The Healer - Cover

The Healer

Copyright© 2020 by QM

Chapter 20

Director Elloson representing the Florven Technocracy stepped out of the airlock and into the reception chamber of the Tafta space station and was greeted by Senior Comptroller Vangis representing the Trenoc Alliance.

“Welcome to Tafta,” he greeted Elloson after the official greetings.

“Thank you. I’m here to speak to the Empire regarding assistance in our struggle against these aliens,” Elloson replied.

“I’ll take you to the conference room where they are waiting.”

“I’m surprised they didn’t meet me in person. That is protocol after all.”

“This station is part of the Trenoc Alliance ... what’s left of it. The Empire are not in charge here and have repeatedly told me that. They are here to fight these aliens, not to take over Realms. They are quite happy to hear requests and help out where they can though. Hence bringing our people home as well as patrolling for planetary raiders on our now empty worlds.”

“It does seem odd,” Elloson replied after a moment’s thought.

“We thought similarly as well, but they are very different from us in the way they think and act.”

“Really?”

“Yes, that and the Empire is very remote from us as it took them seventy-five of our planetary cycles to reach us.”

“Presumably at high speed?”

“Yes, their ships are faster, though they haven’t said yet how much faster.”

“We did observe they can move deeper into a gravity well than our own ships.”

“Yes, quite ingenious, but not aggressive. We’ve had their Troopers and Fleet personnel here using the facilities for leave and not had a single incident between them and our citizens.”

“Seriously?”

“Apparently their AIs monitor them at all times and make them behave if necessary,” Vangis chuckled.

“Odd society,” Elloson replied thoughtfully as they moved through the station to the admin block.

“They’re used to it and seem quite happy with it, it certainly doesn’t stop them having fun,” Vangis replied. “Ah, here we are.”

The four people representing the Empire rose and gave formal greetings to Elloson before introducing themselves.

“I’m Admiral Hratt, this is Admiral Tret,” Hratt began. “These are our Flag Captains, Narro and Gollants. How may we assist you, Director Elloson?”

“First, may I give the official thanks of the Florven Technocracy for your aid in the defence of the Histed system,” Elloson began as both he and Vangis took seats.

“You’re welcome, but it was only one planet and we are still far too few to defend all the worlds here, plus nine others were reduced whilst we fought, as well as those who had been reduced before we got here,” Tret replied.

“Yes, we, the Florven Technocracy understand, yet are still grateful for those who were saved.”

“Thank you.”

“Could you tell me about your Empire? We have no records of it, nor any idea where it is.”

“The Vreekoosian Empire consists of three hundred and seventy-eight worlds and is ruled over by the Empress Amantil, her Nobles and her loyal Bureaucracy. It’s twelve hundred of our light years away and slightly inwards of you towards the core.”

“Uh...”

“Close to five thousand Florven light years,” an AI replied helpfully.

“Five thousand?”

“Yes,” the AI confirmed.

“That would take over two of our planetary years to reach.”

“Our ships are much faster, it took us...” Hratt paused slightly, listening to her AI comm, “eighty-two of your planetary days.”

“Seriously, that much faster?” Elloson gasped whilst Vangis looked shocked.

“Yes, there are various levels of XD space,” Tret explained. “You currently are running around on level one, we run at level five.”

“I don’t suppose you could sell us the equipment and theory to build our own?”

“When the Bureaucratic advisor arrives, negotiations can begin on things like that, as military it’s not in our remit as it has nothing to do with Fleet or Supply.”

“Yes, terms of payment or exchange will need to be arranged,” Elloson nodded, relieved somewhat by not getting a direct no.

“They will. The Empire is not averse to selling technology, it’s just that normally those who want it are part of the Interstellar Credit Economy we’re tied into,” Tret added.

“I’m sure we could find something,” Elloson nodded, wondering how far the Technocracy could expand with rapid transit and communications.

“Again, that’s not for us to decide,” Hratt noted.

“Agreed, but where would we stand if we needed aid?”

“We’d do our best to assist, but, we’re only two, soon to be four, Fleets and as your people witnessed, all we were able to do was fight off the aliens, not defeat them.”

