from becoming physical, is it fair to your sisters for me to become more mentally intimate with another girl than I am with them?”

“I can’t believe you are saying no. Jen needs you, just like I do.”

“I didn’t say no. Talk with your sisters and have them talk with me. If they agree, then I will do it. Just be warned. By doing this, you will be forcing me to have another girlfriend.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.