Flintkote - Cover

Flintkote

Copyright© 2020 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 78

Tyche said, “I don’t know where Murray was hiding ... but as soon as ‘banana split’ was spoken, he was by the door.”

And sure enough ... there sat Murray the Bengal ... and Silver, his ... whatever they call a cat’s wife. Very unusual cat, is Murray.

“Where’s the kids?” I asked.

“They went with JW,” Tyche said.

“How did they ... umh ... Junior,” I said. Figured that one out by my self.

“Middle of the night,” the tyke said, “If I had known we were going, I’d have had them leave me here.”

“Alan ... call your ex and see if she’ll let the boys go to Ludington for ice cream,” I said.

“You really want them to go?” Alan asked.

“I’ll buy,” I said.

“Surprise ... they’re boys ... you could be talking big money here,” Alan said.

“I didn’t say I’d feed ‘em ... If we’re going to eat before we go, we’ll go to the Antler.” I buy local when I can. I have civic pride. I order ... well ... Maria does ... but only after I explained about buying local and keeping the economy going. We order wood and tools from the hardware store.

“The Antler!” said Tyche, “I’ll spring for my own.” She looked at Murray, “Yes Murray ... you can go too.” Tyche can talk to Murray ... he has to translate for Silver. He did ... she perked up. The Antler it is ... by popular acclaim.

Alan called. He explained and hung up.

Alan said, “Gloria said she’d meet us at the Antler and she’d bring the boys ... yes, they can go.”

Gloria is a piece of work. Chicago summer-folk that stayed. Alan was a good looking beach lifeguard, a Freshman in college, tall, straight ... erect. She liked the erect part ... she liked it one time too many and he did the ‘right thing.’ Compared to the crabapple Pentwater girls ... Gloria was a peach and ripe...

The boys? Not so much. They were average. Right in the peak of the bell ... about an IQ of 100 ... easily falling in the 68th percentile that was considered to be “average.” Not quite half of the intelligence of our favorite four year old. She was just a couple points above Surprise ... but noticeable. When they’re that smart a point or two is like the difference between an 8.9 earthquake and a 9.0.

They were too old to consider playing with her ... and that suited her just fine.

Gloria did object to eating with Murray and Silver ... but not enough to get put outside. When Ernie served the cats first and called Murray by name she realized quickly that these were special guests. She didn’t visit the Antler often enough to be a regular. And Murray seemed to be there often enough to be allowed on a barstool. Tyche shared her fries with the cats and she paid her own way.

The drive to Ludington was as peaceable as one could expect with two boys and a girl. Tyche fixed that. Both boys were squished up against their respective doors while Tyke lounged in the middle.

The House of Flavors had their perfect product and Tyche shared hers with the cats.

The house ... in the 600 block ... was behind the treed front and the drive back was dirt. Sure enough, the Volvo was in the garage, on a charger and the keys in the ignition. Started first try. Elizabeth came out and was talking to Tyche when Surprise ... a not pregnant Surprise ... slid out from behind the wheel.

“Miss Flintkote ... what happened to your baby?”

“She left us,” Surprise said, in absolute truth.

“Oh ... that’s so sad,” said Liz, thinking Surprise was using a euphemism for miscarried.

“It was for the best,” Surprise meant she wasn’t stuck with raising a bratty teen. “I’m over it.”

“Tyche must be of considerable solace,” Elizabeth said.

When they were on the road home Tyche said, “Mom ... I thought you were going to choke on the solace comment.”

“Me too.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.