Flintkote - Cover

Flintkote

Copyright© 2020 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 40

“Do you object to a drive?” Max asked.

“What do you have in mind?” Miss Boleyn asked.

“Best burger on the Lake.”

“Wendy burger at the Antler,” said Elizabeth. “Don’t mind at all.”

“It’s a dive,” Max said.

“Max ... I’m from here. I know the Antler. Really good home-brewed rootbeer.” She grinned. “And Canadian cut fries.”

“Watered and salted vinegar,” he wasn’t drooling ... but it was close. “Now I’m going, by myself if I have to ... you coming?”

“Let me rinse this sunblock off and get in some clothes.”

“As long as you don’t hide your light under burlap.”

“Why, Max ... you noticed.”

“Your work clothes are the epitome of tacky.”

Elizabeth Anne Boleyn directed Max to a home on Lakeshore Drive.

It is a sad commentary of political intrigue and machination that led to the downfall of the original owners of the property encompassed by Lakeshore. Tinkham, Gaylord and Lowell. One must realize that slights and snubs by ‘persons of stature and wealth’ can have significant ramifications when it comes to ‘affairs of the heart.’

Enter Miss Oriel Tsakistes, of the family Tsakistes.

They were Greek olive growers and exporters of some note. A scion of the family removed from Athens, Greece to oversee the increasing sales of Tsakiste olives in the United States. Chicago was a ‘coming’ town and ‘people of import’ were locating there to supply the new market ‘hoi polli’ with European goods ... olives having become great favorites. The Anoli family were competitors ... among others.

Keeping up with the Joneses was important ... so ... when the Anoli’s purchased part of the Holland Michigan shore and built an impressive summer home, the Tsakistes immediately purchased the Ludington property and built a ‘cottage’ to rival Long Island summer homes.

Life does on ... as life does. The boys cavorted, the girls demurely flirted. Summer on the Lake Michigan shore.

In midsummer, a sailing vessel of some considerable size, approached the twin light houses on the Ludington mole. As she passed between the Lights Artemis. Athens, Greece could be read on the stern ... The yacht was impressive.

Miss Oriel was sprung on the unsuspecting populace in her seventeenth year. Her visage was more than pleasing and her nether limbs were spectacular. Miss Oriel descended from the deck of the family yacht. She lifted her skirts and a dainty slipper clad foot touched the Ludington dock ... pandemonium. Old girlfriends and fiancé were discarded. Younger brothers who knew the younger Tsakistes were bribed with REAL money to introduce eligible young men to the sister. Summer took on a whole are meaning. Yacht Club membership ... the den of fathers and therefore ‘old hat’ ... became imperative.

In 1871, Congress authorized the Coast Guard to explore the Great Lakes with the intent to establish Stations near the most hazardous points ... to secure the safety of commerce.

Simon Cameron, Secretary of War under Abe Lincoln served a year and retired. Ten years later a Cameron was appointed to head the Coast Guard delegation examining the Michigan west coast. Lieutenant Cameron USCG happened to be at the docks when Miss Oriel arrived. Cameron was not your typical Coast Guard officer. No ... Cameron was Mainline Philadelphia ... and that meant OLD money and political influence.

He presented himself to her father. He wished to ‘court’ Miss Tsakistes.

He was laughed out of the house.

Three months later the eastern half of the Tsakistes estate was taken under Eminent Domain. The town needed the land for a running track for the high school. The taxes were collected for the entire former estate. Half the land all the tax.

Three months two Tsakistes olive shipments were seized as contraband. The court battle lasted until the olives were rancid. A second shipment was captured. Turkish opium ... The ships were forfeit. Eventually, taxes increased to the extent that the Tsakistes were forced to sell ... one piece at a time ... until the second Doctor Boleyn purchased the Tsakistes house for back taxes. Over the years the home passed down the line until Elizabeth Anne Boleyn called it home. She had been absent four years ... college.

A shower, and a pampering. Elizabeth gussied ... not a gussy as a five star ... but very nice for Pentwater. Max was wowed.

“Why have I never seen you before?”

“How old are you, Max?” She knew but traps need sprung.

“Twenty six.”

“I was eighth grade when you graduated from high school.”

“That’ll explain it.”

“Let’s go ... I’m starved.”

They went the back way. The back way involved passing the Flint.

Miss Tyche was flying ... and waved. “Yet,” she said, “But soon.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.