Flintkote - Cover

Flintkote

Copyright© 2020 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 60

Leon’s Frozen Custard ... on 27th ... is one of the culinary extravaganzas of Milwaukee. Real cream eggs and a touch of sugar.

Mmmmm.

27th is an interesting experience in and of itself.

Driving north from Leon’s ... cream and sugar odors ... one will pass over the Kinnickinnic River and the immediate ‘sniff’ is Hops ... drying hops ... depending on the brewery orders ... there can be Ahtanum, a bittering and aroma hop from the American Pacific Northwest. it works well in an array of beer styles. It is most commonly used in Pale Ales for that perfect blend of fresh taste and mild bitterness.

Amarillo is an American hop good for bittering and it has amazing aromatics, making it a versatile, dual purpose brewing ingredient. Commonly added to all types of IPAs from American to Belgian and Imperial IPA’s, Amarillo hops are also a great addition to American Pale Ales. Apollo, this American hop was bred for a high acid content and was originally cultivated in 2000. It is earthy and citrusy during the boil that add a wonderful touch of flavor to your bitter brew.

Belma is the right touch for Pale Malt Ales ... smells like pineapple, strawberry, mellon and flowers.

Bitter gold, an American bittering hop with no smell but makes a great English Bitter.

And then there’s Bravo ... west coast craft ales, IPA and APA ... and tasty ... very tasty.

Brewers Gold... 1919 Manitoba ... ooh yeah.

Before Prohibition American beer was very like today’s Craft beer. Thicker thirst quenching beer.

All those 170 hop smells can be found wafting up from the river ... Not all at once ... there’s enough variety to keep one coming back to Leon’s every week.

And then ... Chocolate.

Crossing the river is all that and more ... and the smell of polluted water in the middle.

General Andrew Thaddeus Bonaventure Kosciuszko has a statue near my favorite Italian restaurant ... they make their own sausage ... and it is great. And I am going if I have to take the city bus.

So ... JW brought the tour bus ... we four were waiting at my house. Maria, Sofia, Bianca ... and me ... a plethora of riches. JW was planing on just me.

“What?” JW said.

“School clothes.”

“Oh ... where did they come from?” He surreptitiously indicated the teens.

“I’ll have you know I’m the official state approved guardian of these orphans.” I was proud when I said it.

“What about her?” That gesture was directed at Maria.

“She’s my boss ... I’m building quality cabinets ... and Farr 3.7 race-boats.”

Flabbergasted him, I did. Yup ... got him again.

And Maria? She gave me the mom look.

“Where?”

“Gustafson’s basement,” and grinned.

“What?” he screeched. “I’ve been in that basement. It’s floor to ceiling and wall to wall junk.”

“Not any more,” I said.

We four looked like bobble headed dolls nodding at that.

The three loaded up in back. I sat upfront with my brother. We took 31 east of town.

“The old road would take too long,” JW said. “There’s a small front moving down from Canada.”

I grinned, “Ought to be a decent ride.”

JW and Billy sailed across to Manitowoc and had the boat on the hard by the time we got there.

It was the getting there that was the fun.

I was surprised to find the Badger was packed, adventuresome souls taking the last best carnival ride of the year. These were the people who hunted the best rollercoasters and tried all the ‘Sling’ rides.

For a Car Ferry, the Badger is small... 410 feet. For a carnival ride, she is huge. During the early and middle season, she’s fairly sedate. The Last Ride of October is almost always thrilling. The 600 passengers were counting on the weather ... nasty ... but not November.

Although ... the September 1910, sinking of the Pere Marquette 18 let passengers know that the risk is there.

“We’ll be two days ... three maximum,” said the First Mate, “You folks planing on the return trip should keep in touch with the office. We announce the sailing 4 hours before we leave. Milwaukee is an hour away. Don’t be late. We won’t wait.”

Shopping depleted my savings by nearly two hundred thousand dollars.

“I wasn’t planing on clothing the town,” I said, as the garment bags flowed onto the boat ... they had the sizes of every kid ... and bought accordingly.

Sturdy stuff ... hand me downs that should last years.

The return trip was calm and mild.

Disappointing.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.