35 - Houston, Opening Act, Alone - Cover

35 - Houston, Opening Act, Alone

by Coach_Michaels

Copyright© 2020 by Coach_Michaels

Romantic Story: Two weeks prior, Paula had appeared onstage in Canada without Paul. It was rough on her, but she managed. Now, it's the little boy's turn. -- I'm numbering them so that they will be listed in chronological order. Every now and then I might stick something in that happened before something else.

Tags: Tear Jerker  

Saturday, December 5, 2015

FADE IN, ARENA, HOUSTON, TX

The arena is filled with people; the rumors have been flying. The child couple, Paul & Paula 21, has been separated via court order and thus cannot appear on stage together. A week ago, determined to give the fans the concerts they want, Paula had appeared on stage, without her boyfriend. Presumably this week Paul will appear without his girlfriend. Though the children had been the opening act and the headliner, Michiko Takahashi, has more Top Ten hits, tonight there is more buzz about the opening act than about the headliner.

Takahashi has done nothing to discourage this; in fact, she has mentioned the children in two different interviews and last week she took time out of her own concert to play a recording of the two singing the song she wrote for them, “Emotional.jpg.” At the end of the show she asked those in the audience who believe in luck to wish Paul and Paula luck in getting back together, and for those who believe in prayer to pray for their re-unification.

When the stage changes instantly from full dark to full light, nine year old Paul Macon is standing girlfriendless on the stage as expected. Gone is the Colonial Period costume, the sharp suit, or the tuxedo. The little boy is wearing a white dress shirt tucked into black slacks and a pair of black dress shoes, as if he were on his way to Sunday school. There is considerable applause, as the determination that the show must go on is admired by their fans.

PAUL: Thank you. I’m sorry Paula couldn’t be here with me, but I’ll do the best I can. I hear she put on a good show last week.

The audience applauds as their way of agreeing, but at the same time it’s rather sad: “I hear she put on a good show.” He wasn’t there to see it, of course. The court order which kept Paul from appearing on stage with Paula also banned him from the audience, as they are not allowed within a thousand feet of each other.

PAUL: I did watch a few YouTube videos; nobody told me I can’t do that. This song was tough on her and, well, I think it’s going to be tough on me too. But hey, it’s our song. So, let’s go.

Paul begins to sing “Hey Paula” and for the first five lines it sounds just the same as always. Several people who are in the audience will later report that they closed their eyes for this part, and not being able to see Paula’s absence could imagine that she was there. However, the next five lines have been sung, each time, by the little girl ... until now. As had been done last week, Wander Shyler’s keyboard takes the place of the missing singer’s vocals. It isn’t long before it begins to show on Paul; as much as little boys may not want it to be so, they cry too, and while no tears are visible until halfway through his next singing part, this was a part the children sang together. When it’s time for him to again sing alone, his voice cracks and he stops singing altogether. The band carries on, and then starts to repeat that part, but the nine year old boy waves his hands in the air.

PAUL: Stop. Just ... stop the music. Stop, stop.

The music stops as the boy wipes his eyes, tries to stop crying, and finds that he cannot.

PAUL: I ... I can’t do this.

The sobbing child abruptly turns around and leaves the stage. The audience murmurs and the band looks lost. They start to do a rambling jam, not any song that either or both children have ever sung on stage. After a few minutes Paul walks back onto the stage and picks up the microphone. The audience applauds loudly.

PAUL: I’m sorry. Boys are supposed to be brave. No boy wants to say that he isn’t as brave as a girl, but I’m just not as brave as ... as Paula. I can’t sing that song, but I can sing this one.

The nine-year-old sings the Beatles‘ “I Want to Hold Your Hand” and though his voice cracks twice, he doesn’t cry and he finishes the song. There are tears in the audience; they are very aware that he isn’t holding anybody’s hand. The child-couple would always hold hands as they sang this one, and it just doesn’t seem quite right that they aren’t. At one point Paul seems to reach out for a hand that isn’t there, but they can’t be sure. When the song is over the crowd lets him know that they appreciate what he is doing.

PAUL: Thanks again, everybody. You really are wonderful. We can do it; we can get through anything with all of you on our side. You’re really great.

UNSEEN AUDIENCE MEMBER: YOU’RE GREAT, PAUL! YOU AND PAULA BOTH!

This pronouncement is met with additional applause, and for a while it looks like the boy might not get to sing again this night. But eventually it does die down.

PAUL: Thank you. It’s all about love. I want to sing about love!

 
There is more of this story...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.