The Hungry Herd at Christmas - Cover

The Hungry Herd at Christmas

by TonySpencer

Copyright© 2019 by TonySpencer

Fantasy Story: A Christmas light-hearted fantasy. Tarquin and Tina are turkeys being fattened for the last shipment out before Christmas, but they see an opportunity to escape. Along their journey they meet other animals who they befriend, forming an unlikely herd, all the while looking out for The Farmer and The Farmer's Wife.

Tags: Heterosexual   Fiction   Fairy Tale   Farming   Humor  

“I am stuffed,” the turkey said, “completely stuffed, can’t move, couldn’t eat another pellet. What do they put in those things anyway?”

“Calm down Tarq, what’s rustled your feathers this morning?”

“Oh, I dunno, Tina, it all seems so wrong. I mean, I love three square meals every day but this constant supply of fast food is relentless.”

“You don’t have to eat it all, you know.”

“Yeah, but you feel compelled to, the troughs are never empty ... yet look at you, the slimmest turkey in the barn. I just don’t have your willpower.”

“I still love you as you are, big guy.”

“You’re so sweet. But I’m still angry about this food. Look, I’ve seen the packages the food comes in, ‘GM’ is says on the labels, I reckon it stands for Goat Meal.”

“It sure ain’t porridge.”

“And we’re packed in here like sardines, it’s worse than the Legoland queue for Fairy Tale Brook. I can’t even move around to exercise. Hey you, move, and you budge over. Hey guys, give me some room to breathe here.”

There were protests from some of the other birds but they generally moved over to give Tarquin some more space.

“Tarquin Turkey,” Tina scolded, “now what are you doing?”

“Exercising. Knees bend once, knees bend twice. Wiiiiings outstretched once, wiiiiings stretched out twice... <Puff>, well that’s enough for today.”

“Think that’ll do for exercise, huh, big boy?”

“Hey, I’m just saying, Tina, it’s a start. I can’t help it if I’m naturally big boned. See, feel that leg. Right?”

“Yeah, very meaty, dear.”

“That’s solid hard muscle, Teen. Anyway, I think we gotta get outta here, away from this barn, make a break for freedom, you and me. I gotta bad feeling about staying here much longer.”

“What? Bad feeling? Why? It’s really cosy in here, Tarq.”

“Well, I don’t like the way that The Farmer’s Wife keeps looking at me.”

“Well, sweetheart, you’re a fine figure of a turkey, I like looking at you myself.”

“Yeah, well that’s alright baby, because I think you’re pretty cute and I could look at too, but you don’t lick your lips and rub your belly while you’re looking.”

“Maybe you’ve got a point, Tarq.”

Later that day, Tina noticed Tarquin sitting by himself, morosely chewing pellets at one of the corner dispensers. She worked her way through the crowd of turkeys, who tended to stay away from the barn corners.

“So, have you cheered up a bit more now, Tarq?”

“No, I’m still miserable.”

“So why are you back to eating all the time again?”

“Bored. Absolutely bored. Nothing else to do. Look around us. Turkeys stuffed from here to the walls and back again. And all of us eating and drinking and, not to put it too bluntly, passing a lot of wind.”

“You probably are, Tarq. I’m a lady, I am surrounded only by subtle perfume.”

“Yeah, right, don’t forget I’m here around you all the time, Teen, I’ve seen your feathers rustle.”

“So,” she said, quickly changing the subject, “how’s the exercising going?”

“Saving me energy, aren’t I, for our great escape bid.”

“So, digging us out of here are you? Huh! The only scratching I’ve seen you do, I’ve had to look away in embarrassment.”

“Well, the way we’re crowded in here, I’m not surprised we’re scratching. If one bird in here caught the sniffles it would be through the lot of us before we knew it. Hey, look, Tina, the barn door’s being unlocked, I can hear the bolts sliding, let’s get over there. Come on, we can do this, make our bid for freedom, you and I.”

