Building a Nest of Our Own - Cover

Building a Nest of Our Own

Copyright© 2020 by Vincent Berg

10: Too Hot to Touch!

If your ego starts out, ‘I am important, I am big, I am special,’
you’re in for some disappointments when you look around
at what we’ve discovered about the universe.
No, you’re not big. No, you’re not.
You’re small in time and in space.

Neil deGrasse Tyson

Black and white image of a small exo-planet in a binary solar system.

IV: Picking Among the Problematic

When I look at you,
I notice what the world does not see.
Our chemistry ignites like a forest fire
when our bodies embrace in love.
Like an eruptive volcano,
your love heats the coldest parts of my soul.

Ehinaaya

Al leaned forward, his chin resting on his fists as he studied the people gathered for the meeting. Seeing they were ready, he began.

“We’re here,” he said indicating the others around the room, “to iron out what we’re searching for in a home. We’ve discussed it privately, but it was a verbal debate between the members of our original crew. We’d like this to be a more formal discussion including our newer Lezmonom personnel. Although we have several promising leads, we want to be realistic about what we’ll accept. We previously decided that returning would be difficult given the elapsed time and our inability to restock without any Tandorian credits.”

“I wouldn’t worry,” Triznor assured him. “We have no desire to return to a failed empire which never wanted us. We’re confident in whatever you decide. As we’ve said, Lozzlint led you here to guide us. Since your knowledge is more current than ours, you’re infinitely better qualified to evaluate the choices.”

He chuckled. “It’s satisfying seeing how quickly you’re adapting to our speech patterns. You’re no longer speaking in broken, fragmented sentences. But while your confidence is reassuring, it only addresses part of our concerns.

“As you’re aware, the first planet for us to consider won’t have a habitable surface for several months out of the year. What’s more, most of these worlds don’t include any advanced life. We need to determine what’s unacceptable, what’s desirable, and when we cease searching to preserve our limited resources, particularly provisions. While you’ve expanded our rations, you’ve also substantially increased our crew size. So we need to consider whether it’s wise gambling on finding somewhere we can replenish our necessities. This is especially true for supplies requiring preparations: preserved food, heavy elements for fabricating supplies, or maintenance and construction facilities.”

“You know how much everyone consumes versus what we possess. If we’re unlikely to reach anywhere to purchase replacements and can’t pay anyway, does it really matter?”

“We weren’t counting on purchasing supplies,” Be explained. “We’d prefer to join an existing culture, or like you, combine resources. If it comes down to trading, we have plenty of advanced technology and information, which is what we’ve offered in the past. If we hope for a relatively comfortable life, it’s better relying on others to see us through the rough spots.”

“That’s presuming there are other commensurate cultures,” Etta said. “It’s reassuring speculating about it, but we have no evidence of surviving cultures in this sector, or know how to find them. We found the Lezmonom, but they’re Tandorian. Since then, we haven’t encountered anyone beyond the border worlds. There’s also the question of whether they’d want competition for their limited offerings, rather than taking ours. Holding out for something that may never occur seems a foolish fantasy we can ill afford. Given how the first century on a new world will be the toughest, I prefer starting with as many supplies as possible, rather than waiting until we’re on our last legs.”

“Since we came from a barely habitable planet where we spent hundreds of years, virtually anything is a trade up,” Lozzlint reminded them. “If we’re forced to, we have no problem settling for a similar situation. With more people, tools and knowledge, we’re already well ahead of anything we hoped to achieve at this point.”

“While I respect that, I want you to raise any issues you think are meaningful, particularly concerning your religious, philosophical or moral viewpoints. We’ve never had anyone from those backgrounds, whereas you Lozmonom do. We’re eager to hear as many perspectives as possible.”

“Our spiritual interests as the same as yours, as we’re waiting to find our true home. Since Lozzlint is guiding you there, and you’re leading us, your concerns are ours, which are ultimately hers. In the end, you’ll choose correctly, as she will ensure you do.”

“She didn’t do such a good job with your ancestors,” Al mumbled.

