Adventures of a Greenie, Green Marine (Vol 3) - Cover

Adventures of a Greenie, Green Marine (Vol 3)

Copyright© 2020 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Chapter 19: Next Stop, Green Hell

Geha felt almost as miserable as she had in the Portel room on Lorman’s Starbase. While she was free of the tormenting mocking of that infuriating woman calling herself Jane Smith and was no longer compelled to betray the ones she loved, she knew her life was a lie and that her real name was Sybil Putnam. Her body was perhaps not even the one she had been born with. Geha only knew for certain that she wasn’t the girl she always thought she was and that her existence was based on deceit. She felt glad to be reunited with Martha and Sister; each of her friends was alone it seemed, their lives forever changed in the slave pens of Alvor’s Cove.

Martha had managed to enlist the help of an enigmatic woman, with apparently enormous resources even within the Union and independent of NAVINT and fleet. Geha, Martha, and Sister each had been on a strange odyssey, a journey that did not stop for any of them even after their apparent rescue in the Forbidden Forests of Phantas.

The woman helping them called herself Cherubim. A name or a title that meant nothing to Geha. Geha did not understand the agenda or the motivation of this Cherubim to help them.

Currently, they were aboard a very small satellite thing in a polar orbit around planet Earth.

She remembered still only vague things about Sybil Putnam. There was this mental echo of faint voices making fun of her name, claiming that it should be Cybil and not Sybil. Another such insubstantial voice of her memories explained that this was the way Privileged spelled that name. It seemed odd to her that she suddenly remembered unimportant things like that. Another such memory revolved around a simple, soft material doll. She remembered Missi, the smiling face, the braided hair made of thick strings of some kind of fabric. Missi, unlike other toys, had no tech incorporated but still came to life in her childhood memories. Other things like her Union school days were vague and more than just incomplete. The closer she got to adulthood in her dreams and memories, the more vague and incomplete her memories became. Somehow she knew that her new personality, that of Geha had blotted out the rest. She recalled next to nothing about Geha’s childhood but Geha’s memories got stronger with every year of memories. Her recollection of her teenage years growing up with Bas, the son of the Tar was crisp and clear. She could remember the smallest details. Of course, this was her true mission and purpose, to remember everything about the Dai.

Terribly confused about her own identity, she was terribly ashamed of her betrayal of the ones she loved. As a Daiyee of a very large Dai Tribe and a fighting female, she was educated like all the other fighters and warriors. Thus she prided herself knowing the spaceships of most of the spacefaring societies. However, what approached the small satellite station was something she had never seen. Somehow it did have Union distinct elements, but it was unlike anything she knew. The approaching ship looked almost like a spider or perhaps a clawed hand with four talon shaped articulated arms.

Martha was not an expert on spaceships by a long shot. To her, it was a thing one used to get from one planet to another unless there was a Space Train Connection. She was a biologist and machines of any kind were there to function and do their thing. She never really cared about how a machine did what it did. She too watched the approaching thing; to her it was just another space-born vessel.

Similar to Martha, Sister had no clear reference to spaceships. Her collective memory fragments did not provide her with a clear reference she could use.

Geha estimated the ship to be about a thousand meters in length. A better estimate was virtually impossible, as space provided no clear reference to size. It was Union fleet gray and despite its somewhat organic shape, did not look organic at all.

Cherubim entered the small community room that served as a dining and sleeping compartment. “Ladies our ride is here, conditions aboard the Tarantula are much better than here.”

“Where are we going?” Martha asked.

“We are going to Shadow. That is the name of a dark object, well beyond the Oort Cloud. It is a planetoid about a parsec from here and it is the base for the TSI. Only a very few know it exists.”

“And what will we be doing there?” Again, Martha asked.

“We hope we can correct the Psychosurgery done on Geha and, if she wants, to send her back to Freespace. We also hope that we can convince Sister to help us find the Cripple Techs, namely the Knorr-Magi. You, Martha are integral to get your son to help us to access the key.”

“What key? You mentioned an alien machine. What has he to do with that? I must also ask, what is your ultimate agenda? I do not like involving my son in anything, especially not into anything I don’t know about. I appreciate your help and getting all three of us together and away from those who hunt us, but I can’t betray my son.”

The woman called Cherubim responded. “I understand your concerns and your position. Roy will not be forced to do anything and it will be the Eternal Warrior who will ask him to assist. I will explain it all to you in detail, but we must leave this Satellite now.”

--””—

The Saran woman known to Lulea as Panya Keket, landed the flyer almost two clicks from Eastmain on a small unoccupied island.

She smiled deeply and turned to the Saran spy. “They are all there.”

Lulea still had the Kermac scanner on her lap. “I don’t see anyone.”

The disguised Kermac laughed. “Do you think you and I are enough to take down an armed marine and a robot, take the Experiment into possession and take it to Kermac space?”

The Saran spy had to agree, neither of them had enough firepower to do so. “I was wondering about that, to be honest.”

