Erica Olafson, Rise of the Dark One (Vol 10) - Cover

Erica Olafson, Rise of the Dark One (Vol 10)

Copyright© 2019 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Chapter 10: Big Boomz

The Lieutenant welcoming the two newcomers to Z-point station was a Blue, not much taller than a Golden, bald and with healthy bluish skin. He was guiding Linsey and Trecheir into a wide-open concourse with gleaming floors, islands of grass and trees. There was an Arthur’s, a Silverhawk’s emporium and other well known Union-wide known stores. It wasn’t as busy as Stepping Stone for sure, but it was far from deserted. Almost everyone they saw wore the uniform of a Union military branch. Very few Army, but more Space Force than they ever saw before.

The Lieutenant introduced himself. “I am Lieutenant Jeremy Samm and I am with the station’s admin team. As I said, I am sorry to get you two, fresh as can be from specialist school, and ask you to go on duty right away.”

Linsey shrugged. “No worries, Sir. This what I signed up for. I am going to be here for a while anyway, but to be honest I have no idea where we are exactly. I mean why there is a station so far from anything.”

The Leedei agreed. “I am glad you think we can help, did you say there is a genuine Tele-Listener on this base?”

The Blue nodded. “We must upgrade your security clearance before I can get into details, but yes there is a Leedei Psi Scope.”

To Linsey he said. “Z-Point and Z-point minus stations started as a Union Research and observation station 1,000,000 Light Years above the bulge of the M-0 Galaxy. It occupies a position called the apex Z point.”

While the Lieutenant spoke they reached a set of robot and marine guarded doors. The sign above reading. “Authorized personnel only, MITI and Psi-Scan.”

A Commander came through the doors. A Delicate from the looks of it. This one had a pastel green complexion that matched her long soft green hair. Both starman first-class snapped into attention, but the Commander motioned them to be at ease and addressed the Leedei right away. “You are Mr.Trecheir?”

“Yes, Ma’am, I am.”

“Are you familiar with Leedei Psi-Tech?”

“Yes, Ma’am. I have been certified at LETEC before I joined the Fleet.”

“Perfect, let me get your clearance sorted out right away. Please follow me.”

“Yes, Ma’am.”

To Linsey she said. “You are dismissed until your regular shift starts.”

The Leedei said. “Ma’am, my new friend is a very talented Sensor specialist with a keen understanding of PSI tech. We talked a lot during our twenty-hour trip.”

She smiled. “Alright, Starman. I like people who speak their mind, and I love when it is done for a friend. Still, I can only process one at a time. So Mr.Alexander wait here with the Lieutenant. While I get your outspoken friend processed.”

She and the Leedei went past the security checkpoint and disappeared behind the closing door.

The Blue motioned to a vari-form seat group. “While time is of the essence, I know the Clearance process takes a while. So while we wait let me educate you about Z-Point station.”

Linsey nodded and sat down.

Lt.Samm continued where he left off. “This base was originally placed and installed by the Spiral Eye Mission. It was an automated station with telescopes and other scanning and observation equipment. It was placed there to have a complete real picture of the Galaxy and for a detailed optical survey and mapping of the M-0 Galaxy. As well as for optical astronomy of the observable universe.

Our station is connected to Science Corps and the Astrographic Institute via a GalNet buoy chain. We added GalCom for military communication as well.

The station was expanded and made into a manned science outpost in 3000. As part of Project Providence, Hyperjump sensors were installed in an attempt to identify and map Hyperspace traffic activity in the M-0 Galaxy. Especially in regions, we have no presence at all.

In 3000 several automated long-range station module elements, several robotic freighters and a complement of volunteer engineers and station crew left for Z Point station and expanded the station as planned in 3075.

In design and layout, it is standard Gigamon and was assembled at location. The new occupied Z Point Station became fully operational in 3077. Simultaneous Z Minus Station was established as it is part of the Providence Project.

The station was only marginally armed and had standard shields, but in 3120 the decision was made to militarize the station with better shields.

We became strategically tremendously important during the Y’All invasion of 3572 as the base was able to detect the Invasion fleet and sent information on Y’All movement.

The Supply stream was interrupted during the 4th Intergalactic War and the station crew had to go into suspended animation for almost 50 years before a relief convoy could be sent. Z Minus was still unoccupied and a fully automated station at that time.

Critics at the Assembly objected to the resources spent to keep Z Point Station occupied and argued it could do its job automated, but the Science Council made the case for an occupied station saying that the science of discovery was not always predictable, that astronomical observation was not only mechanical scanning but based active intelligent decisions, only sentient beings could make.

