Damaged Goods - Cover

Damaged Goods

by Ka Hmnd

Copyright© 2020 by Ka Hmnd

Science Fiction Story: A very short time as a soldier left me seriously wounded. The wounds healed but the mind doctors knew the post combat trauma would last a life time, I was retired. I picked Addison to go to since they had just gone through a plague. When I arrived it was to meet a young woman that owned a farm. The huge fields of vines and the small animals I found had a way that seemed to heal my mind.

Tags: Science Fiction  

I was sixteen when I joined the federation fleet marines. Of course the records said I was older and there was no one to say otherwise. The basic course was very hard and we lost a third of the company. I was not going to give up and by the time I finished the advanced course I was at the top of the class.

My company was a first strike company and we went in after a mixed rogue world regiment. From the time we rushed off the assault shuttle to when our regiment arrived it was a constant battle and a nightmare. We were hit hard but made a stand and killed the bastards. At first I followed the orders of my sergeant but after he was hit, I was alone and on my own.

Even with the heavily protected armored combat suit, rounds still managed to kill us. An hour after we landed the regiment reached us. I was the only one still alive and I was firing into the bastards. I had been wounded many times and could only use one leg and my right arm. I was bleeding internally and was partially blind in one eye.

The bodies in front of my position covered the ground and in some places they were piled up. I was still willing to stay a marine but after I woke in the med bay, I found out the mind doctors and a med review had already decided to medically retire me. They said my actions were those of a hero but it did not feel like it to me.

I wanted somewhere remote and quiet and beside the medal for heroism they gave me colony credit for any colony. I picked Addison World, with its plague outbreak half the people were dead and the other half struggling to recover so it needed new people. I was not the only one going there, there were others from the federation and even further.

I stayed on the liner when we reached the heliopause station while a lot of people took the skip shuttles in. At low station I walked off with my duffle bags and looked around. I had several hours before the shuttle down and decided to look around. I found the merchant walk and looked in each store.

I bought a long knife in one and a skinning knife in another. I bought a bag of cleaning and tanning bots and finally I bought a net wand and a Richards twelve millimeter pistol. I looked at eggs for companions and other animals but they were very expensive. I went to wait at the shuttle lounge for the next one down to the north colony after turning in my duffles.

A small petite young woman sat down and she was very pretty and smiled, “I have seen you before.”

I sighed because this had happened a few times, “a news vid.”

She blinked and then nodded, “yeah.”

She looked around at the people filling the lounge, “I am Katelynn Hawk. My mother married a man and moved and I am just returning home now.”

I looked at her carefully, “you are from Addison?”

She nodded, “from the north colony. Well ... next to the new colony barrier.”

I smiled, “how old were you when you left?”

She smiled and wiggled and rubbed against the seat, “eight.”

I looked at her seat and she blushed, “sorry but you are making me very horny.”

I grinned, “that is a first.”

She grinned and leaned closer, “I have a large farm and grow local fruit and earth type vegetables. Right now most is going to waste since our manager died. I claimed our land and told dad off before I left.”

She caressed my leg, “we have an hour if you want to use a sleep cubical.”

We made it back barely in time and sat together on the way down. I had been thinking of looking for work after I got down. Cat, as she wanting me to call her talked me into coming home with her. Once we were down and had collected our things I called for a public flyer. When we reached her home I could only stare.

There were a few dozen huge fire and spice trees reaching into the sky and her home was fifty meters up and very large. There were fields with long vines on rows of rails. There were also a few dozen long greenhouses, stasis silos, a large barn and large water storage tanks. There were stairs but Cat led me to a lift.

Her eyes were very bright as she looked around, “first thing we have to do is look for squirrel rats. The manager brought in a dozen tame mini leopards and mini tigers but I do not know if they stayed.”

I nodded to a secondary branch, “there are two.”

She looked and grinned, “those are mini leopards.”

The lift stopped at a larger covered porch and we got off and walked towards a door. I saw the flap to let the cats in and thought of snakes or serpents but remembered they did not have any here. I set my bags down and she parked her float. The common room was huge with large windows and plenty of cushioned chairs or couches.

Along some of the windows were large ledges or what they called nests, some big enough for a dragon. I grinned as I looked around and then followed Cat towards the kitchen. We checked the stasis cooler and the stasis pantry. Both were full and the kitchen was clean. I heard a soft chirp and turned to see one of the small cats.

I grinned as I got out a blood fruit and knife and sliced it up. I put it on a plate and then set it on the floor, “call your friends.”