“Actually, she did,” Lizzlin, the Lezmonom head priestess, corrected him. “We escaped the Tandorian Empire when they were about to punish us for refusing conscription. The rest of our people weren’t prepared to leave. The last we heard, the military attacked our home world of Lezlonid as we left the border worlds. She led us safely past the Zitorians and delivered us to a world which kept us alive until you were ready to rescue us.”

“You have a lot of faith,” he countered, “blind though it might be.”

“I’ve got a question,” another Lozmonom asked. “Couldn’t we pick the best of the three worlds, establish a home, and once we’re stable, continue searching for better ones?”

He shrugged. “We could, but consider what might happen. If something prevents us from returning, half of us will be trapped on a largely undeveloped planet, while the others are left seeking their own.”

“Yes, something can always go wrong, but it doesn’t change our best option,” he argued. “If we select a less than ideal world, and stick around long enough to rebuild our resources, we could resume exploring from there.”

“When the time comes, assuming it’s necessary, we’ll consider it. There’s no sense arguing over hypotheticals. For all we know, we might find the perfect world right away.”

“Now you understand our position,” Triznor said. “If you suggest something we dislike, then we’ll object. Until you do, we’ll assume you haven’t rejected Lozzlint’s guidance. There’s no reason to suspect you will, but it’s entirely possible. When it does, we’ll face the crisis when it arises.”

Al spread his arms, surveying the collection of experts. “So there’s no point in us meeting here?”

“You know our position,” Theo said. “There’s really no benefit in repeating our previous discussions.”

He searched everyone’s faces once more. “Are there any objections?”

“We continue to trust Lozzlint to guide you,” Lizzlin informed him. “There’s nothing to object to ... yet.”


“Before your landing party departs, let’s recap your objectives,” Al stated. “As we learned on our arrival, this planet is carbon rich and possesses an oxygen-based atmosphere with sweeping bodies of water, including regular rainfall. You’ll note from the displays One and Lezlly are providing, the world also has abundant, complex photosynthesizing vegetation. Unfortunately, due to the binary stars it orbits, whenever it passes between them the surface temperatures spikes. Out of a nine-month year, almost two full months are too hot to venture outside an enclosed and properly maintained artificial structure.

“Thus your mission priorities are twofold, which is why we’re sending separate teams. The first will measure the particulars. While we understand the basic atmospheric components, we’ll need precise ground-level measurements, meaning no one will break containment by removing their helmets while on the surface. Due to the delicate ecosystem, we don’t want to disturb the foundations which keep it thriving. So until we know how the environment operates, we’re treating it with respect. For now, this is a simple information-gathering mission.

“The analysis will include plant life samples so we can determine whether we can live off it. Chances are, without animal life, the plants never developed the elements, like pollination, necessary to disperse over wide regions. We’ll also need to test the water to ascertain whether it’s drinkable, and the extent of life on the planet. So we’ll check soil and water specimens, scan the lakes for activity and measure for any non-plant based components.

“The second landing party will search for natural protections to the dual sun’s heat. That entails scanning various cliffs to establish their composition, stability, and any inconsistencies indicating caverns we can utilize in addition to artificial structures. Since such explorations are dangerous and require trained personnel, we’re only examining a single site at this time, leaving the other locations for later. For now, we’re just gathering enough evidence to support considering the planet for permanent habitation.

“Finally, from the painful lessons learned with our last exploration of an abandoned vessel, we’re splitting up our teams. Each group is assigned one of Xi’s assistants, with their own medical-monitoring spheres. During our previous awards ceremony, we identified two Lezmonom with the precognition trait. After providing them with the crucial aids to activate and develop those abilities, they’ll accompany separate squads. That allows Siss and I to remain behind to handle shipboard issues while giving them valuable experience in handling real-world dangers. Each team also has a security and scientific officer. The majority of both consist of Lezmonom trainees.

“Now, if everyone understands, let’s discover how this planet ticks and whether we can survive on this ball of grass-covered rock! Go with Lozzlint, and bring us back some reassuring news!”