Tarquin and Tina pushed their way through the crowd of turkeys towards the barn door. It creaked open and The Farmer’s Wife stood in the doorway, a bucket in one hand. Tarquin pushed past her before The Farmer’s Wife realised what was happening, but she managed to grab Tina before she could squeeze by. Tina squawked at her mate Tarquin.

“Run, Tarq, run for your life!”

Tarquin stopped and turned, Tina was struggling to get free but The Farmer’s Wife was too strong and lifted the turkey’s claws off the ground. Tarquin was torn. Go or stay, if he stayed he would never be given another chance of freedom, but could he live with his conscience leaving Tina behind?

Tarquin ran back and grabbed the bucket that the Farmer’s Wife had dropped by her side so she could grab Tina with both hands. He ran away from the barn with the bucket for five or six strides, turned and dropped the bucket at his feet.

“I have here,” he announced loudly to all the curious turkeys gathered in the barn doorway, behind The Farmer’s Wife and the struggling Tina, “the finest, tastiest gourmet pellets that money can buy. Come and get them, no dodgy E numbers in them, and all very very tasty!”

He stuck his head deep into the bucket, which was full of disgusting smelly flea powder treatment, but came up showing his chewing beak, pretending to enjoy a special treat.

“Mmmm, perfect pellets! Limited supply now, first come, first served!”

The turkeys looked at one another and then, as a flock, stampeded towards Tarquin and the bucket. The Farmer’s Wife in the way didn’t stand a chance, she was bowled over by the birds and had to release Tina, who rushed at the head of the stampede towards Tarquin.

“Run for it!” she shouted, and Tarquin turned just as Tina overtook him at full, pelt. They ran on until they hit the lane to the farm, leaving the other turkeys far behind.

“Stop, stop,” had puffed Tarquin, seeing Tina getting farther away from him.

Tina turned to look back, stopped and started laughing.

“What’yer laughing at? I just needed to catch my second wind.”

“I’m not laughing at you, Tarq. Take a look behind you.”

Tarquin turned and started laughing too, in between breathing heavily.

In front of them they could see thousands of turkeys running in every direction, with The Farmer’s Wife and the rest of the farm staff running around like, well, just like headless ... chickens.

“Come on Tarq, you were the one who wanted to get away, let’s keep going while we can.”

On The Run

Soon they left the hubbub behind and they found that the country lane leading away from the farm was quite quiet. It was soon starting to get dark. Not only had they had never been out of the barn at night before, they had, in fact, never been out of that barn, ever. The sky above and around them just looked enormous. Tina was a little frightened and walked closer to her mate.

“I’m hungry and thirsty,” Tarquin said, “I haven’t eaten for hours.”

“Forty-five minutes, Tarq, that’s all we’ve walked and you were eating pellets almost up to the very moment we charged out the barn door.”

“Still hungry,” he muttered sullenly.

“Hey you guys, where ya goin’?” came a voice from nowhere.

“Who’s there?” asked Tina.

“Me,” came a voice from over a dry stone wall.

Tarquin peered over the wall. There was a tiny lamb standing next to a sitting calf. The lamb was bright and alert, bouncing about excitedly, while the calf relaxed with her head down lazily munching some grass, growing tall in the damp shelter of the wall.

“Hi little fellow,” Tarquin addressed the lamb, “how —”

“I’m no fellow, I’m a girl lamb,” the lamb said, “me name’s Lola, and this is Kelly Calf. We two got left behind.”

“Behind?”

“Yeah,” said the calf, looking up, “when the trucks came to take us away, we both got left behind.”

“Where were the trucks going?” asked Tina, “Oh, I’m Tina, by the way, and this big lunk here’s Tarquin. We left The Farmer’s Wife behind and struck out for freedom.”

“Yeah, she’s nasty.” Kelly said, “although she looks better without the moustache.”

“I noticed that,” Tina smiled, “I was curious but none of my girlfriends knew the reason why it was there and suddenly went away.”

