You Beat Me to the Punch - Cover

You Beat Me to the Punch

by radio_guy

Copyright© 2019 by radio_guy

Young Adult Story: It's another song/story. Set in the sixties, I've substituted a guy for the narrating girl. I'll try that twist but we'll see. It's going to be more I've found. I'm still not sure I like where it went but it's done and I'm submitting it. I don't think it's one of my better ones. 73, RG

Tags: Teenagers   Fiction  

The Song - You Beat Me to the Punch
Sung and made famous by Mary Wells
That day, I first saw you passing by
I wanted, to ask your name but I ... was much too shy
But I was looking at you so hard
That you must have had a hunch.
So you came up to me and asked me my name.

You beat me to the punch
That time
You beat me to the punch
Yes you did.

After, I had known you for what seems like a long, long time
I wanted, wanted to ask you would you please, please be mine
Whenever you came around, my heart would pound
So you must have had a hunch.
So you came up to me and asked me to be yours.

You beat me to the punch
One more time
You beat me to the punch
Yes you did.

Since I loved you
I thought you would be true
And love me tender
So I let my heart surrender
To you, yes I did.
But I found out
Beyond a doubt
One day, boy
You were a playboy
Who would go away and leave me
Blue.

So I ain’t gonna wait around for you to put me down
This time I’m gonna play my hunch
And walk away this very day.
And beat you to the punch
Yes I will
I’ll beat you to the punch
This time.

Songwriters: Ronald White / Smokey Robinson / William Robinson Jr.

The Story Begins – Chapter 1

I remember the first day I saw her. We were in the ninth grade, freshmen in high school. She was beautiful and surrounded by others, obviously popular, and knew everyone. I knew no one.

I was new in town. My dad had received a promotion and we had moved here. I had spent a lonely summer not knowing anyone. My parents didn’t go to church and it was a month before I found the little church that I had started attending. I became the fourth teen there. There were now three guys and one girl. They were nice but older and lived in the opposite direction from my folks’ house. Even on my bike, it was a long ride with a lot of peddling. I made the trip once for a pool party on a Saturday. I had agreed to come but was without a ride. My parents were both suddenly busy and couldn’t give me a ride. I made the trip and had a good time after peddling my lonely way there. Going back seemed to take longer.

I have two sisters; one is older and the other is younger. They seemed to take most of my parents’ available time. I felt neglected though was well fed and well clothed. After all, my situation wasn’t really that bad. I had learned to be independent early in life relying upon my own resources. My grades were good. I was also a big enough guy that people didn’t “mess” with me. At my old church, there was an older guy who I got to know. He lived a block away. He taught any of us who were interested martial arts plus boxing. I learned well enough that I only had to fight off bullies once.

The early bell rang and I had to get to my class. English wasn’t my favorite way to start my morning but that was the only time the advanced class was offered. She was in the class also! We all sat down and I heard her name called. Her name was Clarissa Mays. I thought it a pretty name. Shortly thereafter, my name was called, Jack Robinson.

When the bell rang to dismiss class, she walked over to me and said, “I’m Clarissa. You’re Jack?”

I replied, “Yes, I am. I moved here this summer from Knoxville. My dad got a promotion so we came here.”

“That’s cool, Jack. I’ve never lived anywhere but here. This is a dull town.”

I said, “It’s not too bad, Clarissa. Moving here over the summer wasn’t fun because no one my age lives in my neighborhood. My sisters did okay but our interests don’t have much in common.”

She said, “What are your interests, Jack?”

“Baseball, playing tenor sax, reading, hiking. Anything outdoors.”

“Ooh! I like baseball. I’m going to try out for the softball team. I like music but don’t play though I do like to sing. I read a bunch since I take the advanced English. I don’t hike but I walk and love to swim.”

We had been walking together. I said, “Is this your class? I have world geography here now.”

She smiled. “I’m here for that, too. We may have a few classes together if most of yours are for advanced placement.” I nodded. We went in to the classroom.

We were seated alphabetically by last name. We didn’t sit together or even adjacently. The class was interesting. The teacher explained that we would be looking at some political divisions as well as geographical features that might enhance political features. The bell rang and we headed for our next class. Clarissa walked beside me with another girl, who had sat just in front of me. This class would be biology.

