Building a Nest of Our Own - Cover

Building a Nest of Our Own

Copyright© 2020 by Vincent Berg

13: Picking a Home and a Fight

V: Defending a Home They Don’t Yet Possess

We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality,
tied in a single garment of destiny.
Whatever affects one directly, affects us all indirectly.

Martin Luther King Jr.

Black and white image of a human woman touching the face of an alien as their eyes meet.

Wars are, of course, as a rule to be avoided;
but there are far better than certain kinds of peace.

Theodore Roosevelt

“All right,” Al asked as their first dino-extravagance wound down. “We’ve explored our first three most-likely planets: Quichoq, Lamar and Woodham. Each shows evidence—however circumstantial—of being ‘visited’ by someone who’s helped them along. If we choose one, we may encounter whoever influenced them. As such, it’s time to make a choice. Are we satisfied? Are we prepared to pick one as our home, whatever it entails? Or do we continue on, gambling our remaining reserves on the chance of discovering a better one? I’ll admit though, by selecting the name Quichoq, I was doubtful we’d choose it. The memories are still too raw.”

Everyone glanced at one another, wiping their mouths, savoring the local water and considering their options.

Trevor tipped his cup toward his commanding officer. “Despite this wonderful meal, I think we can all agree we’re not prepared to call Woodham home. No offense to your onetime friend.”

“I don’t know.” Lizzlin scratched her new pet dino. It was about the size of a domestic cat, complete with brownish-green feathers and a bright green and pink crest. Being wild it was leashed, but glad to receive the salad offerings without risking its life competing on the Woodham plains. “I adore Lizzli, which means ‘one delivered by Lozzlint’.” She stopped, turning to Al. “‘Li’ is a feminine suffix for ‘little one’, so it doesn’t apply to you.” She fed it another leaf, before facing everyone. “I’ve always wanted a pet of my own. Since my pupils honored me by capturing one, I recommend we select a modest subset of the smaller animals. That way we can see whether we can domesticate them: either as a meat source or preferably as pets. Especially now as we have room to walk them on a new world.”

“Personally, it’s better if we wait,” Etta urged. “Traveling with a variety of wild beasts will be trying. Since they’ve never been domesticated, they’re likely to kill each other in captivity, even if we only select herbivores. Let’s establish a semi-permanent habitat first. Once we’ve built a separate animal enclosure, we can return and undertake a more systematic collection after studying their behaviors, needs and requirements.”

Lizzlin frowned, but nodded sagely. “I understand your caution, but I’m afraid little Lizzli will get lonely. I was so hoping to share my new treasure with others.”

“I’m unconvinced you can successfully housebreak a dino-chicken,” Gary said. “Since it’s wild and untrained, she may attack, especially after reaching sexual maturity. There’s also the question of exposing children to it. And how the hell are we supposed to milk a dinosaur?”

“Before we get too distracted,” Al said, “let’s settle this. Do we continue exploring or choose a home?”

“Despite my previous reluctance,” Triznor ventured, “I think we should follow your earlier suggestion. We should return to the most hospitable world, which also has neighbors we can potentially work with. Once we’re settled, we’ll consider further exploration in a few years.”

“I agree,” Be said. “Lamar seems ideal. While it doesn’t have much wildlife, it has virtually everything else we need. As Etta pointed out, we can always experiment with importing a few larger animals to domesticate.”

“Great, I’m assuming you’re volunteering to milk the thirty-foot dino-chickens?” Gary asked.

Be pulled her cuffs down and smoothed her sleeves before responding. “We’ll address that in time. I’m just suggesting we begin building a home, now that we have an acceptable world. It won’t be our final choice, but it allows us a refresh to start families, build facilities, replenish our supplies and adjust to a habitable planet again. Most of us have either spent their entire lives restricted to caverns, or never had a place we belonged to begin with.”

“Speaking of welcoming communities, I’d like to offer another suggestion,” Triznor said. “As I sense some hesitancy over naming a terrifying world after an old friend, I propose renaming Woodham ‘Lizzlin’. I was reluctant to honor her and Lozzlint before we chose a home. However, she has an affinity with this world—even if she’d rather not live here.”

