Building a Nest of Our Own - Cover

Building a Nest of Our Own

Copyright© 2020 by Vincent Berg

16: Leaving Home in Search of War in the Name of Peace

Black and white image of a female human as seen through her helmet faceplate as she watches her new home from space.

Economically considered,
war and revolution are always bad business.

Ludwig von Mises

“I hope everyone said their goodbyes.” Al stroked Solomon as the Peaceful Avenger neared the edge of the Goozmn system. “It’ll be some time before we return. We won’t be gone for long, but with time dilation, it’ll likely be years before your loved ones see you again.”

“That’s why we brought them with us,” Zita reminded him. “As for everybody else, they’ll miss us, but they’ll have plenty to keep them busy in the interim.”

“That was the plan. I’m just reminding you what we’re facing.”

“Except, in our prisoner-of-war’s example,” Gary prodded. “They’re returning home a full decade sooner than expected, with a shitload to tell the authorities! But yeah, we took the necessary time to say our farewells. We know what’s involved.”

Al leaned back, sipping the Lamar version of tea, which though bitter wasn’t half bad. “Speaking of spouses and bond-mates, I’m curious how many pregnancies began during our few months home? In our case, both Be and Xi got pregnant within a couple weeks of each other.”

“I’m planning on it as well with One’s assistance,” Myi added, “but we’re waiting for the optimal time. Hopefully, it’ll take place during the mission, preferably while we’re in transit.”

“Are you sure it’s wise having everyone pregnant at once? Isn’t it smarter scheduling them over time, so only a minimum number of essential personal are indisposed at a time? Not to mention having others to ease them through the difficult phases.”

“It’s not an issue with the Tandorian aids,” Myi replied. “Plus, it’s just the original members of the Peaceful Avenger who’re likely to be in any rush, since we’ve waited so long. The Lezmonom have plenty of kids already and never stopped. They’re also so eager to prove themselves they’re more focused on their new careers, earning recognition and building a home for their existing families. As they weren’t under the severe manpower shortage we were, they didn’t feel constrained. With so few experienced crew members, we couldn’t afford to sideline anyone, even for only a few days.”

“We’ve observed that across the board,” Bi admitted. “It’s easier as you humans can simply jump on each other and have at it. For us Tandorians, with no other of our species, we need to wait for the optimal times or specific triggering events. Our aids help with those, but don’t eliminate them. Yet we won’t be put off indefinitely, as I’m hoping to join the others—during this trip if possible. Though, I plan to be safely back on Lamar rather than dropping a newborn on the bridge’s deck.”

Glancing around, Al lowered his voice. “Moving on, did anyone notice anything odd about Mui and her ‘students’ before we left?”

The people on the bridge glanced at each other, before several broke into giggles.

“For somebody who can peer into the future,” Zita said, “sometimes you’re completely oblivious. It’s hardly a secret. It’s taken a while because she didn’t want to act too soon, but she’s become close with her students. Naturally, when the chemistry is right, sparks fly. They’ve been flirting for a while, but I don’t think it’ll be long before they’re a ‘couple’.”

“They?” Al asked, not quite following.

“The Lezmonom dote on her,” Zita explained, dancing around the question. “They honor her and her previous partners. She and Wag are extremely close and are never far from each other’s side. But she’s also taken a shine to Trevor, our warrior-in-training. Why do you think neither requested to be stationed aboard the Peaceful Avenger?”

“So she’s replacing her two pair-bonded husbands, with two new ones?”

“They’re aren’t married yet, but chances are, they will be by the time we return. She misses her previous spouses, and they have filled the gaps they left in her heart. It’s not like with Lamar, who was more attracted to other men than her. They both think Mui walks with ruby slippers and can do no wrong. They don’t appear to have a problem with each other, and I’m sure they’ll act on it, but she’s the glue binding them together.”

“It goes further than that,” Xi confided. “They consulted with me early on, wanting to prevent something they might regret. Their aids had already triggered the pair-bonding process. I halted it, just so they could be clear whether this was a conscious decision or not, but ... I instructed their aids to go ahead and complete the process before we left. Once someone’s pair-bonded, there’s really little choice left, as we all know from personal experience.”

“I think it was a done deal a long time ago. She’s gone from the odd man out to the central starring role with two adoring fans,” Triliz said. “I can’t think of a better way of honoring all three than continuing their relationships while emulating their professional ethos.”

“I must admit, Mui certainly deserves it,” Al reflected. “The Lezmonom have kept her going, keeping her mind off of her loss. It shouldn’t be a surprise, but I didn’t think it had progressed beyond the casual flirting stage.” He paused. “I wonder which will be the father of the first baby.”

“That’s easy,” Tulli whispered. “Like the rest of us, it’s impossible to conceive a different species’ offspring. Thus Lamar, Taq, Wag and Trevor’s baby’s will be fertilized and nurtured by Lezlly utilizing the Lozzlint‘s regeneration tubes. Which pops out first is based on whether the Lezmonom’s gestation period is longer than your human’s. But I know for a fact that Taq’s will take the longest, by a significant amount.”