“You saw me lie down, did you not listen in?”

“Of course not, I would never invade someone telepathically. It is against the law.”

“You are a spy. You conspire against this cursed so-called Union and you are afraid of breaking such a silly law?”

“You are a disguised Kermac, have you not been briefed on the Psi Laws? They are not silly, and while I committed terrible crimes against the Union, because of my own stupidity to be honest, the PSI laws are sacred to all Union people. They are anything but stupid. Would the Kermac not wish something similar?”

“Why would we? The lower masses are forbidden to read the minds of Wizards. Wizards have mind shields. How else can we rule? We don’t need such silly laws. The universe knows of our superiority and our right to rule with all the tools and gifts we have.”

Lulea was thinking about turning herself in, the convictions that turned her against the Union had long eroded. All that kept her in line with her Kermac handler was the fear of what Union law did to convicted spies. She also knew the Psi laws were not just words and formulated ideas, but they were enforced. Aloud she said, after looking over the empty dirt beach. “Neither the sensors nor my eyes can see anyone out there. Are you sure whoever you are expecting is here?”

“Of course, I am sure. It took us years to assemble such a clandestine force on this primitive planet. It is mostly abandoned; the ones with real power live in that torus anyway.”

Now she saw it; wafting shapes emerged from the water. It looked as if twenty ghosts, almost completely invisible shapes surrounded the flyer. The disguised Kermac could not suppress her triumphant laugh as she said. “You are fortunate, little Saresii to be alive and under my rule. Twenty-five Chistel Teep warriors surgically altered to blend in and five genuine Clerks, armed with the latest Union weapons, shields, and adaptive camouflage. They are more than enough to deal with an old Cerberus and a stupid retired marine.”

“Latest Union weapons and suits, how?”

“This is our greatest triumph, over these brainless monkeys. We own and operate a genuine weapon test and evaluation company. Right here on Earth, directly under their noses. Earth is where the cursed Union gets their weapon ideas and we are here.”

The disguised agent opened the side door of the flyer and said loud. “You have your orders. Secure the Experiment, a being with red skin and four eyes and obliterate any witnesses. Let no one escape.”

The shimmering shapes returned to the water. Lulea said. “They will use GalNet to call for help.”

“No, they won’t. We can’t duplicate it yet, but we can jam it. Another advance I will take home to Kermac Prime and once we can mass produce it, the war will quickly change to our favor. Kermac victory is possible now. Resurrected warriors, copied Terran weapons, and taking their ability to community. Saresii vassal, you are seeing the beginning of Kermac Universal victory.”

--””—

It was a sunny morning. Crisp and clear, the long strips of pebble beach stretching along the banks of James Bay. Sam and Phil were sitting in the sun-flooded dining hall of the clean and cozy Eneyaauhkaat Lodge. Each of them had a serious breakfast before them: eggs, hash browns, sausages, bacon ... the works. There was fresh and strong coffee in big mugs.

Charles was standing by the window. He did not require breakfast and the wooden chairs in this place would not hold his weight.

Sam used a piece of freshly toasted bread to mop up egg yolk and said after eating it. “The breakfast here alone is worth the trip, Mr. Decker.”

The immortal detective, also busy with his breakfast nodded while chewing and then said. “We went over this, Sam. You can call me Phil.”

“Alright, Phil, even though I can sense you are indeed one of the Immortals and this creates a feeling of awe. You guys radiate it.”

“I was born in 1912 right on this planet. I am Terran, Sam. Just like you. I was not picked by that guardian to be an immortal guide like venerable Stahl. He, chief among all Immortals has indeed become the Eternal Warrior. I am not a guide, Sam. I have no supreme purpose like the 200 picked by that Guardian. I am just a policeman, a detective and there is nothing else I want to be. That I am a little over three thousand years old is a fact I like to ignore for the most part.”

Phil leaned on his elbows as he reached for his coffee mug. “I looked into your background and history, Sam. It is I who is greatly in awe about your exploits and your story, especially what you have done as a RAvE man. Finding someone’s trail out there beyond Union space is nothing less than amazing to me. This is real detective work my new friend, and you did it under conditions many would think of as impossible. No, Sam don’t think of me as some supernatural being on a pedestal, just because my body and mind have forgotten how to age.”

Sam slowly nodded. “I very much appreciate your offer of friendship, Sir. I mean Phil.”

The immortal detective looked up to Charles. “How about you?”

“I am a machine, Phil. I do not sense anything when you or Admiral Stahl are present. I have downloaded and consumed all that is available on you and I do share Sam’s awe and respect.” Charles fell silent and after a short moment, the machine said. “Analyzing and recalling the incidents where I met the Immortal Warrior, I must edit my previous statement. None of my sensors detected anything other than human, but still, I was in great awe.”

Sam smiled looking sideways and up. “You are not really a machine anymore. I think you developed a soul, my Ultronit friend.”