“That’s ... a wonderful idea,” Mui exclaimed, placing her hand over her heart. “Though, if it’s all the same, I’d prefer my namesake resided between the others, instead of stuck at the end, distancing me from Taq. We were unified partners, not a single sexual relationship with me merely tagging along.”

“Since we named the planets arbitrarily, I see no harm in reassigning them,” Al declared. “Any preferences for which world you’d prefer?”

Triznor chuckled. “It’s a symbolic honor, one which will keep her name fresh for hundreds of generations. As Lamar seems our likely new home, it’s fitting we commemorate Lozzlint for bringing us there. I propose christening Goozmn’s first planet after her. As it’s distant, hostile and lonely it’s appropriate, given our sometimes tenuous understanding of what she wants from us.”

“It’s a fitting tribute,” Lizzlin said with a note of finality even Al was hesitant to argue with. “It honors her while reminding us of how difficult our lives have been till now. The stark difference between her world and Lamar will forever remind us what you both have done for us.”

Al glanced around. “From everyone’s responses, I’m guessing it’s the consensus. If anybody prefers either Quichoq or Lizzlin, speak now and make your case so we can discuss it. Otherwise, we’ll make plans to return to Lamar and begin building a permanent settlement.”

No one said anything, but each scanned the room, checking whether anyone had any objections.

“That was an easy decision. I declare Lamar, barring any major objections from the Glaznik, to be our new home. The previously unnamed third Goozmn planet is now ‘Takrrq’. The first is Lozzlint, and this world will hereafter be known as Lizzlin.”

“I’d like our engineers to design plans for building suitable habitats for everyone, and determining what terraforming and environmental changes we’ll need to perform. I’ll also ask our biologists how we can grow our non-native crops without damaging the natural ecosystem. Yes, Chich’k, I see you waving. We’ll find a way to raise full-sized versions of your favorite trees, but we can’t all live off nuts—or dinochicken-burgers—indefinitely.”

“If it helps,” the One offered, “we’ve finally determined the full gravitation effects of each body—including the many dark elements. While it won’t make living here any easier, we now know when it’s unsafe to approach. I’ve also deployed a drone to monitor the system. When we depart, we’ll continuing getting updates, including whether anyone else visits.”

“That certainly makes returning simpler,” Al granted. He turned back to his audience. “The next item is whether we return to Lamar, remain longer now that Lizzlin is in a stable orbit, continue exploring or...” He hesitated, glancing around the room. “Undertake finding the alien forces harassing the Glaznik and other nearby worlds we don’t yet know of? While we can defend our neighbor if they return, it’ll be harder with only a single ship stationed there.”

“While it’s sensible seeking out potential enemies before they attack,” Gary said. “I don’t think there’s any point using both ships, since the Lozzlint isn’t suitable or ready for interstellar combat.”

“I agree,” Triznor said. “It makes little sense dragging us along as you go chasing across the galaxy. I suggest we return to Lamar, and we’ll begin creating a new home while you determine the extent of the dangers we’re facing. While we may not be an imposing warship, I trust we’re capable of defending ourselves if anyone tries attacking the Glaznik.”

“Okay, but it raises a new issue. Do we maintain our current crews? Or would the Lezmonom prefer staying with Triznor, Lizzlin and the rest of their people? Or should we reshuffle personnel, giving others opportunities they haven’t had yet?”

“It’s a fair, but unrealistic question,” she argued, “given the majority of our people are undertrained and inexperienced. While we’re excited about constructing our new home, many are eager to serve with you for the experience it offers. Those need to be individual decisions, with someone making the ultimate staffing choices for both ships.”

“I can handle the requests,” Betty volunteered. “I’ll ensure we have a full contingent of specialists on each ship and present the results to Al and Triznor.”

“Terrific. Anybody wishing to be reassigned, contact Be to make the arrangements. Yet as always, the final determinations are the captain’s. The success of our dual missions is more vital than anyone’s individual preferences.”

“I wanted to return to erect a permanent memorial to Lamar and Taq,” Mui said. “But it doesn’t make sense committing our only remaining experienced external engineer to a potential combat mission.” Several hands shot up and many started speaking, so she raised both hands, silencing them momentarily. “I understand many are eager to follow their lead to honor them. Seeing as we’ll need those services in space rather than here, I think they should be assigned to the Peaceful Avenger. Though we’ll likely assign a few of the more experienced Lezmonom engineers to the Lozzlint. I’ll remain behind where I can train new recruits and oversee operations on our new home world.