“Movember, whatever that is,” said Kelly. “Anyhow, don’t know where the trucks were going, but they left me behind ‘cause the field was full of boy calves and I was put in here by mistake at the outset.”

“Er, is it going to rain?” asked Tarquin not paying attention to the rest of the talk.

“Why?” Kelly asked in return.

“Because you’re lying down, and it looks to me like a clear afternoon and evening.”

“I’m lying down because I’m tired, no because of any rain.”

“Oh. Could do with a sit down myself, been on my feet all day, but I’m too hungry to sit. Where’s the nearest pellet dispenser?”

“You’ve got a shock coming,” Tina laughed, “no free food out in the wild, you’ll have to learn foraging.”

“What’s ‘4 edging’? Is that another name for four square meals a day? If it is, I tell you, I’m all for it!”

“No, dummy!” Tina replied, “it means you have to hunt around, find edible berries and seeds, grass, leaves and stuff.”

“Pah! You know I hate salads!” Tarquin spat. He turned to the others, “I’m purely a pellet person.”

“There’s some pellets in a trough in my field,” Lola said brightly, “The Farmer calls ‘em ‘nuts’, though. They taste awful, I use ‘em to practice counting, but you’re welcome to eat —”

“Where’s your field, Lola? Right now I could murder a beakful or two of tasty pellets.”

“The sheep field is the next one up. Ya won’t fit through me gap in the fence, as it is only a small way through the bushes, but with that beak ya should be able to open the outside gate. I’ll show ya.”

The lamb scampered off towards the fence separating the fields and Tarquin and Tina trotted up the lane until they reached the next gap in the dry stone wall, which had a five-bar gate across it. The two turkeys stood in front of the gate, Tina looked the gate over carefully, while Tarquin scratched under his wing with his beak.

“Well, what do we do now, Teen? At the barn we had The Farmer’s Wife to open the door for us.”

“Look, Tarq, at the top of the post, that square piece of metal, see it?” she pointed with her wing. He nodded. use your beak to lever it up and I’ll push the gate once it’s clear of the post.”

Tarquin pushed the latch with his beak, taking the strain of the weight while Tina pushed the gate clear and it swung open. Tarquin released the latch, which fell with a ‘clank!’

Just then Lola gambolled across her field towards them.

“Wow! You guys are really good. I’ll show ya where the pellets are an’ maybe, you can help me find the rest of me flock.”

“How did you get left behind?” Tina asked.

“I’m too embarrassed to say.”

“Oh, come on, we’re all friends here.”

“OK. I am a counter,” Lola said, “It is what I do. I love to count. I add up everythink. I learned to count up to three from me mother, but she can’t count for toffee. But then I pushed the numbers up from there. We are three: one Tina, two Tarquin, an’ three me. An’ with Kelly in her field, that’s four!”

“Very good, Lola,” Tarquin, who couldn’t count for toffee either, admitted, “I can’t count for anything.” He didn’t even know what toffee was.

“Well, the shepherd an’ his two sons turned up in a gurt big lorry, five days ago, see I can count to five, too.”

Tarquin groaned, ‘To five too?’ His head hurt at the very thought of numbers, but Tina took his mind off his head when she kicked him in the ribs.

“Don’t mind him Lola, you carry on sweetheart.” Tina encouraged.

“Well, the big gruff shepherd lowered the ramp at the back of the lorry an’ one of his sons came to open this gate, with barriers down each side, an’ counted the sheep as they climbed on board. I loved this game an’ I counted them sheep on as well: one, two, three, four ... Next thing I know I wake up an’ the shepherd’s son is snoring, flopped over this gate, an’ his brother is standing next to him counting. So I start counting from one again. It starts to rain, so I shelter over by the wall, down here,” she pointed, “where I could still see the sheep follow one another. Perhaps they couldn’t see little me. Next thing I know, I wake up by the wall, it’s stopped raining an’ everyone’s gone.”

Lola started crying and Tina put a comforting wing around her.

