Flintkote - Cover

Flintkote

Copyright© 2020 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 57

But, FIRST.

I needed to make the ancient of days Clark forklift run. With the forklift I could move the palletized machinery.

The Clark was 2.3 Ford 4 cylinder powered. The 2.3, also called the 2300, was probably the best single overhead cam 4 cylinder ever built ... rugged, reliable and capable of extensive performance modification.

The Clark engine was on the low end of the performance curve. Reliability was key.

This one was ‘middle of the pile’ as far as location in the ‘maybe next year’ junk. It probably hadn’t run since 1975. The battery was toast ... but I could turn it by hand. Not seized ... good. I continued looking for possible problems.

Rats and others of their ilk love to gnaw on rubber ... American rubber had a lot of salt and rats ... rabbits ... chew on it. Of course ... success in gnawing usually results in death. These hoses were ‘armored’, braided stainless covers. Thumper didn’t die a painful death.

The fuel tank was bone dry ... and not rusty ... dusty maybe. Could the last user have run it out of gas and just left it? The float bowl on the carburetor should tell the tale. Nope ... clean.

While I was looking I noticed a master brake cylinder ... and it was empty. Uhhh ... not good. The cap specified DOT 4 ... even worse.

Radiator? There was green antifreeze under the cap ... so far so good ... except the brakes.

The points were corroded together ... no possibility of sparky sparky.

I was afoot ... an embarrassment of boats but nothing for land based travel. So ... I called around and the nearest place was ... across the street.

“Miss Flintkote ... my computer tells me I have cap and rotor, points, condenser, plugs and wires and a battery for a 1976 Ford Capri. I don’t know WHY I have ‘em, the Capri being European, but I do. The battery is gonna cost ya an arm and a leg ... but ... if you get ‘em off my shelf ... you can Have the Capri parts.” Then came the killer... “How you fixed for metric tools?”

“Fine, thanks for asking.”

I walked. That was the most dangerous part of the project ... Tail end of summer ... early Fall? ... the diehards were moving back to the city. Crossing the street? Yup. Both ways.

Four times.

I lived.

Two hundred forty-nine dollars plus tax for that little battery?

But I was getting about 200 dollars of parts free ... including the only can of DOT 4 Brake Fluid in Michigan ... a half gallon. Who keeps a half gallon can of DOT 4 brake fluid? People who drive 544 Volvos ... that’s who.

I changed and set the points, cap, condenser, wires and spark plugs installed the new rotor and hooked up the battery.

Rrrrrr ... Rrrrrr ... spark ... know how I know? I was touching the high tension plug wire ... that’s why.

Made my elbow hurt. OWW! and assorted expletives.

And laughter ... in Spanish ... much laughter. Wasn’t me laughing.

Rrrrr ... Rrrrrr ... Umh ... Gas...

I forgot gas.

Do you know one can buy a QUART of unleaded no ethanol gas ... for $7.95 and tax? Yup ... Just another sign the world is going to hell in a hand basket. Seven fucking Dollars and Ninety - five FUCKING cents ... for a Quart!

Or ... one may buy an officially approved and stamped one gallon RED gas-can for TWELVE DOLLARS and find a gas station with 100% gas and buy a gallon for 2.00. The five gallon can is fifteen.

Three bucks for four more gallons.

I needed a squirt to prime the cylinders. One squirt each ... and a splash in the carb ... to make sure I had a going concern before I fixed the test of it.

I bought the quart.

‘nother trip across and back.

Rrrrrr ... putt putt putt putt!

Yea!!! I took the whole crew to the Antler for burgers and fries.

I just saved Thirty thousand dollars.

You bet I celebrated.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.