Building a Nest of Our Own - Cover

Building a Nest of Our Own

Copyright© 2020 by Vincent Berg

20: Origins, Endings and Spirit Gods

Joan of Arc: I hear voices telling me what to do.
They come from God.
Robert: They come from your imagination.
Joan: Of course. That is how the messages of God come to us.

George Benard Shaw

“Lamar ground control; this is Captain Al of the Peaceful Avenger, checking in after our long absence.”

“It’s wonderful hearing your voice again,” a Lezmonom he’d never gotten to know well said. “We anticipated you sooner after Triznor returned a few months ago, but guessed you were up to something again.”

Al chuckled, familiar with his well-deserved reputation. “Not this time, Trill. We visited the Irrq and Plssam homeworlds, letting their new Intuits guide their ships back. They weren’t sure we’d succeed and were relieved when we returned with news of the Tissk’s utter defeat. Both worlds held protracted celebrations, championing their crews’ role in it. Thus we couldn’t leave early as they loaded us with valuable ore they’d planned to offer the Tissk if we hadn’t succeeded. I wasn’t about to deny my crew access to the festivities.”

“We’re glad you’re back. We hope you’ll be impressed with the changes since you left. We’re proud of what we’ve achieved, especially with both ships absent for so long.”

“I’m looking forward to it. But I’ve got an announcement, so I’m opening this so everyone can hear. With the major conflict in the region resolved, I, Albert Collins, am retiring as the Captain of the Peaceful Avenger.”

Silence followed, so he glanced at those around him before responding. “Did you copy that?”

“We did,” Trill answered, “but we’re ... shocked! We figured you’d enjoy being home, but expected you’d visit the other worlds, encouraging them to join our new alliance. After all, we haven’t contacted every group yet, and your reputation carries a lot of weight. While many won’t know of you, as word spreads, your presenting our case makes it more convincing. Switching representatives undermines our efforts.”

“While that’s true, I’ve never enjoyed being a leader, and never asking for the role. I couldn’t refuse when everyone’s lives were in the balance. But now that we’re stable, I’m ready to step aside.

“Given how prepared everyone is, there are many capable of convincing others to join us. It’s time for me to settle down, raise my kids and tell extravagant stories no one quite believes over some ale at the local tavern.”

“We haven’t gotten around to building breweries yet, but we’re sorry to see you go. Rather than ale, I’ll toast you with some of the remaining hallucinogenic Tandorian liquors, if you can spare it. The fact you never wanted to lead was likely the reason you were so successful. You were an inspiration, and it’s been an honor serving with you, sir.”

“Do you have any recommendations for your replacement?” Triznor asked. “After all, you know the crews’ capabilities, as well as their familiarity with your ship.”

“It’s not mine. It belongs to our people. I only held it long enough to get us here. But I’d rather not influence the decision. There are plenty of excellent choices. I’d prefer not picking one over the others. What we need are natural leaders who’ll rise on their own, which I wasn’t. Those who deserve it don’t need my pointing out their accomplishments, as their actions speak for themselves. Those who best handle the weight of leadership are drawn to it.”

“Well, if you have no suggestions, I do,” Triznor said. “I’d like to nominate Siss, and I doubt you’ll disapprove. As you say, her achievements are widely acknowledged. She’s respected, knows both crews and is intimately familiar with the ship. After all, she learned from the best, the one who’s shredded most of the standards.”

“He’s certainly proven himself superior to any Tandorian Intuits,” Be said from beside him. “He’s done a tremendous job as captain. Not only has he regularly set all-time records, he’s minimized the problematic time distortions produced by faster-than-light travel.”

“Not to mention saving our lives multiple times,” Gary quipped. “As his security, I always felt he was protecting us more than our safeguarding him.”

“Thank you, Triznor, it’s an honor,” Siss said. “However, if Al’s not making the decision, are we putting this up for a vote or something? Opportunities like this don’t occur often. I’m sure there are plenty of others who’d like a shot. After all, I’m not the only one who’s accomplished amazing things.”

