Building a Nest of Our Own - Cover

Building a Nest of Our Own

Copyright© 2020 by Vincent Berg

05: Evidence of Life

II: First Potential World

I would rather be ashes than dust!
I would rather that my spark should burn out
in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot.
I would rather be a superb meteor,
every atom of me in magnificent glow,
than a sleepy and permanent planet.

The function of man is to live, not to exist.
I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them.
I shall use my time.

Jack London

Image of baren planet with local sun shining behind it.

05: Evidence of Life

You don’t have to see the whole staircase,
just take the first step.

Martin Luther King, Jr.*

Al, the historical records you transferred are amazing, ‘ Admiral Lillslik declared. ‘It reveals the extent of the Emperor’s manipulations over multiple centuries. People are even more upset than they were. The legislature is already taking action. They’re passing strict laws requiring the military to request authorization for extraordinary actions and restricting their ability to make autonomous unilateral decisions.

That could be a problem, ‘ Al cautioned. ‘Officers in the field encounter all kinds of situations and need to implement immediate actions.

Don’t worry, ‘ he countered. ‘They’ve addressed that concern. Among the restrictions is a requirement for any unexpected, unapproved action to be reported to the Planetary Congress for review. They can do whatever is needed, but then they’ll have to justify it to an independent body with the authority to countermand their orders and file charges. More importantly, the old-guard senior officers are being forced to retire, while those following your lead are stepping up and filling their positions. The legislature is highlighting your actions as a guide for future military involvements. Cautioning it’s better listening to legitimate complaints and trying diplomatic options first, rather than diving in with guns blazing and lying about it afterwards. It’ll take a while to get everyone on board and work out the kinks, yet this wouldn’t be possible without your information. Even after leaving, you’re continuing to influence us.

I must say, though, your decision to head off on your own was your best move, ‘ Lillslik stated. ‘If you remained, you’d have undoubtedly been appointed our new Emperor, whether you wanted it or not. Now there are extensive debates about how to proceed, which of your recommendations fit our culture, and what tweaks most match our circumstances. We’ve gone from everyone being terrified of original creative thoughts, to their openly debating previously unacceptable topics and requesting public comments—including from the deposed military officers. While we may disagree with their views, we won’t reject honest advice out of hand.

That’s the nature of a representational democracy where a single delegation speaks for everyone on their home world. It allows you to make quick decisions that represent a vast diversity of opinions. Potentially no one’s voice will be silenced the way they were—even before they reprogrammed your aids to prevent protests. I must say, I’m proud of you, but I’m prouder to be saying goodbye. As you noted, you’re better off deciding these issues yourselves.

So you’re finally getting on with your own lives?‘ Rollsqmarsh asked, as he hadn’t wanted to weigh in on the Tandorians’ decisions.

Yeah, everyone’s giving me grief about my focusing on the past. But you’ve got to admit, this was too important to keep to myself. It not only highlights how dangerous the Zitorians are, but emphasizes how Tandorians need to honest with themselves. The Emperors historically retained power only by declaring martial law to combat some new ‘too horrible to imagine’ foe. In both instances, rather than being bloodthirsty savages, they were entirely reasonable and peaceful, and ended up helping us. Responding to every situation militarily is a perilous strategy, and isn’t faithful to the Tandorians’ original welcoming approach to other worlds.

You’ll keep us apprised of your progress, won’t you?‘ Yitzl asked. ‘As much as we want to grant you your independence, there are millions hoping you’ll find your home after all this time. What’s more, we wouldn’t mind sending out a delegation when you do to set up diplomatic negotiations between our cultures.

Don’t worry, I’ll tell you what ultimately happens. But as you’ve noticed, you’re much older than us due to time dilation. Soon, you won’t be around. While others may remember us fondly, we’ll eventually become a mere historical footnote, as we should. It’s Tandorians who should define their history, not outsiders who accidentally had an outsized voice.

I’m curious, though, ‘ Rollsqmarsh said. ‘Though the Zssizliq are unlikely to venture there, are the Zitorians interested in subsequent communications, purely for informational purposes? After all, it would help them declare the extent of their domain, so we won’t have these accidental incursions in the future.