“They left me an’ they’re never ever comin’ back!” she wailed, while Tina clucked sympathetically.

Tarquin kicked at the dry mud ridges of wheel ruts in the gateway, as his stomach rumbled, which overwhelmed his sympathy for the little lamb.

“Where did you say those food pellets are, Lola?”

Tina glared at the big lunk. Tina still had her wing wrapped around the tiny lamb.

“I am never going to see them again,” Lola sniffed.

“There, there, sweetheart,” Tina soothed, “what makes you think that?”

“Me Mum told me, that all me brothers an’ sisters were taken away from her when they were my size, an’ none of ‘em never ever came back,” Lola wailed.

Tina clucked not sure what to say, while Tarquin looked around, muttering to himself about ‘pellets for tea-time, because eating too late in the day keeps me awake at night’. Tina was still holding Lola otherwise she would have kicked him in the ribs again.

“It keeps on happenin’,” Lola sobbed, “the lambs an’ mothers are separated as soon as we switch from milk to grass an’ pellets. Again an’ again, she told me. Me Mum was taken from her Mum an’ put on a truck an’ was brought to this farm. She could only count to three and told me she’d had more than three lambs, one at a time. I listened to her describe each one of them in turn. I remembered them all an’, as I learned to count, I recalled what she said an’ I counted up to six. I am her seventh lamb.”

“Seven’s lucky,” Tarquin offered, only really half listening, concerned it was getting dark and he had never dined in the dark before. His big belly let out another rumble as deep as thunder.

“Sorry,” he said and thought sheepishly, without realising the irony of his thought.

“Come on, big fella,” Lola laughed, suddenly jerked from her sadness, “let’s get ya to the food an’ drink before it gets too dark to find it. There’s shelter too, in case it rains tonight.”

“Well, lead the way, Lola,” Tina laughed, “the big guy gets scratchy when he’s hungry.”

Five minutes later Tarquin exclaimed, “Bah, bah! Eugh! These pellets taste like ... well, like you smell, Lola. No offence sweetheart, but it’s not what I’m used to.”

“Sorry, Mr Tarq, but that’s all we have, an’ they only brought that out when the grass stopped growin’.” She dropped her voice to a whisper, “I used to look through me gap in the hedge when the tractor dropped food called ‘silage’ in Kelly’s field. I used to count how many loads they dropped off. Oh boy, Kelly loves it but that stuff smells horrid!”

It was raining hard now in Lola’s field but the two turkeys and lamb were under a corrugated roof which had been designed to keep the sheep pellets dry. Only when the odd gust of wind blew the rain in underneath did they get wet. It was noisy when it rained on that roof and sleep did not come easy until suddenly the rain stopped. If anything, though, it then got colder.

“Brrr! It’s chilly!” Tina shivered as she cuddled up to her big feathered friend on one side, with woolly Lola on the other. “It was warmer when we were in the barn, but then we would have missed out on all this adventure.”

“Yeah,” agreed Tarq, “but let’s get some sleep now, huh? I’m bushed.”

It was sunny but cold the next morning when they woke. Once one of them woke up, they were all awake.

“At least the clouds kept the frost at bay,” Lola observed, looking around her familiar surroundings.

“What’s ‘frost’, Lola, can we eat it for breakfast?” Tarquin asked hopefully, dreaming of a bay full of pellets, as he stretched his wings and legs, then ruffled his feathers.

“No!” Lola laughed, “it’s when the water droplets on all the trees and on the grass goes as white as my woolly coat and freezes. It was so cold one morning three days ago that the top of the water in the trough also turned to ice.”

“What’s ice?” asked Tina.

“It’s when the water gets so cold it turns into a solid and you can’t drink it. You can lick it though, but you have to be careful. First time I tried it my tongue stuck and I counted up to 20 before my warm breath melted the ice and released me.”

Tarquin almost asked what ‘20’ was, but stopped himself in time. He glanced at Tina furtively. Yeah, he thought so, she was looking at him with that quizzical look on her beak again. Only Tina, in Tarquin’s experience, could take on that look.