__________
“Those are definitely some impressive mountains,” Del declared, staring up at the towering cliff before them.

“Eh,” Wag said. “Ours were nearly as tall, but when you can only venture outside once a year, it’s difficult comparing them.”

“How’s the drone coming?” Theo asked.

“I’ve got it ready.” The tiny device, no more substantial than a miniscule insect, shot into the sky, heading for the massive stone edifice. “I’m still unused to communicating telepathically with these things.”

“Not too close,” he warned. “We want to search for discrepancies over a wide area, not take detailed pictures of each feature.”

“I’m issuing the instructions now. It’s smart enough to determine the proper distance itself,” Wag said, despite having less experience with it than the others. Still, it was sound practice if they hoped to replace their lost experts, even if it didn’t occur in zero gravity. The Lezmonom apprentices required real-world experience dealing with uncertainties more than they needed dry runs and additional study time.

“Ah, I’m getting the readings now.” Theo studied the analytics on his datapod as Wag and Chich’k received a summary on their helmet visors. “The surface is hard enough to be effectively permanent—barring earthquakes—but with a wide array of gaps which indicate deeper chambers.”

“I’m not so sure.” Del stopped, observing the collection of fractured boulders littering the base of the mountain. “I wouldn’t get too close until we’re certain of exactly how unusual earthquakes are.”

“The One has been constantly monitoring the seismic activity.” Theo studied the display, observing the inconsistencies in the rock formations, which might indicate subsurface features. “The Tandorian technology is pretty effective in detecting those types of planet-based tremors. I’m sure there are plenty, but they occur on a geological timeframe, rather than our shorter perspective.”

“Still, there’s no sense taking unnecessary chances. At least not until Kal and I can identify the perils.”

“Don’t worry,” Triliz reassured her. “I don’t anticipate any immediate hazards, especially not from falling rocks.”

Triliz was one of their two new Intuit trainees, and as Al had proven repeated by his actions, they required real-world experiences to refine their precognitive abilities. Del was well aware those capabilities were one of the things she needed to guard against, as precognitives has a history of premature deaths.

“Please, if something does happen, warn me before you rush in. You’re new at this and still learning about the complications reacting to anticipated perils can present.”

“Yeah, I got it,” she sighed. “Yet if someone’s life is in danger, I’m not waiting until it’s too late to intervene.”

“Say,” Wag said, glancing around, “speaking of the risks of climbing insecure cliffs, where’s Chich’k? She was here last I looked.”

Del surveyed the area surrounding them. “I don’t know. The little minx will be the death of me, or her if I catch her.”

“She’s not in any immediate danger, wherever she is,” Triliz assured them.

“Only because you don’t know what she’s up to,” she replied. “As such, you can’t consider the alternatives.”

“There!” Kal yelled. “I see her stuff. It’s—shit, it’s her helmet and oxygen tank.”

“Jeez!” Del cried, rushing forward. “What is the little furball up to now?”

“There she is,” Theo said, pointing behind them, away from the crag, indicating a towering hardwood some distance away.

Turning, they saw a distinct little brown figure, rapidly ascending the swaying tree, which left her dangling at odd, impossible angles.

‘Chich’k, what are you doing?’ Del demanded. ‘You know you’re breaching safety protocols!’

Suit silly; no see, no move, no observe, ‘ she answered, though the others couldn’t follow the exchange.

‘If you’re after another damn nut, I’ll skin and mount your hide on the common room wall as a warning to everyone. We’re supposed to be training the Lezmonom to be cautious.’

‘Biggest caution be caution,’ she asserted. ‘No excel if no chances take.’

‘What are you after?’ she pressed.

‘See you. Too complicate ‘splain.’

‘How could it be too complicated to explain via an internal quantum link?’ Del argued, but Chich’k didn’t respond.

“Damn it, she’s on another wild-assed quest!” Like their captain, she held her hand by her head while communicating. ‘Al, Chi-Chi has gone rogue, violating your ‘no exposure’ orders.

‘Is she in any danger?’ he inquired.

