The Healer - Cover

The Healer

Copyright© 2020 by QM

Chapter 54

Withdrawal wasn’t any too easy, though the pellet-studded explosives in the barricades gave both wings of the formation we were using time to contract and move through a series of ports in the barriers that were swiftly sealed again, allowing the Troopers to use bomblets and stick bomblets to enable the centre to move back through the main port.

“Demolition charges have been set in various side passages, sir,” I was informed by a sub-Monitor. “Civilian evacuees are safely back beyond the next barrier level and heading to Hrunesh market.”

“Right. Begin evacuation of the Guardians and others. We’ll hold the line here for as long as we can,” I replied.

“Yes, sir!”

“Here come their heavies!” the Senior Monitor yelled out. “Hit them with bomblets. Try to hold them back!”

“Wonder how long this retreat is going to go on for?” Vrice commented as we observed the smaller aliens trying to scale the barrier, only for them to be stabbed at by the Troopers carrying falchions.

“Not sure, depends on their numbers,” I replied thoughtfully. “The general plan is to let them expand to the point where they will be forced to move their defence support around to face various attacks. Oh, and keep them out of the various higher levels of the blocks.”

“The last part seems to be working. The aliens aren’t doing much other than scaling higher to get at snipers and those who wouldn’t leave.”

“Yes, though I wish they had evacuated,” I sighed.

“Not sure if they were brave or stupid,” he nodded. “They certainly don’t stand a chance without armour.”

“That and the aliens can sense life force of some kind, so hiding is impossible.”

“So I’d heard,” he grimaced. “Oh damn, what the hell is that?”

“Behemoth,” I replied. “Slow as can be, but virtually unstoppable unless you can get an explosive block underneath it.”

“Not happening with this many aliens around it.”

“There is a way,” I replied. “Sound the retreat. Just leave me here with my picked squad,” I ordered. “I’m going after the behemoth.”

“Sir!” the Senior Monitor replied. “You heard the Officer! Move out after a stick bomblet volley!”

I, in the meantime, had grabbed a charge pack and a small grav-pack and set it up for a timed demolition. Other Troopers were also priming the explosives built into the barrier to explode outwards and into the alien press.

The last Trooper, other than my squad, had moved into the escape corridor. Also waiting behind our shields were a squad ready to deal with any survivors when the explosives went off, driving a mass of building material into the alien ranks. I then dashed forwards through the remains of the aliens in their front rank and slid the explosive charge on its grav-pack under the undamaged behemoth and darted back, chased by my squad and more than a few aliens.

Fortunately, surprise favoured me (as I expected), and I was back behind the squad’s shields as they beat a hasty retreat to the confines of the corridor. As we did this, the explosive charge went off under the behemoth and flipped it over whilst tearing its insides apart, though more or less leaving its outer armour intact, as well as taking out a few more aliens around it.

Once in the corridor, we carefully retreated as the aliens were taken out by various traps we were setting off, until, at last, we broke free and hurried to the next barricade to be hauled up and over it.

“That was seriously impressive,” Tillan said as we met up at the barricade.

“All about timing,” I replied. “We’ve noticed that the aliens stop functioning for a couple of centi-rotations if caught by surprise. It gives the likes of me time to get an explosive pack under a behemoth type and get away ... barely.”

“Yes, I was very worried when they all came at you.”

“So was I,” I chuckled. “But I trusted my squad.”

“Guess you’d have to.”


Once again the prey retreat from us!’ a master complained bitterly.

Only their fighting units. There are still many prey in their hive blocks,’ the senior Master replied.

There is no glory in hunting down lesser prey, nor much glory fighting those who hide behind barriers,’ came the reply.

You have attacked a barrier?’ the senior mocked.

My meaning was clear. We came here to meet a glorious ending and this prey deny us such!’

If you wish to lead the next attack, feel free,’ the senior shrugged. ‘Perhaps you will gain the glory you seek?’

I will indeed!’


“Looks like they’ve finished emptying their ship,” Herrick noted.

“Yes, we just need to relieve some pressure in regards to the various barriers and barricades we have set up and guide the aliens into some sort of trap where we have the advantage,” Amantil nodded.

