Adventures of a Greenie, Green Marine (Vol 3) - Cover

Adventures of a Greenie, Green Marine (Vol 3)

Copyright© 2020 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Chapter 7: The Wurgus

The planet and the system had many names, but to most it was known as Summit Peak. Like the Planet of Universal Peace, this world was also famous for being a place for important meetings between space-faring societies. It was almost forgotten during the height of the First Galactic Council, as such trans-society meetings took place on the Planet of Universal Peace. However when the Original Galactic Council became a farce to most because of the Kermac demanding sole control and the rise of the United Stars of the Galaxies, this place was remembered. Almost all of the known spacefaring societies agreed that a place of neutral ground was always needed.

When the last big war ended, a war that involved almost everyone and the Freespace treaty was signed, both the Planet of Universal Peace and the Planet of the Poho were deep in Freespace. The other place of such meetings was the World of Old, but it was now in a region of space, most considered Union Space, and thus became inaccessible to anyone not in alignment with the Union.

While many societies still maintained observers on the Planet of Universal Peace, it had lost much if not all real significance.

The Shiss delegate had entered the ancient Hall of Universal Convention. It was at the very peak of the highest mountain of Summit Peak. Most had forgotten about the Oxis, the ones credited with establishing this meeting place during the time of the First League. The Oxis were also known as the Gentle Ones, but that was indeed a very long time ago. If the legends were true, the Oxis vanished even before the Shiss discovered fire.

Unlike the Oxis, this place was never really forgotten and a community of Invisibles maintained the Hall and the rest of the infrastructure.

Hizzukz, the official Shiss delegate, and a Gray Throat followed the robed, green-faced Invisible as he had never been here before to be guided to the Shiss section in this sizeable rotunda.

Of course the Invisibles were not really invisible, but an institution, a society serving the delegates during the Galactic Council meetings for over 25,000 years. Never speak unless spoken too and act as if they were invisible.

The Shiss believed that most Invisibles belonged to an Oghr species unrelated to any of the Shattered Kingdoms. The one guiding him was about 200 cm tall, had green skin and short husks.

The rotunda itself had been chiseled or carved out of the granite of the mountain itself.

It happened that the Shiss recess was right next to the one for the Kermac. The white-skinned Wizard was the same he had spoken to, before.

After he settled on the stone bench, which took him a moment, as he needed to find a seating position that accommodated his long tail. Clearly, these stone benches were not made with Shiss physiology in mind, he looked around and noticed most of the seats were already occupied by the delegates of their respective societies, but he did not see any Wurgus, nor did he see the anyone associated to the Union. Leaning back so he could see past the dividing stone column and said to the Kermac. “Has there been a delay announced? The hour of the Summit draws near and the Wurgus have yet to take their seat.”

The Kermac reacted annoyed. “Shiss know your place. Address me with the respect and I so rightly deserve, better yet find a more subservient pose and tone. Is it not enough that I must suffer this collection of inconsequential vermin?”

A second Kermac, standing behind the seated one, with his thin arms buried in the sleeves of his white pleated robe. “Shiss, heed your place when addressing a High Wizard. I am delegate Swenuonul. It is I you talked to before.”

The seated Kermac snorted. “You lowered yourself to speak to ... ah yes a Shiss?”

“The magnificent and wisest Supreme Wizard designated me to be the liaison in this matter. Do you question this, High Wizard Fivtweneun?”

The seated Kermac he quickly responded. “Of course not, the Supreme Wizard is wise and appointed a suitable person, Wizard Swenuonul.” The seated wizard smirked in a very subtle way. “Our wise leader had without question made the right decision to appoint you to mingle with low creatures of Non-Kermac origin.”

The Shiss knew of the legendary arrogance and aloofness of the Kermac, but witnessing it first hand was another matter altogether. He felt insulted and blustered. “The Kermac have lost much of their influence and importance, forced to attend a meeting beyond their realm. It is not a wise thing at all to aggravate a Shiss.”

“Heed your place, Shiss. Bow and beg for...”

The Kermac standing behind the High Wizard motioned the Shiss to join him. “Let this be a summit, not an occasion for open conflict.”

The seated Wizard paid no longer attention.

The Shiss joined the Kermac, still fuming. “The Kermac are at war with the Union already, adding enemies is not wise at all. Shiss do not easily forget insults.”

