Flintkote - Cover

Flintkote

Copyright© 2020 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 48

“Wow ... this is NOT easy,” Tyche said. They were on the deck of the Basilisk.

“Nope,” said Surprise. “That’s the reason I have a windsurfer sail and mast ... practice.”

The Farr was out of the water and sitting in the portside trampoline. The boat was just heavy enough for the trampoline netting to cradle the small boat and keep it reasonably level. It would sway like it would in fairly calm water ... just like real conditions.

“Have you watched the race video?” Surprise said.

“I watched the build video and still pictures. For a 12 foot boat it’s awful light.”

“There’s a build video?” Surprise asked.

“According to what I saw ... there are several ways to build the forms and girder.”

“Wanna build one?” Surprise asked.

“Airplane?”

“Oh, yeah. Thought you might be interested in boats now.”

“Both,” said Tyche. “You have plans for the Farr?”

“I have ‘the kit,’” she said.

“The kit?” Tyke asked.

“Laser cut in New Zealand,” Surprise said. “I bought a bunch ... I thought I’d never finish building the darn things. I have some left.”

Seven said, “She did a good job, too. We love ours.”

“Will you quit that!” Not a question. A demand more like.

“Hi,” said Tyche. “Where is your boat? Do you all have one? We could have a class. How many do you have?”

They discombobulated. “Hi Tyche Selene. Surprise built seven boats for us.”

The discussion started.

Of course, it was more like a political debate ... everybody shouting all at once. Many different greetings for Tyche and depositions as to where each of them had their boat. Discussions about weight rules, sail area and windsurfer sails. The Powers that Be were claiming that Tyche would have an advantage because she was so small. She was claiming that she would be at a disadvantage ... smaller body so less sail area. Were they going to open the race for all Farr’s? How many were in the area and was there an inspector and a judge. Would they hold the race here or in Pentwater? Would spinnakers be allowed? Would there be prizes or trophies.

Tyche started kicking shins. “STOP!”

And they did.

“Get your boats,” she said. “Tonight!”

So ... overnight eleven 3.7 Farr racing dinghies materialized along the City Marina shore.

You thought the Charter-boat captains were pissed before? The parking peninsula was Farr city.

Everybody started practicing ... and they needed it. Seven Powers that Be ... novices ... had no business learning on a positive hotrod.

The Yachting community was incensed. There seemed to be no regard for crew safety as well as absolutely zero comprehension ... or knowledge of the ‘rules of the road’.

There were no guard boats ... although ... with the ‘swim wear’ the girls were wearing there was a plethora of jet-ski pilots willing to aid in righting a ‘fallen victim’ of ‘adverse’ winds. The girls giggled a lot and even made turns they KNEW would put then in the water.

Surprise grinned at Tyche, “Get your own boat kid. This one is mine.”

Tyche went home ... it was quite the display of four year old displeasure. She stomped onboard, through the salon and down and in the McWilliams stateroom. Cyn was feeding.

“Aunt Cyn. Where is your Farr 3.7?”

Cyn asked, “What makes you think I have a racing dinghy?”

“If you don’t ... why to you know a 3.7 is a racing boat?”

“Ask your dad.”

“He’s using his,” Tyche said. “The reason I know you have one is because Two said Surprise built one for everybody ... including you. Where is it?”

“Two?” she gave a little shriek. The shriek upset Wench and took some cosseting to get her settled in ... and feeding again. “The Powers that Be are here?”

Cyn thought, and said, “I’m not sure ... ask the crew.” Yeah Cyn ... pass the buck.

“Damnit, Tyche. It’s buried in the starboard locker ... under all the spare sails.”

“Well?”

“Yes, ma’am.”

At the end of the day ... during the mandatory Coast Guard Safety Class ... Tyche asked Surprise... “Ahead or behind ... doesn’t matter. I want a Farr ... you have parts ... let’s build one.”

“What about Cynthiamae’s boat?”

“She’s sitting in the front row listening to the lecture.”

“Let’s build one ... like ... you and me? not just me?” Surprise said.

“As far as I’m concerned, I need you for the ride. I can do the work.”

They were gone seconds.

Tyche had a new boat.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.