Flintkote - Cover

Flintkote

Copyright© 2020 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 47

JW said, “If I didn’t know better, I’d have to say that was deliberate, Tyke.”

“Yes daddy ... come look and see if I hooked the main up right.”

Daddy was visiting Surprise. Because ... Cynthiamae McWilliams was home from the hospital with her triplets ... William ... Sultry Ann ... and Wench ... no middle name.

She didn’t!

Yes ... she did ... the boy after Husband and the girls in honor of Grandmother ... it’s traditional.

William was born first.

Sultry Ann was the first girl.

Wench was born last.

JW was visiting Surprise because Cyn and Billy were elbows deep in baby poop ... and he was keeping track of his daughter, Tyche.

“Any port in a storm,” JW said to Surprise.

So ... out to the mast and check the attachment between halyard and mainsail.

“How did you get the sail cover unzipped?”

Tyche used the mast step loops to get above the boom and cover. It was a real climb ... the steps were adult spaced. She walked the cover, grabbed the tethered zipper and tugged and sat down. The sail cover has ‘ears’ on both sides ... held up by the ‘lazyjacks’ (they keep the sail in the right direction when lowering or shortening.) The ears kept the four year old from falling out. ‘No fall down, go boom.’

“What gave you that idea?” JW asked.

“Family remembrances.” she said.

“Ah ... I see. We’ve done it ... you can do it,” JW nodded. He understood. And not like most people who say ‘I see’ when they don’t.

Surprise watched. She knew exactly what Tyche was doing ... too small to stand on deck and reach the boom ... Adapt, persevere, overcome ... straight out of the Officers Handbook. The book mother read to them when they were younger than Tyche.

“The mast and sail are stored in number 2 plus 3 locker. The rudder and board are in the starboard engine room. The lines are in the line locker,” Surprise said. “Come on, JW. Let’s go get ice cream.”

“Sail and mast in Number 5 locker, rudder and board in the starboard hull, and the lines in the locker. Bring me back a ‘nanna split.” She dove a hand in a jeans back pocket and came out with a five. “A five scoop ... I’ll split it with the cats.”

“Ya know, Tyke, you’re not supposed to know addition until first grade.”

“I know ... school is going to be a drag.”

“We’ll have to see about that.”

“Thank you. Auntie Surprise.”

JW knew Tyche wasn’t thanking his sister for the boat or the split. She was thanking Surprise for getting her homeschooled ... before it happened.

And JW knew it WOULD happen.

So did Tyche.

The line locker doesn’t have a ladder ... Tyche jumped.

The lines were labeled FARR ... and Tyche read the label. She didn’t leave a mess. She took down only the Farr lines and left the rest.

Had someone been watching, the lines tossed out of the locker looked natural ... the little girl hoisting herself out of the locker didn’t. She shut and dogged the hatch.

Off to the engine room.

The daggerboard was a foot taller than she ... but light enough she could carry it. The rudder was three pieces and she had to resort to Google for the rigging plans. The boom was slit for a footed fully battened sail but she was out paddling the rigged boat when they brought the ‘nanna split.

Seven cats were waiting on the sugar scoop and Murray was acting as bowsprit lookout for Tyche.

Murray loved the water ... fished every day and bathed in it. The kittens weren’t so sure but they tolerated Murray and swimming lessons. He was the fish provider.

“I found two sails, Surprise. What’s up with that?” Tyche asked as she bumped the sugar scoop.

“One is original. The other is a wind-surfer sail.” Surprise said. “There’s a wind-surfer mast somewhere.”

She carried her split and went to the cockpit.

Tyche tied off to a cleat and the cats followed the girl following the ‘nanna split.

The cats knew Tyche was too little to eat the whole thing.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.