Flintkote - Cover

Flintkote

Copyright© 2020 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 66

“Where did the ‘We’ come from?” I said, “I’m building Farr 3.7’s ... you’re going to school.”

“Nope ... not old enough. Have to be five ... won’t be five until October.”

“I’m going to check on that.”

I called.

“Hi. I’ve had a 4 year old foisted on me by her mom. What proof do I need and how old does she have to be?”

‘When will she be 5?’

“October.”

‘I’d say you have plenty of time to gather up your paperwork. Just for conversation’s sake ... her name and present address.’

“Tyche Selene Flintkote, 165 Green.”

‘Place of birth?’

“Gold Coast, Australia.”

‘Well ... that’s different.’

“She is that.”

‘What?’

“Different.”

‘Different how?’

“She’s extremely smart. Is it possible to have her tested?”

‘What makes you think she’s smart?”

“When she had her cats licensed, she knew that 8 times 25 is two hundred. And did it in her head.”

‘I think testing might be a good idea, can you bring her in?’

“Sure. How about now?”

‘Absolutely ... it’ll get me out of the office. Bring money ... my services ... no matter what the Principal says ... aren’t cheap.’

“Like that, is he?”

‘Politics ... I hate office politics.”

“600 East Park?”

‘Yup, Who are you?’

“Surprise Me Flintkote. Do I need to bring anything? Handcuffs? Whips? Willow switch?”

‘No ... no no no ... just bags of money,’ she was laughing so hard if I hadn’t been under the same circumstances, I’d been laughing too.

“Thousand good enough?”

‘Just how smart do you think she is? So I can have the correct tests.’

“Since my sibs and I tested right out of school when we were 6 ... smart. And she can tell you why she’s so smart and quote the psychiatrist who propounds the theory.”

So ... I had to have Maria haul her husband out of work to drive because I STILL don’t have a car ... or know how to drive one if I did ... have one ... a car.

I can skipper a boat all the way up to and including 1000 tons, and a sailboat up to 299 feet ... but I can’t drive. I had to give that a think.

Edgar pulled that disreputable SUV in the drive. If it wasn’t so damn cold I’d have had us walk ... she’ll have to do it next year. Six blocks ... well ... nine ... one has to get to Park first.

“Tyche?”

“Mom?”

“Bring your passports and and paperwork. And don’t tell me you don’t have them. I know your mom.”

“Wasn’t mom ... was dad ... he said I’d need ‘em. He was right. I had to pay adult fare from Fiji. Getting aboard was a trip ... I had the correct tickets ... just didn’t have the required parent.”

“Fiji?”

“Yup. Fiji ... Suva-Nausori Airport. Getting there was a bus ride from Nadi ... Nadi has an airport but they wouldn’t take me ... needed an adult. Suva was stuck... ‘cause Mom and Dad left for Vanuatu on the Flintas soon as they put me on the bus ... and I was prepaid.

“Aéroport de Nouméa-Magenta, New Caledonia, couldn’t get rid of me fast enough. I speak French ... what? You do ... so do I. I didn’t tell anyone though. I have first hand information that I am a pain in the ass. New Caledonia sent me to Gold Coast ... Grandpa picked me up ... what?”

“Wait ... tell it to the testing lady. You’ll drive her crazy.”

So ... she broke into idiomatic Mexican ... and don’t try to tell me Spanish is Spanish ... that’s like saying Scottish English is American English. Ain’t happening.

She asked Edgar how he REALLY liked Pentwater. Whoa ... he doesn’t. He was there because I treated him like kin. All of my workers respected me. Geeze ... I’m just people ... fair is fair. I’m a ‘boat people’ newbie ... just like everybody on this hemisphere.

Edgar knew where we were going and dropped us off.

“Thank you, Edgar” I said. “I’ll call.”

“Sí, Patrón.” Edgar said, “You need a car.”

“Sí, Patrón,” I said.

He drove away laughing his head off.

We were met at the desk by a student. She seemed to know who were and spoke to a phone.

I don’t know what I was expecting ... but not what I got.

“I’m Jenny ... and you’re Mrs. Flintkote?”

“Miss ... and this is the terror of the century, Tyche Selene Flintkote ... my niece.

Tike grinned ... oh so innocently. She took Jenny’s hand.

They walked away and Jenny asked, “How did you come to be in Pentwater, Tyche?”

Warmed the cockles of my heart.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.