“And the Shiss are well-advised to accept Kermac superiority in all things. This is but a temporary situation, aggravated by an upstart society that will soon fade. Now let us focus on what is at hand.”

The Shiss made a motion with his clawed hand, pointing across the rotunda. “At hand is a summit of those who shape the fortunes of this galaxy. The last time Wurgus participated in such an event is barely remembered, but everyone is aware of their technology and impressive ability to manipulate and even destroy suns. Nomads of space they are, much like the frightful Dai.

Now the Summit is at hand and the delegates found their seats, yet neither the Wurgus nor the Union have yet to make their appearance within these halls. Have we not seen them arrive?”

“We have indeed and I am certain they are on their way. I foresee an escalation of the war.”


The Wurgus patriarch, his entourage, and the Union party were still right there on the landing field. The Stellaris Union Consul tried to encourage the assembled group to proceed to the rotunda of the truly ancient Hall of Universal Convention. “Your majesty, Admiral, Sir. I am sure most if not all delegates are already congregated, and while there are other topics and agendas to be discussed. You all know of course that this is really about you the Wurgus.”

The Klack agreed on that. “Your kind has not participated in any such meeting or summit. The Wurgus did not take part in the last big gathering where the Freespace Treaty was agreed upon. Now you signaled that you would participate if the meeting were held here on Summit.”

Patriarch Mursitun, the Wurgus pointed out to be a historian gestured with his hands and signaled agreement. “Wurgus have little use for such gatherings. The last time we agreed to meet with Union representatives ended in an assassination attempt and until then we all were opposed to any further Union contact, but the actions and more so the words of this young man have changed much of our opinion indeed.”

The Wurgus at the center of his entourage, the All-Patriarch spoke. While he addressed them all, it was apparent he first and foremost spoke to Stahl. “We have met before, Eternal Warrior and we listened to many voices that spoke about you. Those who oppose you and are called enemies, those who call you ally and friend, and to those who declared themselves neutral such as the cunning Golden. The voices were many and reflected every emotion we know of. Yet they all agreed that you are of the greatest integrity. I personally also experienced the young man, and he still carries the token, it is unchanged in color.”

Roy looked at the small blue cube. “It can change colors?”

“Yes Masterun, while we Wurgus have little talent for what many call psionics. We know of it for a very long time, the Lontghk Token dedicates itself to the recipient’s mind. In a way it acts somewhat like the Poly Analyzers we know your police are now using. It turns red if you ever acted dishonestly. It remained blue all this time and this was the main reason we wanted you to partake in this.”

A Wurgus that had not spoken before repeated the same gesture. “Indeed, Masterun. We wanted to know if an average Union citizen, not a trained diplomat would keep the word and act the same as in the manner displayed. It is an old test indeed, but you have passed.”

Roy looked at the speaker and then at the little cube. “What does this mean, I have passed? What exactly was I tested for?”

The Wurgus patriarch again spoke and again he mainly spoke to the Admiral. “We know of your conflict and your objections coming here. We do have ears and eyes in your Assembly. We know you objected to giving us Wurgus special privileges and wanted us to apply for Union membership. Admiral Stahl, please escort my delegation to Pluribus and we will do exactly that. The Wurgus will apply for Union membership, and welcome the PUMA process.”

The Stellaris, the Klack, Roy, and the Admiral were quite surprised by this. The Admiral was the first to speak. “The Devastator is in orbit and we can provide you the requested escort. Yes, I objected. Not against Wurgus membership, but against the way it was supposed to take place, by invitation and not by application, it is the Union way regardless if it is a civilization that just managed to break the light barrier or the Narth themselves.”

The Wurgus Patriarch extended his hand like appendix in a clear gesture for a handshake, the Admiral did not hesitate to accept. Sensitu said. “We would have left and never considered Union membership if an invitation would have been extended. As I explained to this young warrior. We value honesty over everything, and your conduct confirmed it.”

The Admiral smiled openly. “These are values I understand and Union law does not prevent me from becoming a sponsor.”

The Stellaris smooth chrome face could convey emotions only very limited, but even Roy was certain about the Consul’s excitement. “This is indeed a historical decision and will cause a great stir when it is announced up there in the Hall of Universal Convention.”