“Maybe not, but you’re the best captain, given your unique Intuit capabilities,” Triznor encouraged. “While we Lezmonom are familiar with Tandorian ships, none are comfortable with the Zssizliq-designed Peaceful Avenger with its extensive modifications. With Al dropping this bombshell, I have to admit I’m getting older too. While I’m not yet ready to turn in my command, my continuing will provide continuity while we deal with your transition. I can imagine turning the Lozzlint over to another Lezmonom before long, which reduces your competition even more.”

“How does your crew feel about your retiring?” Lezlly asked, who like the One now felt herself one of them.

“Believe me,” Gary answered. “It’s a surprise to us too.”

“That was the reason for the announcement. Few knew what I was planning. Betty, Xi, Myi and I have discussed it. They’re eager to have me settle down, though they’d also like me to keep active—mostly because they’re terrified of my being underfoot. We wanted to announce it to everyone, rather than piecemeal, a few at a time.”

“Will you continue to serve on diplomatic missions?” Trevor asked.

“Visiting other worlds with your wives will send a positive message, as they’re different races and species. It sends a visceral message about our acceptance of others.”

“Such diplomacy wouldn’t have changed the outcome with the Tissk,” Al countered.

“No, nothing would have altered that,” Gary conceded. “However, we’re encouraging the other cultures to try new approaches, just as we encouraged the Tandorians by each taking a new bond-mate.”

“I’m happy to meet with whoever wishes to, but I’ll leave journeying to distant planets for the younger kids. I’ve had my fill of exploring alien worlds. We’ve finally found a world where we’re accepted. I’d like to stick close to our new home, which we abandoned during its most critical settlement stage.

“I’ve always been better at influencing than commanding. Remaining here, I can influence the next generations, advising others on how to succeed. I’ll leave searching for new planets to those still seeking their home.” He hugged Be and Xi tight. “I’ve discovered mine.

“I’m willing to meet with anyone visiting Lamar and let the younger Lezmonom handle the dinosaur wrangling.

“Being honest, I’m not rejecting the role. Instead I see it as more disruptive than positive. Having surrendered my post as captain of the Peaceful Avenger, I’d disrupt whoever took over.

“I’m sure my replacement would have no trouble with my presence, but the crew is another matter. While they’d clearly follow orders, they’d always defer to me, taking their minds off their missions. Thus I’m not refusing new roles, but I think it’s better if I remain here. I won’t be a disruption yet can still influence, while consulting and assisting anyone, anywhere in the sector.”

“I hate to admit it,” Gary acknowledged. “You make a convincing case, as I can easily see it playing out. As you say, everyone can consult with you instantly, wherever you are. You’ll never be far when we need your insights.”

“I suspect you’re not the only one deciding it’s time to pass the torch,” Lizzlin said. “We’ve all felt Lozzlint’s absence, as she hasn’t touched our hearts since you announced your victory with the Tissk.”

“Shlinx, the junior priestess assigned to our ship, mentioned it, but I didn’t think it was serious.”

“I’m not sure it is, instead I suspect that like you, she’s tired. She’s been guiding us for a long time. I believe there are others of her kind who’ll step up in her absence, though we’ll see whether they do. It’s been a topic of debate around our new temple,” she admitted. “With a permanent home and your resolving the outstanding conflicts, earning the local worlds’ trust, she doesn’t need to push us so relentlessly. We’ll always remember her role in our lives, but ... we’re prepared to face whatever new hurdles we’ll encounter on our own.”

__________
“Damn! This place looks amazing!” Al marveled as they exited their shuttle. “I hardly recognize it. I expected a new mining project and possibly an orbiting skeletal space station, but a fully functioning city, complete with a cathedral?”

Though little more than a small town, Taramor was neatly divided into sections easily expandable as their population grew. The name was a Lezmonom term for ‘a home for everyone’. In the center stood a low metal structure, deeply anchored, with bustling activity around it reflecting its central role. Circling it in radiating avenues were a variety of mostly wooden structures. Each had glass windows and doors equipped with modern Tandorian locks—which didn’t appear to be used. At the other end was the stone monument, towering above the two and three story buildings surrounding it. The reinforced command center was intended to blend in and withstand an aerial attack. While the temple was carved from heavy blocks, leaving the newcomers wondering how they’d lifted and assembled the finely cut stone. It was easy to spot from anywhere in Taramor, forming a natural reference for the whole city.