Al shrugged. “It kinda takes all the romance out of a natural birth with its screaming, cursing and physical wear and tear.”

“She wanted to carry Lamar and Taq’s babies to term, but the One said no. In Taq junior’s case, it wasn’t possible. Aside from the physical differences, he wants to monitor the process to ensure the stored cells remain viable and address any resulting issues if they aren’t.”

“See what you miss when you’re busy planning the future of galactic civilizations? Things slide right by without my noticing. Well, here’s wishing them the best of luck.”

____________________
“All right, folks,” Al announced, his voice transmitted throughout the ship. “We’re approaching the Tissk system. While this is ostensibly a peace mission, they’re unlikely to interpret it as such. Prepare your battle stations, check your systems, be wary, and remain focused. Once more, despite their numbers, they don’t present much of a threat. Although we have defenses against their disruptor rays, it’s best to avoid them whenever possible. We want to enter, introduce ourselves, let them know they can’t intimidate us, and leave, giving them time to consider their limited choices. We’re providing a simple choice between beneficial cooperation and fruitless resistance. Unfortunately, it won’t be an easy decision. I want to give them every chance to do the correct thing. I’m not anticipating trouble, but anything is possible.”

“Everyone is prepared,” Gary responded. “The shuttles are prepped and ready to launch at a moment’s notice. We’ve also reviewed which procedures worked best during our last encounter. Our defense, repair and medical personnel are set to respond, though I’m guessing we’ll be rescuing them rather than defending ourselves.”

“That’s why I’d prefer not providing an opportunity for them to start anything. If we get in, state our position and get out, it’s better for everyone.” Al mentally switched channels.

“Are you Tissk primed for your return to your homeworld? It’s a long journey. We’re merely dropping you off, delivering a brief message, and leaving before they can respond. We don’t want to provoke a conflict. That means you’ll be flying to your homeworld on your own. It’ll take your fighters a while. Even with the extra oxygen we supplied, your reserves will barely last. I can’t comprehend why your leaders don’t equip their vessels with basic life support, but their design considerations are out of our hands.”

“We’re as ready as possible,” Gurrstlk said. “They won’t be pleased we lost one of the few remaining Elder Ones’ ships, or suffered our first defeat.”

“They’ll be shocked, as no fighter has ever returned without their ship,” another pilot noted.

“I’d prefer returning without restraints,” Kclekt complained. “The authorities will never know I was restrained before we dock. The Tissk have no procedures for intercepting and recovering fighter pilots. The assumption is if their ship is lost, their lives are forfeit.”

“Yeah, I’d like to change that mindset. It’s counterproductive. Why risk your life supporting a culture that doesn’t value you? They may have no choice, but they also have no incentive to excel. Half-assed is all you’ll ever get out of them.”

“You mean other than not being shot?” Gurrstlk countered. “Or being refused landing permission?”

“There’s a significant difference between firing rapidly but aimlessly, and achieving anything. It’s not that they aren’t motivated to survive, there’s no incentive to excel, and no reward for exemplary service.”

“Until now, we’ve never lost a single battle,” Gurrstlk pointed out. “With no serious opposition, there’s little need for extraneous effort. For most, just seeing a squadron of fighters is enough to either flee or surrender. For the Tissk, their choice doesn’t matter. All they’re interested in is tribute. Once they receive it, they’re glad to dump their hostages, while they provide added incentives as they execute them, one at a time.”

“Sorry, not on my watch.”

“Hey, you don’t need to convince me. Convincing Supreme Commander Illkk and his Military is another matter.”

“Is there any sort of interplanetary financial system?” Gary inquired, hoping to uncover additional insights into their motivations. “If not, what sort of tribute do they demand?”

“No. When the Elder Ones first established contact, they never traded or bartered for anything. They helped each world develop so they’d eventually be capable of interplanetary travel. The Tissk are mainly interested in rare, precious commodities: gold, silver, platinum, gems or diamonds. Over time, those ran out as the other worlds stopped mining them, since they’d only lose them again. So lately it’s been basic resources: metals, fuels, and food and oxygen for the return trip home.”

“We’re entering the Tissk system and returning to sub-light speeds,” the One stated.

“We’ll see,” Al concluded. “For everyone’s sake, I’m hoping they’re more willing to snap up some tempting bait than cower to our demands.”

The display on the bridge showed their homeworld, with each world highlighted and marked.

“Gurrstlk, what’s that small planet nearest us?”

“That? It’s called Rsquu. It has a thin atmosphere and has been proposed for off-world farming, but no one has tried implementing it yet.”

“Head for it and we’ll release our prisoners there.”

“Do you want to transmit a message, so they knew who we are?” Zita inquired.

“Not yet. We’re undetectable by their monitoring equipment, and they’re incapable of covering the distance quickly enough to threaten us. One, send some drones so they can hear us in real time and deactivate our sensor defenses. Just to ensure they see us, light us up like a Christmas tree. I want them to wonder who dares invade their territory unannounced, risking reprisal. Our not asking is our declaration that we aren’t cowered by their hopelessly antiquated forces.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.