‘Not yet.’

‘I don’t anticipate her encountering any problems,’ Triliz offered, apparently brought into the conversation by Al. ‘Though, each time I consider any of a hundred different scenarios, I see disasters at every turn. However, as best I can determine, her biggest threat lies in debating the issue with us.’

‘She undoubtedly knows what she’s doing,” Al noted. “This is typical of her, and she’s usually correct in the chances she takes. Leave her be. I sent her along to observe so she’d be aware of what we may need her to do later. I kept her off the Plains party to remove the temptation to go searching for trouble. For now, ignore her and continue with your objectives. If something happens it’s on my conscience, not yours. You played no part in her decision while I assigned her to the team.’

“The all-seeing Al says to leave her alone, letting her kill herself in peace.” Del shook her head before turning and returning to her previous position. “Let’s finish up so we can return with beneficial news before she has a chance to injure herself.”

“Do you want me to continue monitoring her?” Triliz asked.

She sighed. “No. Al is right. The more we fuss, the likelier we are to distract her. She’s used to perilous assignments, though I question her decision as no nut, however tasty, is worth the risk.”

“If it helps, I’ve found several decent sized openings in the cliff face,” Theo said. “I’ve noted each so we can review and evaluate which we may want to investigate. If we can locate a permanent shelter from the heat, it would help us determine whether this planet—damn!” he shouted, twisting around. “What is that? I keep having flashes of something shooting by, but can’t identify what they are. They’re like floaters, where something in your eye keeps surprising you where there’s nothing to see.”

“I’ve noticed them too,” Kal acknowledged.

“Me too,” Wag added. “I was reluctant to say anything, assuming I’d improperly prepared my visor and its relays.”

“Never be afraid to ask questions or bring up anything you’re unclear about,” Del urged, before speaking to the One. ‘Could you review my visuals for the last twenty minutes to identify those blurry streaks?

“Again, I’m getting no indication of any dangers,” Triliz offered.

“Still, we’re on a new planet, just starting to gather data. We need to understand what we’re seeing so we’re aware of any potential long-term implications. I’m running an analysis. We should have an answer soon.”

‘I’ve detected thirty-three separate anomalies similar to what you’ve described based on your party’s equipment,’ the One reported. ‘However, I’m unable to determine what’s causing it. It may be an atmospheric complication.’

Del shielded her eyes as she glanced at the sky. Rather than powder or ice blue, or obscured by clouds heralding rain, this was a mixture of sapphire with spacious periwinkle splotches, which randomly drifted from place to place. It looked like a giant carefree cloud of some unknown chemical formation.

‘Have you been able to determine the makeup of the atmosphere?’ she asked.

‘I have, and as I said earlier, there are no dangerous chemical compounds.’

‘So why does the sky keep changing color? I’m sorry, but while everyone else sees pretty colors, I see potential dangers.’

‘I’ve sent drones to determine the atmospheric conditions generating the odd colorations, but haven’t been able to collect any samples or detailed recordings. The circumstances producing them are too haphazard and I can’t anticipate their patterns. Whenever a drone nears, it evaporates. I suspect they’re disturbing whatever effect is creating the display.’

‘While I love mysteries, I hate them when my people’s lives are at risk,’ she muttered, turning to focus on more immediate concerns.

“Are we finished here?” she inquired. “The longer we futz, the more others will get bored and try something.”

“I was hoping to get Chich’k to gather some rock specimens, but it sounds doubtful,” Theo said, shrugging. “I’ve got enough information for an initial report. But we can hardly leave with her still out collecting treats.”

“Don’t remind me,” Del lamented. “Between the damn Intuits, inexperienced officers and stubbornly independent scatterbrains; providing security here is a nightmare.

“If it was an easy assignment, they wouldn’t have given it to you, my dear,” Theo clarified. “It’s nice you’re so mindful of potential threats, but you need to trust your people.”

“The dangers of an unexplored world are nothing compared to keeping track of unconstrained personnel.” She gave up trying to anticipate unexpected risks as she studied the cliff face again.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.