“Well,” Be pointed out as she, Xi and Myi surrounded him, “it’s been five years since we left. All those extra stops accumulate with time dilation, even when minimized as much as you did. Any other ship would have taken dozens of years. Even Tandorian or Zssizliq would take significantly longer.”

“And it’s not a cathedra...” Lizzlin said, struggling with the unfamiliar term.

“Cathedral,” Xi clarified. “They’re massive glass, metal and masonry edifices meant to announce to everyone that the church is mightier than the local king. They served a societal role, but were always a reminder to everybody not to cross their edicts.”

Lozzlint’s Temple consisted of an imposing stone shrine, carved from blocks of solid black rock. It was connected to a timber sanctuary with plain windows set high to provide ample light.

“Whatever you call it, it’s not a church.” Lizzlin pet Lizzli, once more perched on her shoulder, with its tail wrapping around her arm rather than her neck. “Lozzlint isn’t ... or wasn’treally our god, so our praying to her isn’t a religion with established tenets. And your description of your Earthly denominations is nothing like our beliefs. For us, she is a benevolent spirit. A being who crosses over to our universe from another domain to guide us. We don’t pray as much as speak to her, requesting guidance on matters important to us. That’s why there are often extensive delays in her responses. Since she isn’t limited by the same temporal constraints, she doesn’t seem to be aware of the differences. Chances are she thought you would show up shortly after we landed on Lezhomuz. In fact, I’m not sure it’s even her who responds when she sends us messages. I suspect she has her own otherworldly automation, sort of like a forwarding service. She might be a single entity, a family or an entire race. Nor do we understand why she’s so fascinated with us. We have a lot of questions about her, but we know better than to annoy the being who keeps saving us. If she’s a little slow at times, so be it.

“Now that you’ve led us here, we’ll choose how we’ll construct our society. Hopefully with your assistance, rather than modeling our behavior on her dictates. She’ll continue to influence us, but it’s more like ancestor worship. You follow the wisdom of your ancestors, instead of obediently obeying what they once demanded.”

“Are you sure she’s not just ... indisposed?” Be asked. “After all, if she’s not always timely, it stands to reason she just hasn’t responded yet.”

“No, this is different. Before, even if she didn’t respond, we still felt her presence. It’s like Al’s Intuition, whenever we do something, our hearts either sing, or a sense of dread gnaws at our conscience. It’s as if she was watching over us and tweaking our organs to keep us on the right track. Now, her essence is gone. It’s hard to explain, but we have a very personal relationship with her. We can tell when she’s there for us, even if she doesn’t respond right away.”

“Well, I’m sorry she disappeared,” Al said. “It must make all this work seem a little ... moot.”

“Don’t worry,” Lizzlin assured them. “After you arrived, but before landing, we felt a new spirit touching our hearts. It’s difficult to convey, but it has a distinct feel, unlike Lozzlint’s, though both apparently operate similarly.”

Al cocked his head, considering it. “So what do you call your new ... goddess?”

“As of now, until we learn how they differ, they’re all Lozzlint. It’s not a proper noun. It’s more of a collective pronoun, encompassing many interwoven spirits. Each of us has our own personal spirit guide, which echo what Lozzlint herself tells us. These guides are more temporal than her, more aware of what we’re going through. Between them, we trust they communicate our worries to her, so we’re covered.”

“Are you sure their motivations are the same?” Xi asked. “That they’re not working at cross purposes.”

“It’s not like that. Our spirits choose us because we have similar personalities. Lozzlint—whichever one we’re referring to—is more concerned with us all. Our personal guides help us achieve our individual desires. Helping us become better engineers, artists, parents or simply better people.”

“It sounds like quite a complicated structure, complete with automation and extradimensional message services. Everyone we’ve met has a single god, which rules over their lives, but doesn’t seem any mightier than any other world’s ‘all-powerful’ deity. But when they pray, their only confirmation is whether their wishes come true or not.”