Cat giggled as the small tiger moved closer while watching us. It smelled and then took a slice and began to purr as it ate. We began to search the house and I was right, it was huge. Of course above, in and on other branches and trees were three more large homes we would have to look at later.

I followed Cat and put my bags in a large bedroom with nests above the bed and at the windows. That was where we found a stasis box with two very young dwarf dragons and a note. It said they were a week old and needed a good home. It was signed by the last manager and Cat looked at me and bit her lip.

I grinned, “pick one and we will go find fire and spice leaves. There was more than enough meat in the chiller.”

She grinned and looked in the box before picking one and I shut the stasis off. The two young animals looked out and I reached for the other one. It struggled but was to young to fight very much. I folded the wings and headed for the door with Cat cradling the other one in her arms. It was not hard to find the leaves, we just walked around the lower covered porch.

When we went to the kitchen it was to see a half dozen of the small cats. I sighed as I pulled out meat and cut it up and then more blood fruit. The last I set on a plate on the floor before we carried the dwarf dragons out the back door. I had read about this and set fire and spice leaves burning.

We moved so the two young dwarf dragons breathed in the smoke. It did not smell bad to me but the little animals went limp and I quickly put the fire out. I checked the one I was holding and pet and caressed it until it started to revive. It whined and I hesitated before I gave it a piece of meat.

It growled and started eating and I set it down, “vicious monster.”

I did not mean it as I got another piece of meat. Cat was feeding hers and petting it so I kept caressing mine. They stopped eating before we ran out of meat. I grabbed the plate and carried my little friend back inside. I set the plate down for the cats and then looked at the dwarf dragon, “I think I will call you James.”

It stretched and looked around and I looked at Cat, “so.”

She grinned as she stood from setting her Molly down, “so we need to find the farm office and get a couple of small bore rifles. After that we go look around the farm.”

I nodded and we began to explore with the two young dwarf dragons following and getting into everything. We finally left the house and took the lift down. I looked around and felt the pistol I was carrying and then headed for the barn. The little dragons spread out smelling everything and pouncing on anything that moved.

The office was in the barn and so were the drone charging stations for the harvest drones. Stacked in the aisle were large stasis containers. I checked a couple and they were full. There was a rifle rack in the office with a half dozen rifles. Below were shelves that held boxes of ammo. Only three were small bore and I checked two and gave one to Cat.

I made sure she knew how to use it and we loaded them and left. First we checked the barn and then moved to the first greenhouse. I opened the door and stepped into a jungle like atmosphere with plants seeming to grow wild. There were three center aisles and we started down the first.

I glanced at the dragons as they crowded close to our legs, “someone does not like it in here.”

Halfway down I heard a noise and brought the rifle to my shoulder. The rush out of planters was small animals I recognized as squirrel rats, “back!”

There were dozens which could overwhelm us. I fired into them as I began to back up. I bent to catch the dwarf dragon as it started forward, “no.”

I fired and kept moving but the rats were moving faster and by the sound there were more coming. I swept up James and spun, “out!”

Cat had wide eyes and was clutching her Molly. She nodded, turned and ran for the door. It swung open and I kept pushing her and let James go to slam it behind us. I backed away, “okay time for another plan.”

Cat waited for me and hissed, “what are we going to do?”

I grinned as I headed for the barn, “first the greenhouse was overgrown and useless. We are going to use the panels to amplify the sun and roast everything. Once we reset the panels we hunt the outside of the greenhouse for the hole they are using to get in. Three days with no water and intense heat and we bring in fire.”

She hurried after me and set her Molly down, “but if there are squirrel rats, the farm will be useless.”

I shook my head, “we need two things right now. A large bag and the water shut off.”

It was not hard to find the bag and the water shut off was behind the greenhouse. I had to make a net system like a fish trap for the bag. We walked around the greenhouse and I found one vent open. I used a moly bonder and affixed the bag to the vent. Next I shut off the power to the vent fans. If or when the squirrel rats came out, they would be caught in the bag.

Next I did some checking and found small remotes used to check the fields. I was able to open a door and send one into each of the other greenhouses. By late afternoon we knew only three had squirrel rats in them. They were all overgrown and the stasis silos were full, intact and sealed. That had Cat making calls to sell what she could, including what was in the crates.

We walked the fields and let Molly and James play their own game of hide and seek. We killed lots of squirrel rats in the fields before coming back to the house. First we cleaned the rifles and then made a detailed check of the house. All the cats were either in the house or outside in the trees.

 
There is more of this story...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.