Given the right approach, I’d say they’re open to it, though it’ll continue to be dangerous. The simple firing of an engine or sending in automated drones can end in disaster. Yet they’re highly intelligent, curious and social creatures. Beyond that, they have a lot to teach us about dark energy which your people haven’t fully comprehended. If you can do it without harming them, you could learn to develop stable, variable artificial gravities. So far, your record on that front is hardly ideal.

Trust us, we’ll convey your wishes to our people, ‘ Yitzl assured him. ‘Hopefully no one will abuse our responsibility, but I have faith we’re better prepared for the future than when you first arrived. I hate that we chased you away, but I respect your accomplishments too much to insist you abandon your goals.

With that, I’ll say au revoir once more, as we’re debating what we’ll do once we leave Zitorian space, ‘ Al said. ‘Like you, we enjoyed interacting, but are looking for a world of our own, not playing an outsized role in other societies.

Believe me, after everything you’ve done, your fame is deserved, ‘ Rollsqmarsh assured him. ‘But so is your future. Live on your own terms. Godspeed, my friend, create your own unique corner of the universe. If your children’s children ever want to establish trade with our people, we’ll always honor the contributions you’ve made in our empires.

__________
Zita entered the common room, with the usual group sitting around the central table. “Excuse me; I got an unusual message from our Zitorian friends.”

Everyone turned, but Eli was the first to speak. “Pray tell, what is it, and might it portend?”

“It was a single image, of us alone in empty space.”

“That is odd,” Gary agreed, “though I’m curious how they portray ‘us’ when they have no visual organs.”

“Without delving into the endless debate, I’m guessing it’s their way of saying goodbye,” she ventured.

Xi cocked her head. “Goodbye?”

“I checked the sensors. You’re right,” the One reported. “Our two accompanying hosts have stopped and we’re pulling away from them. As you see from the display, I presume they’re telling us adieu.”

“Does that mean what I assume?” Siss asked.

“I’m confident it means exactly that,” Al acknowledged. “We’re reached the end of their domain, and the space beyond is clear sailing. One, show us a visual of what’s ahead.”

Rather than the earlier displays of hard to discern black shapes highlighted in green, they now saw a fresh vista of undiminished stars. It was a view they hadn’t seen for a while, a vast array of potential worlds.

“Are they steady? Are we confident of our location?” Al asked.

“They are,” One assured him. “There are no gravitation effects other than distant bodies, and there’s nothing obscuring our potential destinations.”

“We were performing an external sensor check,” Mui said. “The stellar panorama is nearly as complete as it was back on Tandor. Instead of the few visible stars we observed leaving Noxim, there are now thousands, and presumably millions we can’t detect unaided.”

“Your observations are correct. I haven’t catalogued them yet, waiting for any remaining distortions to steady. It looks like we’re ready to resume our journey.” The One paused, “Captain, where do we head?”

Al chuckled. “That’s simple. The nearest potentially-habitable world.”

The One snickered too, an uncommon event itself. “I suspected as much. I’ve completed a preliminary scan. There’s one a mere nine light-years from us. The sun is small, but there are several planets displaying evidence of carbon and hydrogen. I won’t be able to determine if there’s an atmosphere until we’re closer.”

“Don’t keep us in suspense,” Delilah said. “Let’s check it out!”

“Siss,” Al declared, idly waving his hand. “The helm is yours. Plot our course based on the display, ascertain the risks and set our speed and approach.”

“Aye-aye, Capitan,” she said, giving a mock salute. She read out designations. Before acting, the One displayed their last two hosts, Prim and Beatrice, before engaging the FTL engines.

“I’d love to see how they respond to our extending space before us,” Eli said.

“Chances are, as intelligent as they seem, they’ll observe and record it,” Zita said. “Then pass it on to their people. I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t eventually figure out how to duplicate it, though I can’t imagine how. I’ve conveyed our farewells and thanked them for their assistance.”

Siss issued corrections, avoiding unseen dangers ahead, sounding like a small girl playing her fantasy role. The view behind receded, displaying only blurry stars behind them.

“We’ve left yet another culture behind,” Myi observed. “Are we now prepared to abandon our Tandorian connections?”

“I’ve said my adieus,” Al informed them. “The next time they hear from us, it’ll be to declare our finding our new home.”