During the Peace Hawk period, the president of the Union ordered the Z Point station to sent all its scientific data to anyone wanting it, arguing that the galaxy was for everyone and it would be a sign of goodwill and steps towards peace if the Kermac would be allowed to access the traffic data and detailed maps.

In 4800 the Z Point Station was again focus of a new Mission Project and the Union Science Council Department for the advancement and development of Union Technology in conjunction with SII Communications begun the research and development project “Galaxy Voice”.

The goal of this project was to built the most powerful long-range GalNet master repeater that in conjunction with Z Minus Station could provide GalNet services to the entire M-0 Galaxy and several of its satellites, greatly reducing or eventually eliminating the need for repeater buoys within the M-0 Galaxy and due to the distant and secure location provide uninterruptible GalNet Com service and allow Fleet communication even in regions previously not serviced by GalNet. However that project had several setbacks due to the limitations of technology and the physical limitations of the existing GalNet technology, but very recently SII shared its technology secrets with Wurgus and Leedei engineers and the project is again in development. Very recently we added Leedei PSI tech.”

Even after this long explanation, they still had to wait.

About two hours later however Starman Alexander had gone through a very detailed clearance process and was proud beyond compare as he was cleared for BLUE-BLUE-BLUE.

He found his new friend before a control panel configured in a complicated layout. Trecheir was just speaking to the Delicate Commander. “Ma’am the Tele Listener is working fine. I can only confirm, the device detected a Psion source that exceeds the million mark on the HPI. That is equal to all Saresii or all Leedei combined.”

--””--

Admiral McElligott just received a highly classified report from Z-Point station, and while he was far from an expert in such matters, a verified psion controlling source that exceeded the power of the Saresii and the Leedei and was far beyond the Delicates or any other psi gifted society.

There was no comparison to the Narth, as there was no data.

He called his assistant, a Commodore who replaced Haraka, by the name of Schneider stepped in. “Sir?”

“Have the Wisemen returned to the Assembly?”

The lean senior officer, who had been only recently added to Fleet Command and took over the role of Haraka had already proven his worth. He was always well informed about pretty much everything.

“No sir, the trio has not returned, but their alcoves are not deserted.”

“There is a new Narth rep?”

“Yes, Sir.”

“Please make an appointment with that representative, and stress great urgency,”

“At once, Sir.”

McElligott watched the man leave and was reminded of a time long before the ascent. He remembered a German Hauptmann of the pre-Astro German Bundeswehr who was just like Wolfgang Schneider. No one in the entire fleet had a more organized desk that was certain.

“NELSON, connect me to Stahl. There is something brewing in that unexplored region of our galaxy and I have a feeling it isn’t good.”

“I am unable to do so, Sir. Admiral Stahl has taken a leave of absence and was last seen leaving his office at Arsenal IV with a Narth.”

“Son of a bitch.” McElligott cursed and was certain that the report he was holding in his hand and Stahl’s sudden leave were connected. “NELSON, did he leave an emergency contact? Have you tried his Wrist Com?”

“This system has exhausted all contact options and was unable to make the connection.”

“Call his wife.”

“General Lichfangh can not be reached at this point.”

“Why are they keeping me out of the loop? There is something big going on and it seems they know about it. I bet my best pipe they know!”

He drummed his fingers against the surface of his desk. “NELSON go to RED-RED-RED and get me Director Cherubim on the horn.”

“Director Cherubim is responding, here is your requested contact.”

The mysterious leader of TSI and ANA, who has been picked by him as the Commanding officer for the X-Fleet came on and said. “I expected your call, Old Highlander. I just received a signal report from Z-Point station. I am certain you did as well.”

“Yes, I did!” He did not hide his concern. “You know that our Righteous Super warrior took a leave of absence, with a Narth at the very same moment?”

“Yes, I heard about that. And my sources tell me it was not just any Narth, but the Narth Supreme himself. Apparently, that psionic spike concerned the Narth and went to Stahl.”

“And not coming to me first? What’s he going to do without his big tub? He hasn’t taken command over anything and I know he does not have a private spacecraft.”

Cherubim shrugged. “Don’t underestimate the Eternal Warrior, he has very powerful friends who will do anything for him. Including Mothermachine and the Klack Queen, not to mention the Narth. You do know who else I suspect to be in that exact region?”