“We should also dedicate a few to repairing Triznor’s faster-than-light engines,” Ivan suggested. “Lamar and Taq were prepared to, but we lost their plans when they died.”

“They might not have recorded them, but it doesn’t mean we never discussed them,” Mui corrected. “The best way to train everyone in drive maintenance is under the guidance of our remaining expert. That way, when you return, we’ll have an entire team of qualified specialists ready to implement the repairs. The Lozzlint can’t travel far until then, but as we’re creating a permanent settlement, it shouldn’t limit our efforts.”

“In that case, we’ll need duplicate assignments to split the load. The novice Lezmonom engineers can double their duties to balance our shipboard workforces. Be, if you can also handle that, I’d appreciate it.” Al turned to Siss, who’d been sitting quietly, following the unfolding conversation. “As our second-most experienced Intuit, I think you should assist Be. As you helped identify and train our newest Intuits, you can select those best suited to each task.”

“Which brings up another potential personnel conflict,” he continued. “I’d like to take Triliz and Lox with me, leaving the rest on the Lozzlint.” They both leaned forward, concerned where the discussion might assign them.

“It shouldn’t be difficult to arrange, though it’ll make safeguarding the people developing the new settlement trickier.”

“If you don’t mind, sir,” Triliz said hesitantly. “We received plenty of experience on Lizzlin. As much as we enjoyed the responsibility and excitement, you’ll do better with a more experienced Intuit. They’ll be able to anticipate issues and you can return sooner. We can manage any risks on Lamar’s surface, as well as any emergencies in orbit.”

“I agree,” Lox said, nodding. “It’s a more appropriate allocation of talent. It frees more slots for those desiring combat experience under your seasoned officers.”

“Are you sure? I’d hate to sideline you after your accomplishments aboard the Peaceful Avenger.”

“Absolutely, sir. You can always make amends once we head out again after we rebuild the Lozzlint‘s drives.”

Al grinned, appreciating their more confident styles. “Sounds like a deal. That too is settled. Are there any more outstanding issues?”

“Yeah, I’ve got one,” Triznor said, rubbing her belly. “After eating this wonderful meal, I wouldn’t mind taking one last flight down to bag another dinosaur. It’ll be a while till we get another opportunity to stock up on fresh meat for so many.”

“Permission for an impromptu expedition granted,” he agreed, waving his hand. “Hearing the landing party’s wild stories, you’ll have plenty of volunteers seeking similar adventures. It’s especially true if they don’t have to worry about the planet flying off from under them. Just ensure the Peaceful Avenger has plenty of its own!”

__________
“I have to admit,” Al said, surveying the smoothly functioning bridge, “I’m glad to return to Lamar. I’m ready to settle down. Lizzlin was too exciting for my taste.”

“Yeah, it wasn’t as simple as toppling ancient galactic empires,” Myi countered. “You can’t just do whatever you want without anyone suspecting what you’re up to.”

“Point taken,” Al admitted, “but I’m unused to feeling powerless when my people’s lives are at stake. I’m fine waiting when I have a plan in place, however long it takes to implement. Yet I’m a nervous wreck just responding to things on the fly. That’s why I’m such a good Intuit. Once I’m aware of what may happen, I detail how to resolve the issues before anyone knows anything is wrong.”

“As everyone kept reminding you, even though there was some excitement, it’s a stable system. So no one’s lives were really at stake—aside from the dinosaurs we consumed. After everything we’ve been through, you like being in charge. Despite assigning their roles and pushing them to accept responsibility, you don’t like it when they proved they don’t need your guidance anymore.”

“Yeah, there is that. Triznor and the other Lezmonom keep throwing me for a loop, sending me into mini-panic attacks. I need to work on relaxing around them. But the best resource for spiritual advice is the high priestess, Lizzlin. Yet when she starts discussing Lozzlint, I tense up. What upsets me more than my lack of control is everyone’s expectations. With our original blended crew, everybody knew what to expect. Namely that I like keeping things to myself so I can surprise them all at the last moment. They were comfortable with that, sort of.