The gesture the All Patriarch made this time was different and Roy began to understand, this was a negative gesture. Sensitu repeated his gesture and said. “Then go and make the announcement, we care not what any of the assembled think about this. It is a Wurgus affair.”

The Patriarch made a half-turn towards his distant ship and spoke again. “Will you grant us the company of the Masters warrior? The Wurgus want to celebrate and laud his deed. We also want him to learn more about us Wurgus.”

The Admiral sighed. “Your majesty, Roy Masters just began his training in a different military branch. I already stretched things to make this meeting possible.”

The Stellaris interjected. “Your Majesty, the Admiral does not have that authority to grant your request, but I can. As the duly appointed Union representative, I hereby order you, Roy Masters, to accompany the All Patriarch as a Union liaison.”

Roy was completely overwhelmed by this. “Sir, I am a Marine recruit and I was given only a short leave of absence. What about my career and my life?”


Martha was right behind Sam as they stepped on the shuttle platform. She carried a small hastily packed suitcase, while Sam carried no luggage at all. “Where are we going again?” She asked.

“We going to do some RAvE work within Union space. Damn, I never thought I would say such a thing,”

Martha did not understand what he was saying and made a puzzled face as they entered the inter-system shuttle that would carry them to Harper’s Junction.

Sam pointed at seats next to a window portside. “That seems to be a good seat.”

As she sat down he added. “I don’t know what’s going on, Martha, but my guts tell me that there is much more to it than it seems.”

“But we are Union citizens in Union space and we are home. Should we not be safe?” Just as she said it she pressed her lips together. “Yes, we may be safe, but not Geha.”

Sam sat down next to her. “I didn’t plan to leave Green Hell so soon again, but I have been searching for you in Freespace and picked up some information that makes me worried about your safety even in Union space.”

“Geha?”

“Yes, Geha and that other companion of yours, that Kermac Experiment. I did some research on both after we returned, mainly for my report to RAvE but also to tie up some loose ends in my mind. It is a character flaw of mine. I can’t let go of something until I have the answers I need to rest my mind.”

“What kind of loose ends?”

“I wanted to know why the Zheng He was attacked by pirates. Why you were aboard it in the first place. How you ended up on Alvor’s Cove and I wanted to know more about your companions.”

She didn’t even notice the shuttle taking off, she was focused on Sam. “The position of the Zheng He and its course was revealed by a traitorous woman working at the Explorer department, was that not so?”

“Yes, Martha, but why? Why use such an asset to obtain that information?”

“Was it not done under the leadership of the Kermac?”

“That’s what they say, but you and I found out that there is more than one group within the Kermac society that not necessarily have the same agenda or even know of each other. Why did you leave Green Hell in the first place?”

“I was offered the scientific command over an expedition to DEWE-00123, a planet discovered more or less by accident as it is in the unexplored Downward sector. The first survey discovered a sentient species dwelling within lava, utilizing thermal energies. I am considered somewhat of an authority in this field.”

Sam nodded slowly. “I checked on that. DEWE-00123 was discovered as they looked for a suitable booster station to connect Rim-Shot with the Galactic Bar. After discovering a sentient species on DEWE-00123 they settled for another system close by and called it Line-Backer. That is no mystery in itself and I am sure they will eventually reach the Galactic Center. What puzzles me is why they offered this to you? I know you say you are an authority in this field, but you could not possibly be the only one. As I said I checked, and you were also considered to be the successor to Dr. Harrow and endorsed by Ivan for that position. Green Hell, might not be a very high priority but neither should a planet be, located far beyond Union space.”

She frowned. “I wanted it. I didn’t know about Ivan’s endorsement and I did not care about Roy or Paul. All I cared about was my career, the science command over an expedition often leads to a recommendation within the Ivory Tower to take a lead position at Science Central and eventually to be considered to join the Hive of Minds. My grandfather Professor Aaron Berezovsky is a member and so were eight of my family’s ancestry before him. You do know about the Hive of Minds?”

Sam nodded.” They say only the brightest minds of all the civilizations that made up the Union were invited to this elite of intellect, science, and wisdom.”

She turned away to look past the transparent material of the viewport, to see Green Hell revealed as a planet and slowly getting smaller, but her eyes now moist with tears did not see the planet or deep space. “I met my grandfather very recently and he put in words what I begun to understand just before I left Green Hell the first time. I made terrible decisions. I can not even begin to understand the emotional damage I caused to Roy over all those years. He is my child and I only have begun to understand what this means very recently and most likely too late.”