McElligott looked at a projection of the M-0 galaxy with a red dot indicating that powerful psi source and NELSON anticipated what McElligott wanted to see and superimposed the last known position of the USS Tigershark and indicated a few possible course plots. All of them very close to that red dot.

McElligott facepalmed with a deep sigh. “Captain Olafson and her crew, God help us. She might just picked a fight with something too big for perhaps all of us.”

Cherubim’s real face as always hidden behind a mask laughed. “She found and eliminated the Y’All, besides she might not be anywhere near that.”

“Really? Erica in that region and now this, I never touch a drop of scotch if she isn’t involved.”

“I have a feeling, you don’t have to give up on your favorite liquor.”

--””--

The Yellow Robes had freely opened their stronghold, and the Yellow Wizard himself led the Lord of Light and Uritel to the chamber the woman they were after had occupied. There was ample evidence that it was indeed the chambers of the woman that held the secret to the WEAPONs whereabouts. There were no female Yellow Robes, Urtiel knew. The chamber were clearly lived in by a female for quite a while. There were female garments and the sort of knickknacks and decoration women liked to surround themselves.

Lumis could not keep his anger contained as he saw the wide-open window and the billowing curtains, animated by cold mountain wind. He groaned as if in pain and rushed to the window. He conjured a bright beam of light issued from his hand and like a powerful searchlight painted over the deep chasm created by sheer rock extending the stronghold walls to a valley at least five hundred meters below. He also noticed the narrow ledge. Lumis turned and drew his sword, brandishing it against the Yellow Wizard. “You doomed fool! You warned her of my coming. Can she fly?”

“By mutually agreed consent, we must accommodate seekers, but your conduct makes you a trespasser. You must leave now.”

Lumis did not notice Uritel leaving the room as he smashed a table with his sword. “I care not what agreements you made with insignificant others. I am Lord Lumis and I will slay that fiend of light. Now, where is she? I need that WEAPON.”

“Your Crea was part of that agreement. The Voice of the Rule gave us the auspice over these conditions. These conditions that bind entities to the laws of this realm apply to you as well, now leave.”

Lumis was angry that he once again was denied to gain what was his. “I am the champion of light, I will not be denied.”

Two Yellow robes moved like living shadows, making no noise, before the Yellow Wizard; both men held drawn swords as well.

Lumis in his anger lashed out and his sword met the blade of the left with a bright metallic tone and shattered the Yellow Robes blade. Simultaneous the right one attacked and to Lumis surprise cut into his armor and the sudden pain of a cut flashed through his body.

Lumis yelled in pain and then hissed. “Uritel draw your weapon and stand by your lord.” He looked over his shoulder, only to find out that his companion was no longer in the room. He also began to understand the warning of the Yellow Wizard. These conditions the Yellow Wizard spoke about, made him vulnerable too.”

The leader of the Yellow Robes spoke. “This is your last warning, leave now or be thrown out this window and we see if you can fly.”

“Where did she go?”

“We don’t know. She left our stronghold.”

Making boisterous threats, Lumis did leave the stronghold. He was supposedly impervious to harm, but he was cut. Both his armor and his skin had healed almost right away, but he began to understand that this condition the Yellow Wizard spoke about affected him as well. His ego had prevented him to realize that his newfound confidence in defeating that powerful enemy, was also affecting him.

--””--

Har-Hi checked his weapons and said. “Same plan as always, play it by ear I presume?”

I shrugged with a sigh. “This time we have no choice, that thing holding us is no joke and if Narth thinks we are against something of Narth Supreme level, it can destroy us with ease. So all we can do is swim into the Tyranno Fin’s lair and gather as much information about that thing.”

I put my hand on Roghor’s shoulder and looked up into his magnificent face. “Commander, you are in charge of the ship. I have no idea what awaits us, but we can not refuse. We are held by a really powerful entity that has the power to destroy us. I will try to get us out of this somehow; if we fail that thing might follow through and destroy the ship, but if at any point you find the ship can move, you are to high tail it as fast as you can to Camogi System and warn Fleet command.”

The former Togar commander had a non-human-cat face, but I began to see and understand his emotions. He growled a deep-throated sound. “Understood, Captain.”

“SHIP, you heard right?”

“Yes, Captain.”

The alien transport attached itself to the side of the Tigershark. Circuit stood by the airlock controls. “Are you sure about that?”

“No, I am not, I am open to alternatives.”

My Centmac friend made his shoulders sink in a very human gesture. “No, but I could come along.”

“You are immune to that thing. I need you here, see if you can’t boost our shields especially regarding Psions. Not that I really know what I am talking about.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.