Erica Olafson, Rise of the Dark One (Vol 10) - Cover

Erica Olafson, Rise of the Dark One (Vol 10)

Copyright© 2019 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Chapter 9: Psionics

More than two-thirds of First Fleet, including the Devi, was far away. In another galaxy for a matter of fact. Captain Harris was leading that mission into the Leo II galaxy. To make sure the Crucible was indeed completely destroyed and that there weren’t any other sources of Y’All warriors. The other reason for the trip was to reinforce the recently established GateHouse and make sure everyone in the vicinity knew, that the Union took control over the Ancient Gate.

A significant number of science corps researchers had descended on the Gate Control world.

This was Captain Harris’s official last mission after it the highly respected CO of the Devi was to take command over the Lyrec battleship refit project and enjoy his recent promotion behind a desk at Arsenal IV.

Stahl knew this was a bittersweet moment for any real commanding officer. Being promoted and losing the command of a starship. In this case the most famous ship of them all, so he decided to leave Harris in command on his own,

The rest of the First Fleet made sure the Or-Ghe understood that it was not a good idea to start a war against the Union. The 100th and the 101st fleet had joined this effort. Admiral David M Nielson, aka “Bulldog-Nielsen” was in charge of that and didn’t need any help.

That meant, Stahl was not aboard a ship but stuck behind his desk at Arsenal IV where he, among many other things oversaw the completion of the Dominator’s refit.

He had taken her out, to meet a potential Y’All attack but she wasn’t far from ready.

The Supergiant had been transferred to Ross Torus, where a special docking facility had been created. It was decided to limit the Dominator’s planetfall as much as possible. Most ports weren’t simply big enough.

While there was many hundred lightyears distance between Ross 128 and Arsenal system, thanks to GalCom it meant little.

The eternal warrior interfered very little, the engineers knew what they were doing and didn’t need an admiral breathing down their necks.

Oh, there was always plenty to do, but in 3000 years he never learned to like administrative work.

That his wife never really used doors, despite her promise to do so, was something he has gotten used to, and he always knew when she arrived.

The person that suddenly stood in his office, however, was not Alycia, it was a shrouded figure.

Stahl knew instantly who it was and got up from behind his desk.”Narth Supreme what an honor and surprise.”

“One is equally honored, Eternal Warrior.”

“While I hope there will be the time you simply come for no particular reason, I am certain it is not now.”

“One will never appear for no reason. One needs motivation to do so, but I will find more trivial reasons. Your senses, however, do not betray you, Richard. The time of the decision draws near. Many individuals have delusional convictions that they must be present because only a few must be present indeed. You, Richard Stahl, have been chosen long ago, your presence is paramount.”

“Supreme Narth, you know I respect you but I know nothing of this affair. I am a simple man.”

“You knew nothing of other sentient civilizations and yet your name is spoken with respect far beyond the reaches of this galaxy. You are the first human, all Narth respects. You are the one I declare to be my friend.

Stahl sighed.”You would not seek me out if this was trivial. Where do I need to go and what is it I have to do?”

“We must travel to Avondur, and you simply need to be there.”

“Avondur?”

“The Planet at the Center of the Universe, in the Avondur Galaxy. Too far for even a Narth Sphere to travel,”

“Then how can I hope to get there?”

“We will use a Transspatial step. I will accompany you, and perhaps your wife and her Netherworld companion will be there as well.”

“It is about Erica and that Dark One entity?”

“Yes.”

“Erica is somewhere in the Spinward region.”

“She and the Dark One will be there.”

“Alright, I take a leave of absence, show me the way,”

--””--

The person arriving at Avondur, planet was as much Rex Schwartz as he was Invictus Rex. The transformation was complete.

The immortal human and the essence of the Nnnth had become one.

What the expelled Nnnth unsuccessfully attempted billions of years ago, had mow occurred successfully.

The expelled Nnnth wanted to evolve just like the other Nnnth and ascent to the next tier of evolution. It eluded him, as he was seeking for an entity like the Arth. Instead, he had become like the Arth and now entered a symbiosis with a human being.

Rex Schwartz matched the essence of the Nnnth to the last aspect. Kindred minds and spirits and now a new entity with power that reached those of the Narth Supreme.

The old entities of the Netherworlds were obsolete, carryovers of conditions and realms that came before. He was a new entity of this Universe, not serving the old conditions, not relying on fading Nether realms but being of this reality.

Rex Schwartz had created an army. The new core that would grow and restore the First Empire. Twenty thousand perfectly cloned beings and 50,000 Seenian Sentmacs utterly devoted to him. Equipped with the finest and most advanced technology.

Now he had arrived at Avondur and was ready to take the mantle of the Dark One, open the Imperial Vault and equip his horde with forgotten Nnnth and Imperial technology.

His advance forces had secured a building complex in the city of Sandakaar on Avondur, planet.

His arrival was noticed and made the Seven Circles weary.

