Flintkote - Cover

Flintkote

Copyright© 2020 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 42

Max was not greeted with the same degree of enthusiasm, nor was he as welcome. Max had been a typical teenager. As one of the ‘town lights’ he and his cronies pretty much ran things to suit. But ... on his 18th birthday, he was summoned to a mysterious meeting at the courthouse.

“Today, you are an adult,” said the sheriff. “When you walk out the back door you can and WILL be charged with assault and intimidation if you so much as look crosswise at a minor. You have gone as far as we’re willing to let you go. If you impregnate a minor you will either be married or became a member of the few, the proud, the Marines ... or the infantry ... if the Marines won’t have you. I highly recommend you choose new friends.”

“The reason we’re giving you this last warning,” said the judge, “You have great potential and this is your chance to take advantage of it ... unlike your buddies from 2 years ago, ‘good ole’ Alex’ and ‘BillyBob’ both of whom ignored their final warning. Alexander has been sentenced to Leavenworth Stockade for disobeying a direct order said disobeyment resulted in the deaths of 3 members of his squad ... I doubt 20 years at hard labor will be sufficient punishment. William Robert was shot dead going AWOL before deployment. Please try and make something of yourself.”

University made something of himself. Max studied Criminal Justice. Max graduated, if not with honors, at least in the upper half of his class. The Animal Control officer assignment was starting at the bottom but he could see the possibility of advancement to patrolman.

“I’m going to visit Frank ... and use the Ladies ... one of the best things about Wendy’s ... grease.”

She wandered back and hollered.

“Incoming, Frank.”

“Hi, Miss Boleyn. What’s it been?”

“Four years of college ... four years.”

“What are you thinking Miss Boleyn,” Frank said, nodding at Max.

“I’ve been in love with Max since the 5th grade ... regardless of his reputation. When I bombed out of Medicine, I was pretty upset. I took this job because it was what I could get without two or three more years of school. One of the first assignments was a little girl feeding a stray cat. Max drove up in his paddy wagon and didn’t arrest the cat. The old Max would have shot the cat. He’s changed.”

Frank visibly shook.

“That same little girl is heir apparent to the massive Flintkote industrial complex ... she can and has flown her own airplane ... she’s four. She is past precocious ... When she told Max his wife liked her ... Max told her he wasn’t married ... the little girl said, ‘Yet.’”

“I think the world of that little girl. I intend to marry Max.”

“Wait ... go back.”

“Little girl flies?”

“Yeah ... there.”

“You know Junior ... the princess.”

“Actually ... I do. She used to own the north house. Sold it...” lights came on. “ ... to Miss Surprise Flintkote!” Frank reached the inevitable conclusion. “Junior has that little homebuilt biplane.”

“You got it.” “She’s up in Ludington with the Flintkotes.”

“Okay... ‘mother thing,” Frank said, “Bombed out of Medicine?”

“I pass out at the sight of human blood. 3 and a half years of pre med ... I finally get into a hospital situation ... first day ‘gofer’ in the emergency unit ... blood ... I’m on the floor. I didn’t know.”

“Ooo. That’s harsh,” he said.

“I didn’t want to keep studying so I took my degree and applied with the Child Protection Agency ... I’m an agent. The family has a home in Ludington.”

“Well ... you’re an adult ... you get to choose. Max, huh?”

“Yup ... he doesn’t know it yet.”

“We never do.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.