We walked into the lab which had space for three at each table. Clarissa said, “Jack, why don’t you join us?” I nodded and sat down between the two since that was the chair remaining. Melanie Roberts was the name of Clarissa’s friend. Just as we were introduced, the bell rang to start the class. Melanie was a pretty girl, too, though not in Clarissa’s looks for hotness.

The teacher explained that we would go to lunch from this class. He also explained that there would be labs later in the quarter and that we might as well get used to the smell. We would have this class and then go to lunch without returning to this class but go on to the next period’s class. There were a few groans. That meant we would eat last.

The teacher was a younger guy named Williams. I thought it might be a good class. He launched into a first lecture that we had to follow in our textbooks. When the bell rang, we were dismissed to the lunchroom. We went in there and were served our food slowly. Everyone had to pay for the week and receive a lunch ticket. I took mine and put it in a zippered pouch in my notebook. Lunch cleaned me out but I had a receipt to show my folks. They would give me back the money I spent. We ate.

When the bell rang, we went to math. Clarissa left me then as her math wasn’t advanced placement. Melanie went with me to the class. It would be an interesting class. When it was over, Clarissa rejoined us for world history for fifth period. We were given the textbook and mimeographed sheets for our reading assignments. We would cover half the book this quarter. We were also told that class participation would be one-third of our grade and, if people didn’t participate enough, there would be pop tests. The teacher was an older woman who, I thought, would brook no nonsense.

We left that class for the last period which would be “gym” or physical education. Phys ed was okay by me. Once inside the gym, we were separated by sex and Mister Sullivan, the male instructor, took the guys over to one corner to introduce us to the expectations and requirements. We would have to “dress out” every day. I noticed Clarissa and Melanie were listening to Miss Baker, the girls’ instructor who seemed to be giving similar instructions. We were then told we would shoot baskets for the remainder of the period.

Two boys were told to pull two carts of basketballs out of storage. One cart was for the guys and the other for the girls. We were told to shoot flatfooted. Our leather soles would be slick on the floor of the gym and might mar the surface. We did as we were told. At the end of the period, the bell rang to let us quit. The carts were put back. I was one of the ones selected for that chore which was no big deal. It did delay the two of us guys.

When we finished, everyone was gone. I grabbed by books and went for my bus. I stood and waited in line to get on. As I walked down the aisle, I saw Melanie who waved to me to join her. I sat beside her and we talked until the bus arrived at her stop. Mine was later since our new house was in a different subdivision. I got out and walked with my older sister.

Beverly, my sister, asked, “Who was she?”

“She’s in some of my classes. She’s okay. I was glad to meet someone today.”

Bev grinned, “Little Bro’ has already gotten himself a girlfriend.”

“No. She’s a friend who happens to be a girl. What about you, Sis?”

“I have my eye on a few guys but haven’t chosen one yet. It’s early. Are you thinking about football or playing in the band?”

“I haven’t thought about either one yet. The band meets in the afternoon after school. I would have to get a ride home to do that. Playing football would be okay but I prefer baseball. By then, I hope to know enough people to be able to get a ride.”

We came to our house. I let us in with my key. Our parents were, of course, not home from their jobs. We were used to that since that’s how it had always been. I had some history reading and went to my room to perform that task. When I finished, I went downstairs to check the news and help with supper. My mother had delegated that task to Bev and I helped her to keep it from overwhelming her. It also helped us to get along better.

We were cooking a meat loaf with baked potatoes and string beans. My parents came in just in time and Carol, my younger sister, came down from her bedroom. While Bev and I got along okay, she didn’t seem to like either one of us. My mother doted on her. She was given no chores but would be quick to tell on Bev or me if we did something wrong or didn’t do something we were supposed to do. She was in middle school. Actually, I was glad that I was no longer in middle school but had started high school. Not being in the same school as Carol was good in my mind.