“Now, her people assume I won’t have any difficulty accomplishing anything. I like surprising people who underestimate me. I’m not prepared when they expect miracles on a daily basis.”

“No one ever suggested that,” Myi argued. “But they trust Lozzlint to provide the solutions—through you—rather than depending on you alone.”

“Sorry to interrupt, but we’re coming out of light speed soon,” the One said. “Prepare to evaluate our next jump.”

“That’s fine, I’m ready,” Al said, stepping forward to focus. “This had gotten fairly routine, particularly with as much assistance as we now have.”

As the ship transitioned, Al’s head snapped up, and his head scanned the area, seemingly seeking something.

“I’m detecting an unknown vessel,” the One announced. “It’s massive, primitively designed, and contains significant armaments relying on large reactor cores for power.”

“I noticed,” Al acknowledged. ‘Triznor, come to a complete halt. Do not advance and do not maintain your position to us. Let’s sit and see how they respond. Be prepared to react, but I need to act without waiting for you to match our actions.‘ He turned to Zita. “Broadcast a message to the ship. They won’t understand it, but at least they’ll know we’re ready to talk.”

“Done,” she said. “It’ll take time to reach them, for them to answer, and for their reply to return. Despite my expertise in standard communication protocols, radio and laser signals are so slow they make me want to pull my hair out.”

“Are you sensing anything?” Myi inquired. “Any dangers we should be aware of?”

“No, but it’s probably because we caught them by surprise, and they haven’t formulated a response. Yet I’m cautious because of the unpredictable nature of those weapons we discovered. Since the original instigator culture relied on them, it’s likely other interstellar societies in the sector will too. We need to assume they do. I’m confident we can avoid serious injuries, but unconvinced we won’t suffer indirect harm. Either near misses or long-term damage to their ships can impact our people, as Lamar and Takrrq’s fates illustrates. We’re also ignorant of improvements to the technology over the centuries. I don’t believe they’re effective at large distances given their energy dispersal, but I don’t want anyone getting too close. There’s no telling what the residual effects might be.”

“How should we handle the situation?” Zita asked. “I sent a general hello, a generic ‘we’d like to talk’ transmission. If you want something more specific, you should phrase it yourself while I translate and broadcast it.”

“Let’s see how they react to our initial message,” Al said. “We need to observe how they handle unknown vessels: if they ignore us, interact or attack. That will determine whether we should suggest we’re here to protect them, or they’re the people we want to limit.

“How near do you need to be to connect telepathically?”

“Pretty close. On a system scale, it’s akin to geostationary orbit distance. Unfortunately, it may leave us vulnerable to the attacks you’re afraid of.”

“Let them come to us. If they approach slowly, or simply continue on their way, I have no problems. But if they advance aggressively, all bets are off.”

“They’re not altering direction or speed,” their Lezmonom navigator said.

“I’m getting a response,” Zita revealed, “but I can’t decipher it. I’m assuming it’s some type of visual image, but we don’t share similar processing standards.”

“Try broadcasting in Glaznik,” Al suggested. “If these are their harassers, they’ll be familiar with the language even if it establishes us as potential enemies.”

While awaiting the response, Gartu, their current bridge security officer, broached what was bothering them all. “While I understand their waiting for a reply, I can’t figure out why they’re not responding to our presence by taking specific actions?”

“I’m getting a response,” Zita interrupted. “They’re asking, in Glaznik, where we are, who we are, and what we’re doing in their territory without authorization.”

“Damn!” Al said, slapping his head. “We’re so accustomed to the Tandorians and Zssizliq using sophisticated detection techniques, we forget how skilled both are at disguising themselves.” He tapped his ear. “Triznor, maintain your normal cloaking. Navigation, distance us from the Lozzlint so we won’t expose her. Take us 83 parlents to the right and 98 up so we’re on a different approach vector. One, make us visible at that point. Cut off any signal interference and illuminate our exterior. I want our presence to be obvious.”

“We’re on the move,” their navigator said as the drive engineer engaged their engines.

