Forgive? - Cover

Forgive?

Copyright© 2019 by Barry James

Chapter 5: 6 Months of the Condoms

Beth started her new role on the first of the year. She was bubbling with excitement now that she could do one of two jobs she always wanted. The other job, of course, was the role of motherhood and plans were in place to make that happen soon.

I didn’t think it was possible, but the frequency of our intimacy was even greater than it had been. Neither of us liked the condoms very much, but we knew it was a temporary shield to be sure the timing was right when we were ready for our family to grow.

March was a beautiful month. During the first week, we took possession of our new home that my family and I built. Beth and I christened the shower before a single piece of furniture arrived. There would be a lot of fun in this wild, wet, and wonderful space. We spent the month painting and decorating before filling the house with some old furniture, lots of new pieces, and all of our stuff.

The other event in March was the birth of our first nephew, Paul Junior. My brother, Paul, and Melody, Beth’s sister and Paul’s wife, welcomed the 8-pound 4-ounce bundle of joy on the 15th. Beth was there for the delivery and managed to be the first to hold him.

I came to the hospital after work and walked into the room without Beth noticing me as she held the newborn. The sight captured my heart and brought tears to my eyes as a misty-eyed Beth looked up at me—her face shining with visions of what we could expect in the future.

“Hi, Sweetie,” she whispered with a loving glow.

“Baby, you look like you’re enjoying holding little Paul too much. Are you giving him back to his mommy?” My tears communicated my thoughts. I couldn’t wait for this scene with my own children.

“Oh, Nate. I can’t wait to hold our first little one. A few more months, and we need to get to work.”

“As much as I like the practice, we’re almost ready for the real thing.”

Paul and Melody asked us to be Godparents and we eagerly agreed. The dedication service a month later was a major celebration for both families, and Beth and I had to respond to the same comment it seems hundreds of times—”You two are next.” Our answer was always the same—”It won’t be too much longer.”

Our schedules were getting very crowded in May. Freed & Sons had a large new project starting, and Beth was gearing up for the trade show season. In June she had travel planned 2 weeks in a row for 2 major water treatment shows. That was our milestone. When she returned, no more condoms—it was ‘baby-making’ time. But even with full schedules, our ‘baby-making’ practice remained hot, heavy, and often. We were up to two or more times a day.

It’s hard to explain how much we loved each other. Most people don’t have a spouse that was their lifemate from the time they were toddlers. I knew marriage was the binding of two into one, but Beth and I grew up that way. Have you ever seen two trees planted so close together that they became one as they grew? That was as close to an accurate description as I could find. Every time I saw her my heart fluttered and my emotions soared. When she saw me, her face lit up as if midnight turned to noon-day brightness.

At work one day I needed a small mental break and, as was my habit, I stopped working and let my thoughts drift to Beth. If she wasn’t with me, I missed her. I occasionally stopped at the local bar for an hour or so after work with friends, but I didn’t need or want a night out with the boys. I did a men’s hiking weekend once but was miserable the whole time. I kept thinking of things I’d rather do with Beth. The guys told me I was pathetic, but most admitted they envied what Beth and I had.

As my thoughts continued to dwell on Beth, a sudden realization hit me. Not once since the incident in fifth grade have we had a fight. Sure, we had some minor disagreements about small decisions, but they ended quickly—usually with her being right or winning the decision. I was okay with that. Her happiness was my highest priority.

I thought it was funny that we actually discussed ground-rules for major disagreements even though we never needed them. The rules were simple—never go to bed angry, and never leave the house until everything was resolved. My thoughts stayed focused on how fortunate we were, but then a shiver of fear shot up my spine. ‘What would happen if we did have a fight? Beth was the only one who could calm my temper. What if she, somehow, was the cause?’ I couldn’t envision such a scenario, and yet I suddenly feared it.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.