The rumor that the Black Hoods were in cohort, was spreading fast.

--””--

Lumis and his companion had reached the peak of the pass and had found the path that branched off to the Stronghold of the Yellow.

They were well past the treeline. It was cold and there were patches of snow everywhere.

Yet the hiver flyer negotiated the small path without problems,

The Stronghold of the Yellow circle was an impressive collection of wall enclosed buildings and towers. The main gate was lit by covered lamps and its sturdy wings apparently made from solid timber and iron.

Lumis had stepped out the flyer, the long mantle he wore over his armor tugged on by a strong and cold wind.

He estimated local time to be near the midnight hour, but that this might have been an inappropriate hour for a visit did not cross his mind. His inherent haughtiness was not affected that much. He still considered himself to be the most important being alive. Especially his most recent thoughts had improved his mood considerably. If everything and everyone had to abide by the laws of physics while on that road, would that not affect the Dark One as well?

He pounded his armored fist with considerable force against the sturdy gate. His efforts created only muffled sound. So he added much strength, repeated the knocks and called out loud.”Open this gate, I demand access. Refuse and I tear it down.”

In response to his demand, the gate did swing open and revealed a towering being of at least eight feet. The being appeared humanoid in shape underneath the Safran colored cloak, the face underneath the cowl, however, was not human. It resembled the rough cut features of a lantern-jawed Oghr.

The guard of the gate was armed with a sturdy club of war.”The Yellow Robes are compelled to answer a visitor’s call. However, a visitor threatening to violate the sanctity of our abode ceases to be a visitor. State your business, Lumis.”

Uritel by now had reached the gate as well and hastily spoke to prevent Lumis to answer.

“By the decree of the Circle, seekers of destiny can not be denied answers. We are not associated with any Circle but we are Seekers indeed. Our destiny is clear and our quest is just.”

“Your quest is just in your opinion only, but your arrival before our gates has been foreseen. Do you abide to honor the sanctity of our walls or is the threat issued by the envoy of Crea the motivation?”

Lumis sensed the veiled counter-threat and was about to teach that creature a lesson when Uritel again answered. “We abide by the rules.”

Uritel made an angry gesture towards Lumis to remain silent.

The Gatekeeper seemed satisfied and stepped back to grant access.”Then you might proceed and speak to the Yellow Wizard.”

Uritel grunted under his breath as they entered the Stronghold.”By Crea’s mighty will, hold your sharp tongue and return to the more reasonable ways. Return to your old ways and I shall no longer follow you.”

“You be careful who you threaten Uritel. I realized that I am more than an equal to this Dark One while we are on Avondur. It now makes sense to me, while the last conflict must be here, for now, I see benefits in your companionship. However, it is I who Crea chose, not you.”

“And I am glad she did.”

The two Knights of Light were met by a normal-sized humanoid, but otherwise dressed just like the Gatekeeper.”Follow me then, the Yellow Wizard is granting you an audience.”

Both men followed the guide through long corridors, and climbing several wide staircases reaching a sizeable hall decorated in gold and amber, with heavy fabric curtains before walls and between columns. The sweet smell of incense in the air, light issued from gilded chandeliers gave the place a tranquil character.

The floor was polished wood, covered for the most part with elaborately patterned rugs. It all centered on an elevated gilded, high backed armchair, upon which a bearded man sat, wearing a black robe with wide golden lapels.p

The man somehow managed to look truly ancient, without really looking old or fragile. He had bushy eyebrows that matched the long well-groomed white beard, reaching almost to the beltline.

The prominently situated man did not get up and greeted them by name before they even introduced themselves. There was a detectable tone of disapproval in the old man’s voice.

“Lord Lumis and a member of the old Klavin species, who became known as Uritel. I am the Yellow Wizard.”

Lumis stepped closer, rested his right hand on the hilt of the restored sword named Brilliance.”So you know who I am, my reputation is the reason no doubt. Now don’t waste my time, Yellow mortal, speak all you know and do it quickly.”

“Your reputation is well earned indeed, and it is clear that the reports speaking of your recent change towards a more reasonable individual were incorrect. It is you who came here and it is you wasting my time. I will answer Uritel’s questions. You are free to leave.”

Lumis knew he lapsed into his old ways and did not want to jeopardize things any more than he already had and gave Uritel a nod,

The other Knight of Light said.”Our quest is after the WEAPON, and we were told this place is, where the one that carries answers is to be found.”

“This is indeed true, she who has taken the WEAPON from the Urd has been granted shelter here.”

Lumis brushed Uritel aside. “Then have her brought before us immediately.”

“Old agreements must be upheld, but it must be done by all sides. Are you retracting the agreement?”

“I never made any agreements, I am Lord Lumis.”

“Goddess Crea has been part of that agreement, did she give you authority to retract?”

“She is above such petty things. Now present us with that woman and I will mention you favorably to her.”

