Flintkote - Cover

Flintkote

Copyright© 2020 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 54

Pentwater...

In the spring when the ice goes off the Lake and the big lake is clear as glass ... the dormant bugs are coming out.

In the summer ... if the Lake is up ... every 29 years the lake cycles from ‘where did it go’ to ‘Oh Shit.’ This year is the peak of ‘Oh Shit.’ ... and this year the Lake runneth over ... the three curses ... the bugs AND the tourists AND the Summer folk are in abundance. The beach is crowded, there is no room at the inn and the park is reservations only.

In the early fall, the days are hot ... the nights are cold and my renters go home. The bugs go wherever bugs go. I have a storage building where I keep the things I want to admire ... I do NOT leave them in the house. I can actually change the beds and bedding and sleep in my house.

The handyman knocks on my door and we have a look see at what damages I can bill the last renters. The real estate agent I used to buy the house is the agent I use to rent it out. He has taken a video of each move in and move out. He is way more picky than I.

I get a reasonable return on my investment and the town rakes the money in like leaves from the autumn trees. The agent and the handyman arrive together. It is understood that I make a profit ... and they split the rest.

This is the first year the Basilisk is going to winter storage ... and I? I am going to make a go at trying to stay the winter ... I am going to winter storage ... me and the cat.

We are going to cheat ... we have the watch. If it gets too bad we shall see what the world was like before Daddy was born.

But. Not. Right. Now.

The first time I lived in New Zealand I stuck it out. Cyn had the watch and we know what happened then. She gave the damn thing to me. On South I pushed my weight around ... just a little.

When I lived in Australia ... I worked for a living ... and nobody knew who I was.

I’m going to give being a townie a shot. Make a west coast Lake Michigan Winter and you’re a native. I need to find a job ... or start one.

What do I know?

Cabinets and little sailboats.

I need a shop.

This town is vacation condos and summer rent houses. Didn’t used to be. My real estate agent...

Or David!

... would know.

I looked out on the lake ... the dredge was tied up.

The Antler!

The Antler is where one finds the locals. Since I pissed off the neighbors ... trespassing ... don’t ya know ... I footed it out to Green and turned right on Dover ... cut across the Bandshell park to Hancock, past the Real Estate office with the sign in the door ... NEXT DOOR ... and walked into the Antler. They were both there ... David Austin and Jim McGaha. Mr McGaha is McGaha Reality. They were engaged in doin’s of great import ... euchre with Frank and Ernie senior.

“When you are through, I need...”

“What ever it is, Miss Flintkote, it’ll wait,” said David.

“There’s big money riding on this game,” said Jim. “ ... shut up and sit down.”

There was a stool open at the bar I took it ... Cat nudged me. We are at the Antler and that means burger.

Ernie must be in the kitchen because Frank came over, “Miss Flintkote?”

“Hi Frank, while I wait for their majesties to finish their game ... a root beer for me and Cat will have a half pound of the good stuff.”

“I remember ... the Austin twins had a big cat ... umh... Isabelle. She had kits ... wonder what ... Ah ... big cat.”

Cat had jumped, flatfooted to the bar. Cats levitate ... damnedest thing I ever saw. They don’t crouch and jump ... they’re just there.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.