Rachael and the Sultan's Daughters - Cover

Rachael and the Sultan's Daughters

Copyright© 2023 by Rachael Jane

Chapter 14

While the slaves are being fed and watered, I take the opportunity to talk with my father about the fate of Amina and her sisters. I had initially agreed to allow him two weeks to find someone willing to pay a ransom for them. Even though there are six days left, it now seems highly unlikely any family will be traced.

“We need to decide what to do about Amina and her sisters,” I say. “It now seems certain that they must either be enslaved or abandoned to their own fate. The five youngest ones are going to be difficult to sell, but the older ones can be trained, and they should fetch a good price.”

I deliberately don’t mention the semi-precious stones we found in Amina’s dress. Until I agree ownership of the sisters with my father, he could claim the stones for himself. Although simply letting the sisters go free would be a solution, we both know it is tantamount to a death sentence. They would be at the mercy of every rogue and pimp in the city. The older ones would likely be forced into prostitution, and the younger ones left to starve.

“The girls are all yours to do with as you wish. I have too many other matters requiring my attention as city warlord. Not to mention running Wadi Halaf. There are times when your management skills are missed here.”

For my father, his last sentence is a compliment of the highest order. I don’t push my luck however and I take my leave. With my father’s permission I borrow a couple of his guards to help escort the seventeen new slaves to the Halls of Valhalla.

Zoe, Hanna and Isa have done a good job at preparing for our arrival. The large training room has been vacated and Hanna has taken Beyza and Nazli to purchase more food supplies. Zoe stands ready to help me document and process the new arrivals.

Meanwhile, Isa has taken charge of keeping Amina and her sisters occupied somewhere out of the way. In light of the reported public execution of their siblings, the fewer people who know of the girls presence here the better. Information is valuable, even for a slave. It isn’t unheard of for a slave to be offered favours, or even freedom, in exchange for valuable information. With seventeen new arrivals, keeping the girls’ identity secret is going to be a challenge. Hopefully the distance between our two lands will be an adequate barrier.

I have the new slaves assemble in the large training room. For now I keep them locked in a single marching chain, but I’ll need to divide them up later. Language is our first hurdle and I ask Zoe to fetch Amina, who can translate my words into their own language. I warn Amina not to reveal her identity, and to confine herself to translating my words and the slave’s reply.

We process the slaves in numerical order based on the identifier Rafa marked on their arm. Zoe records both their number and given name in the Halls’ records, although for now I call them by their number. Through Amina, I ask about their skills and experience and Zoe makes a note of those. I also ask if any have relations living locally who might be willing to buy their freedom from slavery. None of the women know anybody who can help them.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.