“But not before shopping around a little and comparing neighborhoods first,” Betty suggested. “After all, we want our kids to have plenty of room to play.”

__________
Everyone aboard was on the bridge awaiting news. The two Intuits were standing in the front, studying the display as the star slowly grew in prominence.

“Do you want to handle this, Intuit?” Al asked, without taking his eyes off the image.

“I’m too nervous, I’ll let you make the final approach.” She hesitated. “Sir.”

“Hey, none of that formal shit among family. One, I don’t detect any problems, bring us in.”

As they watched, they entered a small solar system, greatly reducing their speed although still effectively traveling faster than light. They could observe the sun and four worlds highlighted before them.

“Planets gamma and delta are two cold to support life,” the One informed them. “Planet alpha is likewise too hot, and any atmosphere it may have had burned off long ago.”

“Is there any habitable world, or are you merely teasing us unnecessarily?” Myi asked.

“The second one is the correct temperature and does support an atmosphere, but not one you can breathe. The oxygen content is negligible.” The One paused. “Hold on, I’ve identified an anomaly. There’s something reflecting light in the thermosphere.” He was silent for another few seconds. “I’ve identified a starship in stationary orbit around the planet. I’m attempting to establish communications.

“I’ve received an automated reply. Apparently it was shut down, only retaining minimal operational levels to maintain its position. It doesn’t appear there’s anyone on board. It’s definitely Tandorian, though it’s civilian, not military. I’ve no record of the ship in my data files.”

“What do you think?” Gary asked. “A crippled vessel permanently parked? A dead crew who put it in perpetual orbit, or personnel on the surface no longer concerned with their craft?”

“You’re sure the atmosphere isn’t breathable?” Myi asked. “Say for a species with different requirements?”

“Yes. The oxygen levels are nominal and the methane is lethal to most space-faring Tandorian species.”

“Can you detect any enclosed compounds on the surface?” Al asked.

“No, but I can only scan the areas visible from our current position. A large, supposedly metallic enclosure should be detectable, even from this distance. Though an underground facility, or a smaller natively-constructed structure wouldn’t.”

“So how do we handle this?” Gary pressed. “Alert anyone on the planet, contact them and discuss the situation, or investigate the ship before establishing communications?”

“One, we need to determine whether there are any sensors in orbit or on the ground which might detect us.” Al approached the display of the surface, which the One magnified. He couldn’t observe anything of note aside from a few stray shadows of craters and mountains.

“They weren’t alerted. There were no responses to my inquiry, as I haven’t detected any subsequent broadcasts. Since the ship’s AI is shut down, that would also silence any remaining quantum links. I’m confident they’re unaware of us ... assuming they’re still alive after this much time.”

“Any clue how much time?” Siss asked.

“The date the wreck we explored was destroyed five hundred and twenty-seven years ago. Given the reception the military received, I doubt any civilian vessel would have gotten through afterwards.”

“If they had sensor equipment on the surface, without continued maintenance and replacements, I’m certain it wouldn’t still be operational.” Ivan glanced up at the display. “What’s the planet’s environment like?”

“I’d say frequent storms, mostly dust, likely containing heavy metals. It’s a hostile habitat, regardless how rarely anyone ventures out. An underground facility allows greater flexibility, but I doubt a civilian ship has the resources to excavate an extensive amount of rock.”

“Dust storms? Is there enough dirt to construct indoor gardens, or support native plants on the surface if monitored by survivors?” Etta asked.

“It wouldn’t support anything more than very rudimentary life, as the environment can’t foster carbon-based life. However, it’s possible someone could survive on indigenous algae and other primitive growths. No complex carbohydrates, vegetables or animal life, though.”

“Not for long,” Lamar noted, “nor would any advanced sensors function without maintenance. They’d need to mine huge swaths of open ground, or extract enough to recover sufficient metal ore, which requires the resources to refine. I’m guessing everyone is long dead.”

“All right, approach the vessel,” Al ordered, “but don’t bother trying to contact anyone. We’ll try to determine what happened to the crew. After that, we’ll search for what became of anything they constructed or left behind, assuming they didn’t die aboard ship. Continue scanning the surface for signs of life or surviving structures. That’ll answer a lot of questions.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.