“I can not do so, I informed her about you and she has left this place.”

“You lying fool. The WEAPON will be mine and I will not be denied.”

--””--

Angela had always known that her sanctuary among the Yellow Robes was temporary, but she had no place to go. While she was a formidable fighter and due to her father was not without powers that elevated her above the average humanoid, None of this was enough to prevail against those sent against her.

The words of the Yellow Wizard were clear, she needed to go and right away.

In her chambers she hastily packed a few things, not knowing where to go when a Yellow Robe entered.”Quick Angela,

Angela was not invulnerable and could be killed. This became quite clear to her as she balances across the narrow ledge away from the window of her former quarters and inched towards the old staircase at the far side of this ledge. She almost slipped and with fear of falling into the darkness let go of her bundle of things.

She finally reached the open balustrade and climbed over it and onto the icy stairs.

She heard angry voices from her old room, to distant to make out actual words, but she was certain the voices belonged to those hunting her.

The stairs had been used by those who built this stronghold so long ago and if she remembered correctly led to a narrow path hewn into the side of the mountain.

She was agitated, confused and afraid and when she noticed a person standing there at the end of the slippery stone steps she drew her sword. The only thing her father had left for her and steeled herself for a fight. Angela was close to giving up, but she rather died in a fight than ending up in the hands of whoever was after her.

The person brushed back the hood of the obscuring cloak and revealed Guhn, an old member of the Yellow Robes. She had always liked that old man who had taught her to read old texts and to use her sword more effectively. “Angela shed your blade. The Yellow Wizard allowed me to volunteer and help you to escape.”

She relaxed a little but was near tears. “Good Guhn, I am hunted and do not know where to go, let me pass before they find my trail.”

“Angela this is Avondur, no place has more gates and rifts. There are places you can go, let me help you find a gate that takes you to a safe place.”

She sighed deeply and was deeply thankful not to be completely alone. “Lead the way, Guhn I am out of options.”

--””--

Egill and his friends were aboard the Jolly Blue and on their way to enter Freespace to make their way to N’Ger from where they hoped to find a trans-spatial connection to Avondur, or even better catch up with the Saresii scholar, The man they hoped knew the identity of the thief of the document.

Egill had found a soft recliner in the small lounge of Phil Decker’s private spacecraft and made himself comfortable. Just as he was to drift into sleep, he suddenly heard a familiar voice in his mind.”Old friend, I am awake. The authority that made me sentient urged me to contact you.”

Egill no longer felt like sleeping and sat up.”Tyr!”

“It is I indeed. Your companionship is missed, and I look forward to your next visit. I am seeking you out because of the little fish, that soon transforms into the biggest fish in the Mega-Verse.”

“Erica is in trouble?”

“Erica is completely separate now. I speak of Eric. He managed to obtain more of the tokens. Omni-symbolic items created by the One Behind it All, representing aspects of the Dark One. The entire Omniverse became aware that the Dark One is here indeed. An entity known as the JUDGE is just an aspect of the Dark One.”

“I know you are more than a talking fish, with remarkable psionic abilities. I am no longer the same closeminded hermit, I am best friends with a Saresii and a Narth, but most of the concepts you convey, remain beyond my abilities to understand.”

“The time for the decision draws near, and the place it will occur is now known. It is Avondur, the planet at the center of the Universe,”

“This is where the Saresii scholar is headed. We think there is a passage to Avondur. We are on his trail,”

“Egill you must come to Nilfeheim, a very important element of this event is waiting here and must be brought to Avondur.”

The old hermit of Nilfeheim exchanged a few more thoughts and then went to the command deck, where he found Phil and the Narth playing chess.

“Mr.Decker can we make a detour to Nilfeheim? I am certain now, that we have to go to Avondur, It will be there where we find our answers.”

Decker reacted by giving his NAv System new instructions. “You saved my life by suddenly wearing Viking garb and swinging a sword, we are now on course to Nilfeheim. I am around long enough that there is much more to this case than meets the eye.”

Alegar who had entered just behind Egill said.”I too know there is a layer of events and developments that are above that of our standard reality. The Saresii Gray Cat society kept records and knowledge from a time we call the First Age of Knowledge. Galactic history reaches further back than most contemporaries can imagine.”

He pointed towards Egill.”Your sudden appearance in traditional Nilfeheim gear to save our lives is a clear indication that there is much more going on than we know.”

Phil agreed.”The theft of a document that contains information about a meta-physical event that has no bearing to the common being. I am certain the entity behind this theft is connected to that prophecy.”

The Narth still studying the chessboard said.”The events that are prophecized will be of unrivaled importance to every living organism in all the realities of the Omniverse. The Narth Supreme agree we must go to Nilfeheim and meet with the Guardian of that world.”

--””--

Circuit hit the emergency release that cut the physical connections to the alien wreck. It had too much mass for only tractor beams. Alarm sounds echoed through the ship,

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.