Our meal was quiet. Dad was reading some papers from work. My mother was doing the same. Bev and I were quietly eating. Carol was reading a school book. When I finished, I asked to be excused. My mother just waved at me. I left carrying my dishes to the kitchen. Once there, I loaded them into the dishwasher. Bev and I would come back in later and finish off the rest. Bev was excused and came into the kitchen with her dishes. I said, “Sis, I’ll see you later. I have some studying still left.” She nodded. She left for her room also.

About an hour later, Bev knocked on my door. “Are you ready, Jack?”

“Give me ten seconds, Bev.” She nodded. I finished the last paragraph for geography, closed the book, and went downstairs to join my older sister in the kitchen. We got everything into the dishwasher and turned it on. By then, it was time for bed. Bev and I headed up. I went into my room and got in bed.

In the morning, I rose, cleaned up, and went downstairs to make some breakfast. Bev joined me. Carol wasn’t down since her bus was later. Bev and I left carrying our books and went to the corner to wait. The bus came and a girl Bev knew waved her into a seat. I chose a seat about half way down intent upon minding my business. Melanie got on and sat next to me. I said, “Good morning, Melanie.”

“Good morning to you, Jack. Are you ready for another day?”

“As ready as I can be.” I had gym clothes in a bag so I was ready for that event. Mister Sullivan had made it very clear that we had to change back into normal clothes or face discipline. Gym shorts weren’t allowed outside of phys ed classes. Actually, shorts of any type were not allowed in school in these enlightened days of 1967!

Classes were more real this second day of school. I got to know a few more people though Clarissa was with me except for math class. She even sat next to me at lunch with Melanie on her other side. I was okay with it. After all, if a very pretty girl wants to hang around me, I wasn’t going to fight her off. Two weeks later, that was still happening. Sometimes, she would hold my hand. I realized that we were becoming considered a couple in school. I decided that it could be worse.

A month has passed. Nothing special has happened except that Clarissa holds my hand a lot now. We both have gone through initial tryouts for softball and baseball. On the bus, I sit next to Melanie who passes me to Clarissa and receives me from her in the afternoon. As we rode, we talk about our classes and school work.

Football season had started. I’m not sure why but I didn’t try out for the band. I had played in middle school but could walk home. Now that we had moved, it was too far to walk and I knew my chances of being picked up by my parents were zilch. I had some practice books and tried to improve my abilities though studying came first. Falling grades would have resulted in my parents paying some unpleasant attention to me. It was better to be ignored.

Clarissa wanted me to take her to a football game. I had missed the first two and she was pushing. I talked to Bev while we were preparing supper one night. I told her what was happening and said, “You know Mom and Dad won’t provide me with a ride. If you wanted to go, perhaps I could ride with you and we could pick Clarissa up on the way and get her home. Bev, I need some help.”

Bev nodded. “Football is a bigger deal here than at our old middle school or even my old high school there. Tonight’s Tuesday. I’ll talk to Mom and Dad and see what kind of commitment they will give me. I see no problem for you and think that they will pick up Clarissa, too. I’ll ask them.”

“Thanks, Sis.”

More Story – Chapter 2

She did and it worked. My younger sister wanted to go but, to my surprise, my parents denied her wish.

That Friday evening, my Dad took Bev and me and stopped by to pick Clarissa up. He made no comment. We went to the football game. I had taken some of the money from mowing lawns this summer since I had had nothing else to do. I was able to pay for Clarissa and me and have some money for snacks. We went into the stands and cheered for our team. Bev stayed with us until half-time. I could see her with a group about fifty feet away that was composed of mostly guys.

I went to the bathroom during the third quarter and saw Bev making out with a guy. She saw me and motioned me to keep moving. I did. I was pretty sure that silence was the only way I would keep getting a ride. Besides, I didn’t tattle on my sister.

The game ended on a high note since our team won. Clarissa hugged me tightly and kissed my cheek. We went out with everyone else to wait. Bev joined us. Dad drove up and we got inside. I walked Clarissa to her door. She kissed me again. It was soft and quick but on the lips. She said, “Jack, I want to be your girl.” I nodded speechless. “Good. See you Monday.” I walked back to the car happy and warm.

It was still fall and I raked leaves to earn some money. I wanted to get a present for Clarissa for Christmas. I was also using most of my summer money to take Clarissa to football games. Our team wasn’t great so we weren’t in the playoffs. That saved me some money. Bev went to the games and was making out with different guys each week. I kept quiet.