Then he took a sip of his coffee. “Martha, a hooded and obscured figure and a woman was here two days ago, but they have vanished. Pierre’s flyer is still there, and nothing is missing in terms of transports around here. If they walked, where would they have gone? There is nothing out there that could be reached on foot.”

Phil looked out the window. “It’s the woman she was with; I think it was Cherubim. I have suspected her to be involved since I arrived and began looking into the case. There is a chance that there is some kind of hidden TSI facility somewhere nearby.”

Sam followed the man’s gaze and asked. “Who is Cherubim?”

“I don’t know, Sam. I never actually met her. She is an immortal, I think. Others believe many individuals are operating under the same moniker.”

He waved the waitress for more coffee and continued. “Cherubim has been active since I have known about Extraterrestrial life, or since 1957 to be exact. Long before there even was a United Earth. Neither McElligott nor Stahl was even born back then. Cherubim back then acted as an assassin, leaving Black Roses as her calling card with every victim. She was and technically is my oldest unsolved case. Over the years she became involved with the TSI, which is a forerunner of NAVINT or ANA if you will. Created by Earthers as an intelligence service, Terran Space Intelligence was small compared to the Gray Cats of the Saresii for example. But like the Mossad of my time, they were the best. Officially disbanded and merged with Union intelligence services like all the others, some say it still exists with Earth and Terra as focus, even over Union interests.

Cherubim, I think is an immortal and like me, not picked by the Guardian. I think she is among the most powerful psionic talents, combining all gifts. Telekinesis, Teleportation and Telepathy, and all versions of these abilities. This is only an assumption. However Martha’s sudden deep knowledge in field craft, the disappearance of the one they call ‘The Experiment’ and the similar unexplainable disappearance of the one called Geha, last seen right by the entrance of the official NAVINT building on Lorman’s Starbase lead me to this conclusion.”

“I followed these three women to a place known as Bhrama Port, deep in Freespace. The three vanished only to resurface deep in Union Space. Martha returned for a spell to Green Hell and this is how I got involved in all this right now.”

“I know, Sam. I’ve had an eye on Green Hell since the Saresii-Saran shipwreck incident and the invasion of Kermac agents. I was there at Ant Hill when everything suddenly changed. Cherubim appeared in voice and as an avatar, I think, and she recruited a Union Police sergeant. Nothing of him remained, no records, no one remembers him ever to exist. Erasing someone so completely is difficult and it was done masterfully.”

Sam’s gaze got lost in the distance. “Yes, it was a very strange victory. Admiral Stahl and the Devi arrived, but I am certain it was something else that caused the ground victory before the Immortal arrived.”

“That is where we must go next, Sam; Green Hell, as all my leads point to that world of yours.”

“Yes, I think Charles and I are ready to go home anyway. I can always check out South Carolina at some other time. I begin to see the same, all paths and trails lead back to Green Hell.”

Phil took another sip and then said. “I think it will start soon. They are here.”

Sam nodded. “I had the same feeling.” He got up, pressed a sensor on the battle armor he was wearing completing the seal and activated shields. “Time to put this baby to use.”

Phil was impressed. “Looks like a Special Forces Quasimodo Mark III, where did you get this? It’s not even out for troops yet.”

“It was a gift of the Marine Commandant after the Eternal Warrior suggested it.”

“Seems Admiral Stahl did not forget the former Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps.”

“I was the Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps for the Corps, Phil. A boring desk job, and the main reason I retired. I was and always will be Stahl’s Gunny with the Steel Gauntlet, and no he has never forgotten. Charles remains Charles because of him.”

The robot said. “I am an SII Cerberus IV Main Battle Robot and before I became sentient, I was considered military surplus. After the battle on Green Hell, I was fully restored by orders of the Eternal Warrior and, like Sam, I was fortunate to receive a few upgrades while we were in San Francisco.”

Sam drew his TKU, “Charles, go to full battle mode. Light up all upgrades.”

Sam, then said. “Phil, are you not having battle suit protection? I have a feeling you will need it.”

Phil Decker carefully placed his Fedora on his head, giving the rim a brushing gesture. “I am wearing my trench coat; that will do.” The immortal detective did draw his antique-looking colt.

“Your trench coat?”

“I doubt there is a weapon in this universe that could harm me while wearing it. I learned my lesson in a warehouse not so long ago, never leave home without it.”

--””—

The Ancient Teacher pulled his elaborate robe over his head in a surprising move deep in the Forbidden vault, revealing a modern black Saresii Catsuit. Alegar looked like a statuesque beautiful woman as this was the Saresii society standard. The Ancient Teacher, according to his claim was born during the First Age of Knowledge, where males and females were distinctly different in their appearance. The change to an all-female appearing society occurred after the Long Night and during the Anti-Male Hysteria.

Alegar stood there watching this strange behavior and asked. “Master Alameda, why are you shedding your robe?”

“Is it not customary to travel in more appropriate garments, I do not want to advertise who I am to everyone.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.