First Realm: Tham Phong Ahn's Story - Cover

First Realm: Tham Phong Ahn's Story

Copyright© 2019 by Diederik Rask

Chapter 2

It’s been a few weeks since Ki Jung left Dong Kyu, but she keeps in touch with the Trio regularly. Which Phong Ahn appreciates. It’s not the same being one of the Masters of Martial Arts at Jade Academy, rather than a student.

Phong Ahn, Min Joon, and Chanming are all taking turns teaching one week on, two weeks off. On their off weeks, they tend to personal business, go out hunting and adventuring, and study and practice the skills required for achieving First Dan.

Phong Ahn and Chanming have gotten closer and go out together to the Tea House to spend time together, among other activities outside the Academy. Ever since that kiss back in the middle ring, they have been exploring the possibility of a relationship between them. So far, things are looking good for them. Now, if only Min Joon could find someone compatible.


Phong Ahn has finished her week on and is starting her two-weeks off. Her plans are now on hold because Min Joon has just contacted her to see if she would be able to go meet up with Ki Jung in the middle ring. Specifics will have to be decided between her and Ki Jung.

Phong Ahn and Ki Jung talk and discuss the possibilities and agree on meeting up at Silver Cove. It will take close to five days for her to make the trip there, but Phong Ahn is looking forward to seeing Ki Jung and learning what this item of value is.

After bidding her mother and father good-bye, Phong Ahn heads out the door. Heading for the city gates before they close for the evening, she has her spear in hand, sword sheathed at her side, a ring with supplies and clothing, and more. None of it encumbers her as it is all contained within a few rings. This includes a spatial backpack. Out in the wilderness, one is likely to come across beasts and other items worth harvesting.

As she is traveling, she is pulling on her Qi reserves to push herself. She snacks, on the run, and drinks as needed, to reduce the amount of reliance on her Qi.

She has a constellation that she is using during the night time hours to guide her. During the day, she checks her mental map, based on the physical map she purchased, to make corrections to her path. She expected to hear from Ki Jung daily, but that has not been the case. This has her a bit worried. There’s nothing for it, though, so she pushes on.


On the third day, a bird of prey begins circling her. Ki Jung had mentioned having made friends with a Silver Hawk. What an amazing feat that was, she thinks to herself upon seeing the bird.

As the bird slowly approaches, Phong Ahn notices two things about it. One is that it is a Silver Hawk. The other is that it is wearing jesses. This only causes her more worry. There can only be one Silver Hawk wearing jesses in the First Realm. That’s Ki Jung’s bird.

Stopping and holding her arm up, Phong Ahn whistles and calls to the bird. She is only slightly surprised when the bird lands on her arm. It’s a good thing she has Body like Copper, or those talons would shred her skin down to the bone.

Taking a chance, she reaches out to the bird with a thread of Qi and her free hand. The moment she makes the link, the bird says, “Keejoon set meea.”

The vocalization is odd, but clear enough. The Qi link proves it beyond a doubt, this is Ki Jung’s bird.

This can only mean that something has happened to Master Lee. With a thought, she asks Sharpie to take her to where Master Lee was last seen. She expects it to be close to, or in Silver City. Therefore, it is a surprise when it takes off and flies in a different direction.

It takes a full day for her to reach the cave where Ki Jung was last seen. Disregarding of its distaste for enclosed spaces, Sharpie hops on the ground leading Phong Ahn in.

As soon as they are inside, Phong Ahn starts searching for signs of Ki Jung. The cave is relatively large, and she can only sense things within a 10m radius and hasn’t learned to adjust her senses the way Master Lee does.

To be on the safe side, Phong Ahn stops and connects with Chanming to let him know something seems to have happened to Master Lee. She gives him the location based on her travel and the positions Marshall and Silver Cover are. It might be a bit of a rough estimate, but it will have to do. The cliff face is somewhat easy to find. Nothing like it exists anywhere near it, so it cannot be mistaken for another landmark in this region.

To be sure, she ties a strip of red cloth around the limb of a dead tree nearby. That done, she enters the cave again. As it was with Ki Jung, she can feel the Qi that is being drawn in. On a hunch, she follows the flow of the energy and soon finds herself at the edge of a hole. Walking around it, she soon finds signs of somebody having been here recently. Such evidence won’t last long she determines. Though there is no weather to erode it, the flow of Qi is enough to do the job.

As she is thinking about what to do next, Sharpie dives down into the hole. Not really thinking, Phong Ahn reaches out for the bird and overbalances. With a scream, she is falling. How could things go so wrong?

Phong Ahn lands with a thud and is somewhat dazed. Soon, she realizes that it’s bright, not a concussion. Then she notices that she is outside. “Where’d the cave go.” she thinks. Then she sees Sharpie flying above her.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.