“So, do you know where you two are goin’, this mornin’?” Lola asked.

Tarquin shuffled his feet while thinking. Not about the question. No, not one little thought about where he was going. He was thinking about the fact that he’d eaten some of the sheep food pellets last night and quite a lot more this morning for an early breakfast, even though they were not particularly to his liking. He had been hungry, but now he had eaten them he felt bloated, very bloated indeed.

Tina spoke up for him to fill the silence.

“Not really Lola. Tarq here never thought our escape through. We were crowded in that barn and Tarq likes a bit of scratching room. We left more on a whim than anything else. For me, it was just getting so crushed and as for the smell in there, well —”

That did it, Tarquin couldn’t hold it in any longer.

He passed wind, and oh boy did he pass wind with a vengeance. It was loud, starting with a thunderclap, then it rumbled on like thunder, rising in pitch to a crescendo, before ending in a decelerating series of increasingly wet-sounding puh-puh-puh blips. Tarquin’s feathered face looked a picture of mixed emotions, relief, embarrassment and pride, in a firm understanding that this was probably his best gas release projection of his or anyone in the history of bronze turkeys, like for ever.

“12 seconds!” Lola laughed, jumping about on her woolly legs in joy, “I counted. That’s the longest one I’ve ever heard!”

“One of my best,” Tarquin admitted, puffing himself up, in spite of his recent explosive deflation, and polishing the claws of one foot on his chest feathers.

“Stick around, Lola,” Tina said resignedly, rolling her eyes skywards, “I have to put up with that kind of thing every morning, in fact from time to time at irregular intervals for the majority of every day.”

“I can put up with that!” grinned Lola. “Well, if we’re goin’ to get away from The Farmer an’ his Wife, we’re goin’ to have to carry on down the lane quite aways an’ quickly before they get up this morning an’ start searchin’ for us.”

“Well, I’m more than ready to get away from here,” Tina agreed, still waving her wings about to dispel the ‘fowl’ air, “and going down the lane is at least heading upwind.”

“First, we need to collect Kelly from the last field. She needs our company to cheer her up. She’s only just gettin’ round to acceptin’ that her cousins won’t be back. Then we can pass the pigs as we go down the lane. My friend Paul the pig would love to meet you two.”

“Paul the pig?” asked Tarquin.

“Yeah, we talk through the fence all the time, an’ he’s been wantin’ to go on an adventure ever since I’ve known him.”

“OK.” Tina agreed reluctantly, “that would make us a herd.”

“Yeah, a herd of five,” said Lola with a smile, she never ever tired of counting.

“A hungry herd,” said Tarquin, who never ever tired of being hungry, “does Paul, by any chance, have any pig pellets?”

“More than you, I or they can count, Tarq, you can depend upon it.”

They walked down to the gate they came in through. Try as they might, though, they couldn’t open it.

“Gates sure is tricky things,” said Tarquin, as he admitted defeat.

Tina looked closely at the gate while Lola jumped up and down in frustration.

“When we opened it last night,” Tina spoke her thoughts aloud, “Tarq held up the latch while I pushed and the gate opened inwards. The gate opened then, but it won¡t open outwards and pulling is impossible, the wooden parts of the gate are too thick to grip with our beaks.”

“What are we going to do?” Tarquin asked.

“Well I better run up along the wall and speak to Kelly,” Lola said, “she’s probably worried what’s delayin’ us, she’ll fear the worse. At least it’s stopped rainin’. You wanna come with me Tina? I think you’re thin enough to get through.”

“Sure, not much I can do here. See you later, sweetheart. You may have to get used to eating those sheep pellets if we’re stuck in this field.”

“No, never, they give me the wind, even more than usual. I’ll stay here until you get back though.”

Lola and Tina strolled off towards the cow field, neither were in any hurry.