“They’ve shown little sign of trying to cross over from one structure to another at any level than the ground. It’s like they have a blind spot there,” Vilgra pointed out.

“Yes, I’d like to keep it like that. The AIs have re-aligned the various linking pathways, though once we have the perimeter stabilised, we can use them to cross attack squads over to get behind the aliens,” Amantil replied.

“No doubt my Kiria will volunteer to lead, along with Kirim and Tillan,” David sighed.

“She’s already been in action,” Herrick replied, bringing up the tri-dee movie of her attack on the behemoth, causing David to wince.

“That’s my girl ... unfortunately,” David replied, looking glum.

“It’s OK to worry, Dave,” Cassire consoled him.

“I know and I do,” he chuckled morosely.

“Plus Kirim and Tillan are not equipped to take a primary role,” Amantil added.

“That’s true, though it could be dangerous if the aliens breach a line,” Vilgra pointed out.

“So far so good,” Amantil nodded, “Though we do know there is a large number of boss aliens who have not entered the battle as yet.”

“Yes, those are tough shleckers,” Vilgra agreed.

“Yep, only Kiria has taken one down as well. The one she did, took down over fifteen Troopers with ease.”

“We can assist with this,” Truvia, the primary Imperial bodyguard, spoke up.

“You don’t wear armour, so no,” Amantil replied flatly.

“Provide us with armour then and watch us teach these aliens respect.”

“You think I can just magic up armour?”

“Well yes, you are the Empress after all,” Truvia replied with a sly smile.

“The Armoury next to Hrunesh Block has a few spare sets of Guardian armour,” David intervened. “Better than nothing and with the bodyguard skill set, likely enough.”

“Oh, very well,” Amantil conceded after a long pause. “But, you only attack with the Troopers, not on your own.”

“Yes, Serenissima.”


I was busy going over the various dispositions of my forces with Commander Vrice when I noticed the addition of Truvia to the ranks.

“You sure you’ll be okay in that armour?” I asked after she greeted us both.

“It limits movement somewhat, but the extra protection it gives against these aliens means it’s a price worth paying,” she replied in calm tones.

“Who is protecting the Empress?”

“Galle drew the short straw and will remain at Her Serenissima’s side.”

“Doubt he’s happy at not getting to play,” I chuckled.

“He isn’t, but he’s a professional.”

“And your orders are?” I asked.

“To supplement your Troopers when a melee develops. I’m not to attempt anything on my own.”

“Works for me. Guardian armour is good, but not really good enough against these aliens if they get you one on one, no matter your skill set,” I nodded.

“The rest of us have been split between other commands,” Truvia added. “I believe we’ll be a help against these boss aliens. We’ve all studied your attempt against one.”

“I believe you will,” I nodded. “Glad to have you with us.”

“Looks like they’re mounting another attack,” Vrice warned.

“Yep. Let’s go.”


Dungloss (as he thought of himself), though not acknowledged with a name as yet by the other Masters, watched as the attack went in against the thin silver line of the prey until they were fully engaged.

Now! Attack!’ he commanded his bodyguards as he took a quaff of the elixir of life.

The effect of having a Master lead an attack spurred the Reelc into new heights of savagery as they sensed the presence of Dungloss. Though, as ever, the line of prey remained impenetrable, until Dungloss himself, along with his bodyguards, hit the line and he was able to rip into the prey with his gauntlets of power, ripping into their puny armour as his guards pulled other prey into the killing zone. This came to an abrupt halt as two other prey suddenly pushed into where Dungloss was almost exultant in his joy and used their blades to cleave his bodyguards into steaming piles of entrails and slashed armour.

Kill them!’ Dungloss screamed to the Reelc, as what had appeared to be a turning point turned again.


I spotted the boss alien as soon as our line began to fall apart due to his attack. Not waiting for support, I dipped into the ‘zone’ and moved to counter it before our line fell apart and allowed the aliens access to the poorly armoured defenders. I soon realised I had a companion in Truvia, who had joined in to help with my defence. She was using me, to an extent, as a shield to compensate for the lower quality of her armour.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.