Rachael and the Sultan's Daughters - Cover

Rachael and the Sultan's Daughters

Copyright© 2023 by Rachael Jane

Chapter 10

I position Hafsat and Esme ready for punishment. They lie on their backs on the floor. They are compliant since I warned them to expect an additional punishment if they resist. I tie their ankles to a horizontal wooden bar. The bar is attached at either end by chains to the ceiling which can be adjusted to raise or lower the bar. Once their ankles are secure, I raise the bar so that their legs are vertical and the soles of their feet exposed.

“This type of punishment is called bastinado,” I say for the benefit of all concerned. “It is painful, but it doesn’t leave any marks.”

I take a quick look at the watching slaves. Their expressions show a mixture of fear and curiosity. I’m pleased that none of them show any signs of trying to intervene. Amina, Beyza and Nazli are no longer shackled, so any of the slaves present could try to stop my actions. That they don’t is a positive sign that they recognise that Hafsat and Esme are deserving of the punishment they are about to receive.

I don’t delay any longer. Three swift strokes of a light cane on the soles of each girl’s feet has them reduced to tears, but they don’t struggle more than I expected. I lower the bar and release their ankles from their restraints.

“Amina, you may now attend to Hafsat. Isa, come and help Esme. The rest of you may resume whatever you were doing.”

I go to my office and attend to preparations for tomorrow. I receive a visit from Amina about fifteen minutes later.

“What will happen to Hafsat now, Sai?” asks Amina.

“That depends on her. She and Esme broke the Halls rules. They have both been punished as a consequence. The matter is closed. Unless either of them intends to continue their dispute, I have no reason to do anything further.”

“Aren’t you interested in listening to Hafsat’s reason for fighting with Esme, Sai?”

“No. A slave’s first duty is to obey the rules she has been given. There is no justification for breaking those rules. I will not tolerate fighting between slaves. It’s important that you all understand that. A harsher owner could have sent Hafsat to the slave market, or beaten her far more severely than three cane strokes on the soles of her feet.”

“Hafsat is having difficultly adapting to being a slave, Sai,” says Amina. “Please be tolerant of her faults.”

“I am being tolerant, Amina. I have been a slave for most of my life, so I know what a newly enslaved woman needs to learn to survive in her new life. It is better for her if she learns to adapt sooner rather than later. A slave has no rights, and her very life is at the disposal of her owner. Think hard about that before you decide about the use of the gemstones that were sewn into your dress.”

“Yes, Sai. Thank you. May I return to Hafsat now?”

“In a moment. First I want to give you a piece of advice. Your sisters look to you as their leader and they will follow your example. That places you in a dangerous position. Outside these walls, each of you are on your own. A slave is an individual. She has no family or friends she may call on to support her. Another slave who tries to come between an owner and slave risks being punished for interfering. You must encourage your sisters to become independent and, above all else, you must stop acting as their guardian. The sooner you all learn that, the safer you will be. Now go relay my advice to Hafsat and then resume your duties.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.