“Most of our defensive features are integrated into our hulls, thus there’s no way to deactivate them,” the One informed him. “However, I’ve countered the signal suppression, retransmitting their signals back to them. They’ll get some radio echo from us, though not much. Their signal will come in clear, confirming our presence, size and dimensions, but the distance and location won’t be accurate. I’ve also activated our external floodlights, though our exterior absorbs rather than reflecting light. They’ll see them if they’re looking, but we’ll fade into nothingness if they glance away. That affects any photon receptors too.”

“Looks like you’ve gone beyond my initial request. Once again, I’m thankful you’re unconstrained and free to anticipate what I’m after. Zita transmit the following: Unknown vessel, this is Captain Al Collins of the Peaceful Avenger. We’re unfamiliar with your origin and consider you a potential enemy. Our weapons are vastly superior to yours. You do not want to engage us, as I can assure you, you will lose. Do not advance from your current position or we’ll be forced to fire. We need to know who you are, where you are from, whether you’ve harassed the nearby worlds, and if your intentions are peaceful.”

“I’m not sure I can handle all that without Chich’k’s classic simplification, but I’m sending a decent approximation. I still haven’t mastered their language.” Zita held her hand by her ear. “The Glaznik confirmed these are the ones who attacked them and the nascent culture on Lamar.”

“I’m ordering a high-alert status,” Al notified both ships. “I want everyone in their shuttles, prepared to engage, but we need to wait. These are hostile forces. While I prefer negotiating a peaceful settlement, it’s uncertain whether they’ll accept, as we’re having trouble communicating.”

“Don’t forget,” Myi cautioned. “The ship we discovered was ancient, so their weaponry could be significantly more advanced. Don’t assume their capabilities are as limited as you presume.” She paused. “Do you want me out in the field where I can be more efficient? I’m one of the few with extensive combat experience, something your Lezmonom crew lacks.”

“Yes. Take my personal shuttle and whomever you need. I need someone on the front line I can converse with.” She ran from the bridge touching her ear, heading for the launch area in the nearest bay. It was a trait everyone now duplicated; imitating Al’s actions, despite the fact it had no effect on their Tandorian or the ships’ audio links.

“They’ve detected us,” Gartu said. “They’re turning their vessel, presumably preparing to brake using their primary engines. They apparently intend to aim towards us, whether to appraise, communicate or confront us, I can’t tell.”

“I’m detecting activity from their pod-bay doors,” the One said. “They’re launching something.”

“They’ve turned and are now firing their thrusters to counter their trajectory,” Gartu described. “Having completed the action, they’re still turning to face us. That means their engines are positioned to accelerate if they intend to attack.”

“You’re doing a fine job. If you don’t object, we’ve known you for far too long to continue using a butchered, humanized name. From now on, you’re back to being Garboltrixl.”

“I didn’t mind, but I’m glad being me again,” he reflected.

“They’re launching a number of small craft,” the One advised. “There are a lot of them, which I can only assume are fighters.”

“I suspected as much,” Al mumbled. “One, make us invisible again. Navigation, take us the same parameters further from the Lozzlint, so they won’t know where we are. I’m guessing they have no clue how swiftly we can traverse the distance between us. Shuttle crews, prepare to launch on my command,” Al directed over both ship’s audio channels. “Do not engage the enemy under any circumstance. Keep them off balance. If necessary, fire from a distance, distracting them so our other shuttles can maintain safe spans. I don’t want to see how our combined Tandorian/Zssizliq technology holds up under their weaponry. I’m not worried about suffering significant losses, but the long-term damage to the vehicles supporting us is more than I’m willing to risk. We need to determine how to defend against it before tackling them head-on.

“Triznor, they’re unaware of you. Send your people in and get behind theirs, so you can surprise them if they do initiate an attack.”

“Their fighters aren’t attacking,” Garboltrixl reported. “They’re amassing their forces, but are behaving defensively so far.”

“Probably because they’re unsure of our position. Once the primary ship transmits our coordinates, they won’t need to wait.”

“Correct,” Al admitted. “But they only have an approximation of our prior location, though we no longer have any vessels in the area. If they attempt to close, we’ll catch them in a pincher movement between us.”

