18 April 2009 - Cover

18 April 2009

Copyright© 2020 by Mustang

Chapter 2

“Tina, we didn’t expect to see you here for several more weeks. I guess tonight’s prenatal class may not be necessary.” Nurse Peggy Anderson said as Tina was wheeled into the preparation room.

“Neither did I, Peggy. I’m worried. Our babies aren’t due for at least two more weeks!”

“Let’s get you changed and have a look. About half of twin births are premature.”

Dan was asked to leave the room as Tina was stripped of her clothes, a hospital gown put on, and placed on the wheeled bed. Her legs were placed in the chrome stirrups, which opened her pose. She could feel Nurse Anderson’s hand touching her as an assistant placed a pad around her belly with several electrodes and a probe on her finger, then turned on the machine.

Tina looked at the machine, which showed different numbers. “This is a cardiotocography, or CTG for short, that you and your husband were shown during one of your prenatal classes. It measures your baby’s heart rate and also monitors the contractions in the womb,” the assistant mentioned. Tina could hear the rapid double cadence of her twin’s heartbeats.

Moments later, Dr. Jean Clements, head pediatrician, entered the examination room. “Hi Tina, so your babies have decided today is the day to meet you and your husband. Let’s see if they’re right.”

“I’m very concerned that they’re coming too early.”

“Twins, identical or fraternal, quite often don’t go the normal full forty-two weeks, usually from thirty-five to thirty-seven weeks and on.”

“I’m at thirty-two weeks.”

Tina couldn’t take her eyes off Doctor Clements. Given the opportunity, she’d coax her into bed to share with Dan. Her blue-coloured scrubs couldn’t hide her slender figure with full breasts that pressed against her top. Jean’s crystal-clear blue eyes matched her own, and she had a smile that would melt anyone’s heart.

“I thought we might be able to delay your labour for two more weeks; however, you’re already dilated by four centimetres. The babies’ heart rates are good at about 130. Did you feel that?”

“Yes, it did hurt a fair bit, like a sudden stomach ache.”

“It’ll soon hurt a lot more. You had a contraction.”

“How long do you think until I have my babies?”

“You won’t be going home today if that’s what you’re wondering. I figure you’ve got about two to six hours before the first one comes out.”

“Two to six hours! I’ll be worn out!” Tina exclaimed.

“Welcome to motherhood,” Jean kidded. “Wait until you’re up at two or four in the morning putting a baby to each nipple and fighting to stay awake.”


Dan was allowed into the preparation room, immediately going to Tina. He took her hand in his and kissed her. “I guess you’re going to be a new daddy today,” she smiled, then her eyes widened to another contraction.

“You’ll be able to see your feet again,” he joked.

“Do you know the sex of your babies?” Doctor Clements asked as she used the ultrasound probe to look at them.

“No, we’ll find out soon enough,” Tina replied.

“We’ll be happy no matter what the combination is,” Dan added.

“I know you’re both excited to meet your new family, though I must caution you. As you’ll recall from our prenatal classes, full-term babies can normally go home the next day if there are no complications.”

“However, your babies will be delivered at thirty-two weeks, and the odds of one or both going home tomorrow are highly unlikely. We will test them against a standard they need to pass to be considered healthy enough to go home soon. We’ll examine their breathing to see if one or both need a ventilator or just a breathing tube. How well will they accept breastfeeding? How are they able to maintain their body temperature?”

“How long would they have to stay in the neonatal unit?” Tina worried.

“Depending on their condition, it may be a matter of days to several weeks.”

“Weeks before we can take our babies home?” She expressed looking at Dan.

“Hopefully they’ll be healthy enough to leave in a few days,” Doctor Clements smiled to assure them.


Over the next ninety minutes, Tina’s contractions grew more frequent and intensified. Dan made several trips to the waiting room to keep the others up to date on Tina’s progress. She dilated almost twice as much, to seven centimetres. She had wanted to have a natural birth; however, the pain was too much, and she opted to have an epidural to numb the discomfort.

Tina had trouble getting comfortable. An extra pillow behind her back was soon moved to one hip or the other. She wasn’t allowed to drink any liquids but was allowed to suck and chew on ice chips.

It took her another hour to dilate to nine centimetres, and she was developing the urge to push.

“Practice your breathing from your prenatal classes,” Nurse Anderson said. “We’re going to move you to the operating room to deliver your babies. They may need to go into an incubator if they’re having trouble breathing or if we have to attend to you.”

“Please tell me everything is going to be alright!” Tina fretted as she was wheeled into the operating room.

“I know you’re feeling anxious; you’ll do just fine,” she smiled.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.