Tarquin sat by the shelter of the wall, where the grass seemed drier than the rest of the field, it must have rained all night until just before dawn. Then he thought he heard sniffing. He peered around the gate pillar. It was a dog, a big black dog, one attached to a long green cord. The dog, s long snout poked through the gate.

“Hello,” said the dog in a deep throaty voice, “who’you?”

“Tarquin, my friends call me Tarq. And you are?”

“Adam. Not seen nuffink like you before. You’re like a chicken but, man you’re a big’un!”

“I’m a turkey, I escaped, or rather I am trying to escape from The Farmer. Got out of the barn easy enough but now I’m stuck in this field. I can’t open this gate from the inside.”

“Why didn’t you say you were getting away from The Farmer? My partner, Dave, the man at the end of this lead, works for The Farmer and hates him. I growl every time I see him and his wife. I can see by Dave’s expression that it helps. So, I wanna help, but I gotta be quick, you know, Dave might not understand. He’s stopped walking, to roll a smoke stick. He does that all the time. So, how did you get in this field?”

“I held up the latch and my partner, Tina, pushed against the gate from your side. Trouble is, we can’t pull it open, we can only push.”

“Maybe not from where you are but I can push. Is the latch lifted?”

“No but I can lift it while you push. But won’t Dave notice the gate’s open and look in?”

“Nah, I’ll just bury my nose in the front of his trousers, that’ll take his attention off the gate. Works every time.”

Within seconds the gate swung open and Tarquin kicked a stone against it, which looked like it had been left there for the purpose. The field looked empty once Tarquin ducked down behind the wall.

“Thanks Adam, how can I ever repay you?”

“You could let me sniff your butt.”

“What? Why?”

“Hey, I dunno why, I just do it, OK?”

“O ... Kay.”

“Oh man, that’s awful! I never smelled nothin’ so bad!”

“It’s those sheep pellets, they give me the wind. Sorry.”

“I used ta dream about chasin’ sheep but not no more. There’s some weasel wee a couple of fields up the lane, I can just catch a hint of it on the breeze.”

“Oh, you like sniffing weasel wee?”

“Nah it’s horrid, but I need anything to take the smell of your butt out of my nose! See you around, Tarq, good luck with your getaway.”

“Thanks, Adam, bye.”

Tarquin ducked behind the wall as he heard Dave’s boots crunch on the roadway and didn’t relax until the footsteps and the slight smell of burning faded.

“Wow, sweetheart, you clever thing you!” said Tina when she returned, “You managed to get the gate open. How?”

“Well, I could lie and say it was all my inginu-, enginu-, er. all my own doing, but I had help.”

“Help? Where? Who?” Tina asked, peering up and down the empty lane.

“You could say,” Tarquin grinned, “that it was all down to Lola’s pellets.”

Letting the sheep and calf out of Kelly’s field was child’s play for the Tarquin and Tina gate-cracking team.

It was while the little herd of two turkeys, a lamb and a calf were walking down the lane, that Tarquin leaned in close to Tina.

“Psst! Tina!” Tarquin said in a whisper out of the side of his beak.

“What?” she hissed back a little louder.

“Do you get the feeling we are being watched?”

“Now you come to mention it, yes, all the way back up the lane to collect Kelly, and back again past Lola’s field.” she agreed, “who do you think it is?”

“Don’t know, but we’ve been trying to stay under cover and just making a dash for it where there’s open ground, plain wall or fences. We need to keep a good lookout for The Farmer.”

“And our ears, Tarq. Three trucks came through and we heard them and dived for cover well before we saw them.”

Lola bounced up to them, “It’s Carpenters’ Cat,” he whispered to Tina and Tarquin, who looked mystified. “The eyes what have been followin’ us, they belong to Carpenters’ Cat.”

“So who’s Carpenters’ Cat?” Tina asked, “Does it have a name?”

“Not that I know of, but she’s a ‘she’ not an ‘it’, and she’s both the shyest an’ nosiest creature in the area. We are a novelty, two turkeys, a lamb and a calf, a curiosity, it’s like catnip to Carpenters’ Cat.”