“We’re receiving a reply,” Zita said. “They say: ‘Loud speak for he violate sovereign space. Stand away or face our terror!’ Sorry, it’s a rough translation based on my limited vocabulary at the moment. However, working with the Glaznik and applying their phrasing to the current context, I’m getting a better feel for it.”

“Weapons hot, everyone,” Al instructed. “They’re making threats, trying to bluff us into backing down.”

“Do you sense any danger?” Garboltrixl asked. “Surely, with the situation escalating, you should be sensing some specific dangers.”

“No, but it’s likely because we’re dealing with an unknown species. Their thought patterns are dissimilar, so I’m flying blind. What’s more, there’s no immediate threat, as they have no clue where to attack. While they may intend a full-on assault, I’m not anticipating any danger to our crew yet. As you recommended earlier, I’m not wasting time considering endless scenarios. Instead, I’m handling situations as they develop, trusting I’ll anticipate any dangers as they unfold.”

The small fighters flew past their more imposing mothership, advancing on the Peaceful Avenger‘s previous position, now equidistant from their two ships.

“Their vessel has corrected its course and is aiming towards us. They’re still making a sweeping arc due to their momentum,” the One said. “They seem intent on attacking.”

“Shuttles,” Al ordered. “Move out. Don’t attack the fighters head on, since they have no clue where you are. Pick them off one at a time from different directions. Keep them guessing, unsure where our attacks are coming from. It won’t take long to isolate individual lasers, so fire and rotate positions, giving the other shuttles a shot.

“They’re no risk to either of our ships, so we have time to defuse the situation. Hopefully they’ll see the futility of their actions. Give them time to reconsider or surrender after each attack. But you’re in charge. I don’t want any of our shuttles coming under fire.”

“Hot damn!” Garboltrixl muttered. “I never thought I’d experience actual interstellar warfare. I’ve been preparing for it my entire life, never able to imagine it. Now I’m here, coordinating our actions and responses!”

“Don’t get overexcited,” Al urged. “This is hardly a fair fight. It’s akin to picking on the slow kid several years younger than you. There’s won’t be much excitement. We’re trying to minimize their damage before they admit they’re unlikely to win. Even in a serious conflict, remain cautious when planning your attack so you can react to developing situations.” He spoke over his shoulder to Zita, not taking his eyes off the broad three-dimensional display.

“Foreign ship. Cease your advance. If you continue, you will be destroyed. Our weapons are substantially more powerful than yours. They’re effective from beyond your weapon’s range, and we are more experienced in this type of combat.”

“They’re not stopping,” the One and Garboltrixl said nearly simultaneously, several moments later.

Their shuttles reached the alien fighters before they’d traveled far from their initial position. Their plan allowed them to spread out, completely undetectable, as they slid behind the enemy fighters. They started firing on the individual vessels, targeting engines or weapons rather than pilots, gunners or life-support systems. They’d then move aside for the next shuttle to attack another.

The continuous assaults resulted in laser flashes that pierced the darkness and were impossible to hide. Yet as Al instructed, the shuttles kept shifting, so knowing where they were didn’t help identify where any one was.

“There’s a lot more chatter,” Zita said. “They’re reporting damage. The fighters and their command ship are trying to determine where the shots are coming from.”

“This is your second warning. It’s clear you’re incapable of challenging us. Call off your attack before we’re forced to hurt anyone. There’s no need for this to proceed any further.”

“Prepare to die!” the enemy Captain screeched. His threats were instantly translated as One and Zita handled the translations interactively via their quantum links. “You think you’re clever, hiding rather than confronting us directly, but you can’t hide forever. None dare oppose the Tissk! We’ll slaughter you all!”

“Pleasant guy,” Garboltrixl quipped.

The shuttles continued picking off enemy vessels, which persisted advancing on their old position. Some fighters tried to engage those near them, but without success. What’s more, the damaged ships obstructed those behind them, forcing them to veer off. That produced ever-widening confusion and disarray. Both ship’s shuttles were now picking off individual fighters before disengaging. The strategy seemed apt, as the enemy vessels fired randomly, hoping to hit something to learn where their foes were. As each shuttle picked off a few more, other fighters converged on the region. They were then taken out from another direction and a different vector, causing even more disruptions.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.