“So you can’t win?” Elloson queried.

“We have better weapons being transported out, there may be more Fleets, including those of our friends and allies as well. But, at the moment, no, we can’t win.”

“The Florven Technocracy would like to be considered an ally of the Empire for this invasion at least. We’re certainly willing to assist in any way we can.”

“We’re certainly looking for local allies. So far we have agreements with the Trenoc Alliance and are assisting the survivors of the Realm of Heggesipe to relocate here before transit to the Empire to settle one of our culled worlds,” Tret replied.

“Will Trenoc relocate?” Elloson enquired.

“We believe so,” Vangis answered. “Currently we’re one decimated world left of what once were sixteen. Even if we were to remain, we’d be vulnerable to planetary raiders from other Realms as well as claim jumpers to our worlds. We’re still going over what it would mean to become Imperial citizens, but it does not appear to be a major lifestyle change.”

“The Florven Technocracy would be interested in your worlds and equipment and willing to purchase the title to them if we could find an exchange that would suit you,” Elloson offered.

“That would be up to the Empire, they currently control our sovereignty,” Vangis shrugged.

“What is it the Empire needs that we could supply?”

“It would be advantageous to have an easy supply of the following minerals and ores,” Narro replied, handing over a list.

Elloson’s eyes narrowed as he read over the list. He had no idea why the Imperials would need such material, but he was also positive the Technocracy could supply most if not all of it in bulk.

“I believe we could supply this in the quantities noted in order to gain title to the Florven worlds,” he finally replied.

“Assuming we win and you survive this invasion,” Hratt noted.

“Yes, there is always that. We have to rely on you to defend us from a terrible fate,” he sighed. “Yet it’s clear our pride will not help here.”

“We’ve supplied you with designs for missiles. So far that’s all we have that will work on these aliens, even then they shoot down or fool most of them,” Hratt noted.

“We’re beginning production, though most of our warships are not best suited to using them. Still the box design can easily be fitted and we’d at least be bringing something to a battle.”

“At the moment it’s a case of every little helps,” Tret replied. “Nevertheless, thank you.”

“No, thank you,” Elloson replied sincerely.


It was a great party as we, our medical group and the Regiment, celebrated our successes and losses. We even invited some of the locals to join in and gradually got to know them, even if the pause for AI translation was occasionally irritating.

“I still don’t understand why you’re so well behaved and generally courteous to each other,” Callifee, a station worker who was drinking with us, stated.

“Because we get zapped by the AI for misbehaving,” Torun giggled.

“Seriously?”

“Yep, but it’s fair enough as its generally for something we shouldn’t be doing or, in the case of us Troopers, for training purposes.”

“I don’t think I’d care to live like that,” he replied/

“Doesn’t bother us. We behave, we don’t get zapped,” Flinn chuckled.

“Plus, if we have issues, we can take them out in the training yards, including duels,” I added.

“Can’t remember ever being challenged though, but Healers don’t tend to irritate people,” she grinned.

“Happened to me once,” I replied before explaining the circumstances of my one and only duel with Optio Bavag.

“Seriously? Cheating in a grav-ball match?” Torun asked looking shocked.

“Couldn’t accept that his Troopers got beaten by trainee Officers,” I replied. “Plus I’d forced the dismissal of a friend of his who held grudges against anyone from the upper levels.”

“Oh yeah, heard of morons like that,” Torun nodded.

“Upper levels?” Callifee asked looking confused.

“The Empire is pretty stratified. Other than a few professions the various levels don’t mix,” Flinn explained.

“Doesn’t that cause envy?”

“Not really because it’s easy enough if you work hard enough to rise a couple of levels at least. Torun and I will leave Ground Force several levels above what we came in on. Lower level Troopers get lowest median level status automatically, though I’m not sure what our girl Kiria here gets.”

“Not sure myself,” I grinned.

“Sub-Commander Kiria will be awarded two level jumps for each year of service until she reaches upper level one fifty,” the AI informed us, making Callifee jump a little.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.