“So, if this cat is so shy how do you know so much about her?” Tina asked.

“At the back of my field, there is a small pasture with two horses in it. The Carpenters have a smallholdin’ an’ rent that field from The Farmer, to keep their horses in it, for their two daughters to ride. The horses, ponies, really, are quite chatty an’ know the Carpenters’ Cat well.”

They carried on walking and they came to another gate on their right. Lola ran ahead and stopped by the gate.

“This is where my friend Paul the pig lives. He often comes comes over to my fence for a chat. The pigs have a fence at the top end which borders onto the Carpenters’ fields, where they are currently growing Brussels sprouts for Christmas.”

“What’s Christmas?” asked Tarquin.

“It is when all the farm workers have the day off, they talked about it all the time in the barn,” Tina added.

“An’ I know when it is,” Lola said, “I heard the shepherd’s sons talkin’ about it six days ago now.”

“When is it?” Kelly asked this time, the first time she had spoken since the group left her field.

“The day after tomorrow is what they call Christmas Day,” Lola said in triumph.

“So they won’t be looking for us on that day?”

“No, I don’t think they will. So we only have to be careful today an’ tomorrow and then we’ll have a full day free to get well away from the farm. Now, if you can use your gate op’nin’ skills, we can go see my friend Paul.”

Between them, Tarquin and Tina opened the gate to the pig field and, as soon as it started to swing open, Lola was inside and running up the field to see her friend. Tarquin kicked a rock up to the gate to stop it fully closing.

Kelly spoke up then, “I’ll stay in the lane, Tina, and hide behind the hedge over there and I can push the gate open when you are ready to come out. That way, you won’t attract attention by leaving the gate wide open.”

“Good idea, Kelly,” beamed Tina, “thank you.”

Tarquin kicked the rock out of the way and closed the gate, nodding to Kelly. The calf nodded back and strolled across the lane to hide. Tarquin and Tina made their way up the sloping field towards where Lola had run to greet her friends, the pigs.

“I didn’t like to say anything yesterday, Tina, but while you were still finding a hiding place at the back of that little copse, I checked out the big trucks that came by and each one was full of our friends. They’ve all gone from the barn, Tina.”

“I didn’t see them Tarq, but there is a pattern emerging here, the calves, the lambs, and we are about to meet the pigs. I mean I’ve known you since we hatched together, we have grown up until we were packed solid in that barn. When we get big, or at least a certain size, I think we just disappear.”

“Yeah, I thought so too. That’s why we’ve got to get away from this farm. Trouble is, I don’t know we’ll find anywhere safe, we might be on the run for a long time.”

“If so, then that’s what we’ll do.”

Lola soon introduced her new friends by name to Paul. He was a young pig, leaner and younger than all the others, most of them females or sows, as Paul introduced them. All the pigs wanted to stay at the farm, but Paul was keen to strike out on his own.

“Yes, I’ve seen the Carpenters’ Cat, but she doesn’t talk to me either,” said Paul after being asked about the animal observing them, “right, are we ready to be off then?”

“Yeah,” Tarquin said, speaking for the other two, “the sooner the better, before we are discovered and captured.”

“Do you know where you’re headed?”

Tarquin scratched himself, he always did when he wasn’t sure what to say, and he looked to Tina for inspiration as usual.

“At the moment,” Tina said, “we just want to get away from The Farmer and his Wife, but other than that ... What do you have in mind?”

“Well, we’ll get down the lane for a bit first, then I’ll let you into what I’m thinking. I want to get to know you first.”

“That makes sense,” Tarquin agreed, “we’ll chat as we walk.”

Just at that moment they could hear a vehicle on the lane.

“Quick,” Paul said, “you dive under this corrugated shelter, Tina, you’ll just fit. Tarquin, you’re too big to fit. Now, if you lie down on the ground, we’ll surround you.”

 
There is more of this story...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.