Sam put his big hand on her knee. “I think I know Roy a little, and in all the years he came to me, he never said a single disrespectful word.”

“No one, not even I, his mother knows him better than you, Sam. You don’t have to sugar coat it. I am certain even Charles knows him better.”

Sam smiled. “I don’t sugarcoat anything, Martha. I said Roy never spoke a disrespectful word, but there were many nights when he was young when he silently cried over the cold and emotionally cruel way you both treated your own child. He eventually stopped talking about you, but he was ready to put everything on the line to search for you. Never forget that, Martha. Your son still cares about you.”

She gave him a thankful look.

Sam grinned and added. “Charles is sentient, I don’t know if he always was or developed into a sentient machine over time, but if a machine can love something or someone I doubt there are greater love and dedication in this universe than Charles has for Roy. Charles is my friend, but the robot’s dedication to Roy is on a whole different level.”

“Where is Charles? Why is he not with us?”

“I didn’t expect to go off-planet so soon and I do have some business commitments, Martha. The Farm is my retirement and I take it easy, but it is a farm. We do sell Hell Ade and we have a contract with a Pharma company. Charles takes care of these things while we are gone.”

She nodded slowly. “I understand, and this brings me back to my initial question. Where are we going again?”

“Sares Prime, Martha. That is where your friend Geha called from.”

“Yes, I understand and yet I still want to believe in the Union and the lawfulness of our system. Is it all a lie?”

“I am not smart enough to answer your question for certain. I too want and do believe in our Union, but it is so big and since times began there have been those who circumvent or exploit the laws and conditions. Our laws are good, but what good is a law that isn’t enforced as it should be?” He sighed. “No, Martha I don’t think it is a lie. There are those on top who can’t be compromised.”

“But we are the Union, we don’t have leaders. We have the Assembly.”

“Our form of government is still developing and I don’t think we have yet reached its final state. Look at the office of the president. It has changed much in just our lifetime. From being a quite influential position with much cloud to an office that is now declared obsolete. I still think we have those who are more influential than others. The Klack Queen’s opinion for example. That insect is deeply respected, dare I say beloved by pretty much every Union citizen, Klack or not. Or how about Mothermachine, that Sentmac AI does not speak very often, but when it does, her opinion more or less becomes the opinion of everyone and thus Union law. Union representatives always listen when McElligott speaks, and the entire Union cheers when they hear the Eternal Warrior voices an opinion. In his case I am guilty to do the same.”

“I never paid much attention to those so-called Immortal guides. Until lately I paid no attention to the military or the fleet. Before I left Green Hell, I considered...” She stopped herself and blushed.

Sam rolled his eyes. “Martha, I know of your and Paul’s opinion about Marines and the military, Roy told me about it. Your opinion is not a widespread thing among the majority of Union citizens, but not as uncommon as one might think among academia. Green Hell still is primarily a science-based community.”

Now it was she who put a hand on his knee. “Sam, I have changed my opinion. My ordeal has opened my eyes to the reality of a bigger Universe, but what does this mean to our current situation?”

“I don’t know Martha. As I said I did some research and while I was chasing after you I learned a few things from a Norkana friend. Your friend Geha was not just anybody, but the chosen of a Dai Prince. She was revered as Than. While I don’t know much about these red-skinned warrior nomads, I know this is a title or state that normally excludes females. The Kermac think she is a formidable psi talent and from what I understand she hails from a virtually forgotten, very controversial background. You do know about Novaj Dioj and the Privileged, right?”

“Only what I could find on GalNet.”

“We have time and not much to do until we reach Harper’s Junction. This shuttle trip takes about an hour if I recall. Why don’t you tell me what you know about the Novaj Dioj?”

Martha shifted in her seat to easier look at Sam and begun. “I think the story begins before there was a Union, but after the Ascent when the sudden access to new biogenetic engineering technology and the first scientific understanding of psionics created a

new sub-species od man around 2100 OTT, called the Super Humans.”

Sam nodded. “While most of the approximately twelve million superhumans, were law-abiding citizens. About 25,000 became virtually insane and drunk with power and a feeling of supremacy. Terrible crimes were committed. I remember reading one of these superhumans defend his terrible acts with a shrug saying: ‘I committed the Crime because I could’.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.