Solomon sang a cooing/croaking song during Lizzlin’s explanation, which contrasted with her words. However, it calmed Lizzli. Her tail unraveled from Lizzlin arm, and its barred tip snapping back and forth as she wagged it.

“How did you ever get those blocks?” Gary asked. “I know we don’t have any wet saws for carving rock. At least we didn’t when we left.”

“It’s done with alternating laser pulses, allowing the stone to rapidly heat as the surrounding surface cools. The intense warmth triggers increased molecular activity and the surface undulates, shaking loose the connecting cooler molecules. The temperature difference causes them to crack along the laser-cut lines, so it slices perfect corners with little waste. The work inside was more difficult, as we hand-chiseled engraved messages and an image of Lozzlint. But we used the same techniques on Lezhomuz, so who have specialists who are experienced with the process.”

“Wow! That’s ... complex, both the concept and the execution, ignoring the carving a stone monument so massive out of an untouched mountain wall. Why did you never explain these details about your beliefs before?” Delilah asked.

“We’ve never had an organized religion, so we weren’t familiar with the concepts. But, after we started the temple and began discussing our principles, it became apparent how our worldviews differ.” She leaned over, whispering conspiratorially. “We discussed it extensively when Mui was planning their group wedding.”

“By the way, where are they?” Al surveyed the compound for any signs of the happy ... few? “We were hoping to meet their new family.”

“As with any parents with new babies, they’re not getting much sleep. Even with the community’s help, it’s wearying with so many children.”

“How many do they have?”

“That’s the problem. They didn’t estimate Taq’s species’ gestation times accurately, so both infants arrived at the same time, making juggling feedings trickier. It seems Lezlly’s knowledge of Tandorian child rearing is decidedly less than complete. All their children needed to be artificially inseminated; though the Lezmonom are similar enough Mui was able to carry them to term. However, Tak’s physique was too dissimilar. They’re exhausted, as they’re also continuing their regular jobs on our new space port.”

“That’s the other thing. How did they construct one so quickly, with us absent and the Lozzlint gone for nearly two years? That’s the majority of your workforce and the primary fabricators too.”

“It wasn’t so difficult. When they started, One insisted they build a framework and put it into geostationary orbit. Once it was in place, it didn’t matter when the Lozzlint left. They took the shuttles to work on it, and once they constructed a dock they could remain indefinitely. Although they’re roomy, no one is fond of living in a shuttle for long, as they aren’t designed for comfortable housekeeping or sleeping. Once Siss returned, bringing incredible amounts of supplies and raw material, the progress leapt forward. They’ve suspended their comet mining efforts, though they’re ready to resume whenever required. However, constructing new equipment seems a better use of our limited personnel. They say they’re prepared to start creating the devices you’ve proposed trading to the other worlds.” She paused, considering him. “So is there any more support for our efforts, now that the Tissk are no longer a hindrance?”

“After transferring what we acquired from the Irrq and Plssam to the Lozzlint, the Tissk traded us more, for less than we offered the other worlds. Tessli and To Lelli, the new Irrq and Plassam Intuits, then guided us back to their homeworlds. Their people were so relieved we hadn’t failed, they celebrated for a full week. They also filled us to the brim with the ore they’d collected since we’d left. Only they didn’t trade for it, they gave it to us as an advanced payment for whatever we can manufacture. The ship is loaded to the gills. Our shuttles will be constantly ferrying the fabricated components our ships produce for here and the new spaceport.

“Our engineers also examined their faster-than-light engines. We knew they achieve those speeds using a different scientific principle which neither the Tandorians nor Zssizliq thought was beneficial. It allows them to twist space to jump between distant linked locations. They get as near light speed as possible to generate the energy to leap to the nearest point.

“They never modified it beyond the original design. While not true faster-than-light travel, it’s a respectable accomplishment. Once our engineers examined it—despite being unfamiliar with the underlying concepts—they implemented multiple tweaks to increase their speeds. It was similar to how we merged techniques with the Peaceful Avenger to make all our engineering more efficient. We estimate they can now travel at least twice as fast. Since we upgraded Captains Yklyst and Ti Lobelli’s engines, they should have cargo heading our way. Hopefully we’ll have a variety of products for them to select from when they arrive. As they pre-paid for the finished merchandise, they can carry more back, faster, allowing them to bring the next batch sooner.”

“Everything seems to be developing beautifully,” Lizzlin concurred. “We have the resources and are expanding our infrastructure, now all we need is the time and personnel to finish it.”

“That’s another problem we’ve resolved, or rather the Irrq and Plssam have. Along with the raw ore, they’re transporting paying passengers eager to immigrate here for jobs. They cover a whole range of specialties, keen to learn our advanced techniques. It seems the employment prospects on their worlds aren’t great after the Tissk raids crippled their economies. They also couldn’t mine precious minerals, as that was what they demanded in tribute. With open trade with other planets, that’s all changed. The Tissk have an abundance of those goods, but need others to transport it for them. Thus they still have a huge advantage, but need to negotiate with other worlds to contract for our new technologies.”

“That’s terrific,” Mui called out, approaching from behind, “so when can we see the new engine details?”

Turning, they saw her, Wag, Kal and their three children. The two Lezmonom men seemed more mature than when they’d left. Mui, despite being tired, seemed younger and more enthused. Apparently the stress of losing her bond-mates, while not forgotten, was relieved by her new family’s support.

“These are Wii, Lamar Jr., and Takri. Wii, say hello to Al, the man Lozzlint called to bring us to the planet named for your other father.” As the eldest hemmed and hawed, Mui rested her hand on her belly. “As you can see, we have yet a fourth waiting to be born. However, once she pops out, I’m done. I’ve too much to do and too many to train to be spawning new babies this frequently.”

Too young to say much, Wii waved and muttered something indistinguishable, though it sounded Lezmonom rather than Tandori. Takri looked like Taq, except tougher and more masculine. Al wasn’t sure whether it was how he adapted to being bi, or if the females were their species’ natural aggressors. He wasn’t about to ask, though. One could tell him later.

“Speaking of being overworked, whom should I speak to about our new ship designs?”

Mui looked shocked. “Why me, of course. If I’m unavailable, then either Wag or Tulli. Since Tulli accompanied you to Tissk, she’s unfamiliar with our current capabilities, though it shouldn’t take her long to catch up. Trust me, despite these little tykes, we’re actively involved with the development efforts. Even though we have plenty of Lezmonom engineers, they need supervision. You took the only one trained in weightless conditions, so I’ve been educating a new generation and giving the others more exposure to the different specialties. They don’t have my specialized physique for working in zero gravity, but the expertise is a tremendous help.”

“Okay, how soon can we start manufacturing tools and other devices we can sell? Something beyond the drones One is already constructing?”

Mui smiled broadly, enjoying discussing technical details. “We’re experimenting with new, simplified engines, which are easier to produce and integrate. They’re much faster than their current models, but still not comparable with ours. We’re not quite prepared to put them into production, but once we finish our orbiting manufacturing facilities, we can begin mass-producing them. We’re also ready to create more complex drones. These can’t be used offensively, as they’re for geostationary orbits, but they’ll provide planetary defenses. We thought of them for the Glaznik, as they’re superior to their inefficient static-discharge weapon. They’re laser based, extremely effective and long range, though not comparable with our lasers. You keep insisting you want to increase the other worlds’ technology in increments, so these are a decent first step. It’s a powerful defensive device, which can’t be retrofit for ships without ruining the lasers.”

“Excellent, we’re thinking along the same lines. I’d prefer starting them off with modifications of their current engines. That gives us time to properly develop the new production facilities. Plus, they can repair their own equipment, learning to better engineer products themselves. But what you’re offering is a step beyond, as it provides an elaborate defense with little risk of abuse. We can crank them out and they’ll be eagerly snapped up by everyone.”

“We’re also developing some singular shipboard lasers, rather than the laser arrays we use. These would be mounted on each side of the vessel, however many they want, but are fired individually. They’re powerful, but take more effort to fire, so they’re not as dangerous as simultaneously firing devices. They also require individual targeting, so we’ll need to add a separate AI component.”

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.