Dad came into my room one Sunday night and said, “You seem to like Clarissa. If you want to go out with her next Friday, let me know by Tuesday night and I will give you a ride and pick you up. She seems like a nice girl.”

“Thanks, Dad. I think so. We enjoy being together.”

During lunch, I asked her and had the movie listing with me to pick a movie. I let her pick one. She did and we went. It was fun and we kissed a bit in the theater.

Bev finally took and passed her driving test. She could now drive. She was told to chauffer me on my dates. She arranged for me to ‘double date” with her. She dated a bit but most of the time didn’t go into the movie but went elsewhere. She always picked us up on time. I kept my mouth shut.

I gave Clarissa a nice bracelet for Christmas. I gave Melanie a small pin also. She was a nice person.

School started back from Christmas and New Year’s break and I continued to date Clarissa. It was time for softball and baseball to start practicing. To my surprise, I made the team. Clarissa made the junior varsity. My parents bought an older Ford Falcon for Bev though she had to agree to drive me for my practices and games. I quit riding the bus and rode with Bev to school. She agreed to pick up Melanie who was on the way. Melanie usually rode the bus home since I would stay to play or practice. The coach had my phys ed class changed to allow me to practice more.

Bev liked going to my baseball games. One of the guys she liked was on the team. Clarissa was given a ride home when she could make my games. I went to her games when it suited Bev. Bev was good about that since she could go off while I watched Clarissa play. She was good about picking me up on time. Clarissa was usually driven home by one or the other of her parents.

We finished the school year. My lawn mowing business was going well. I stayed in touch with Clarissa and we went on a few dates. She never invited me over to her house. I didn’t think anything about that since having someone at my house was not a thought I had ever entertained. Bev rarely had anyone over. Carol, on the other hand, frequently had one of her female friends over but they stayed in her room or in the living room. I still kept my distance from my younger sister. She could be mean when talking to me.

That seemed to suit her though a few of her buddies seemed to be interested. Nothing came of those stares because I was in Clarissa’s orbit and my sister wasn’t going to let one of her friends have any involvement with me any way.

The new school year started. I had taken and easily passed the test for my learners’ permit once I was finally taken to get it. This winter, I would get my drivers’ license! Bev still drove me around and I was still dating Clarissa. Melanie was still around as Clarissa’s buddy though didn’t look as happy. I rarely rode the bus and she declined to ride in with me. Supposedly, she didn’t like Bev’s driving.

We went through football season with Bev driving Clarissa and me to the games. Bev never stayed for the games. I really didn’t know what she did and didn’t ask. I didn’t want to know. I was pretty darn sure that my parents didn’t know what might be happening. I just hoped that, when she got caught, I wasn’t blamed for knowing and not informing. On the way home one night, I mentioned this to Bev. She told me not to worry and that she was careful. I hoped so.

Christmas came and went along with the New Year. I didn’t see much of Clarissa over the holiday. School started back and, in mid-January, I took and passed the tests for my drivers’ license. Bev gave me a set of keys to the Falcon. I would drive Bev to a place and drop her off. Then, I would go to Clarissa’s house and pick her up for a date. We were kissing pretty heavily now.

Clarissa had started the kissing and escalated it over time. To my surprise, she quit softball. I was continuing to play baseball and was now on the starting varsity. I truly enjoyed the games and my part in them. Sometimes, Clarissa begged off coming to games. On the pretext of going to my games, Bev would frequently have me take her away from the house in the Falcon and pick her up later.

We had a game end early and I snuck back to where I dropped her off. In retrospect, I wish I hadn’t been curious. I parked a block away and walked to the house where I had let Bev off. Next door, loud music was playing. I went over and looked in a side window. What I saw made me unhappy. I wish it had surprised me. Some of what I heard did surprise me.

My sister was in the living room of the house dancing naked. There were a group of guys there who naked also. I watched as Bev mounted one. She leaned over to use her mouth on another. It went on until both guys orgasmed in her. She looked at the time and said, “Guys, that’s enough for today. I’ll call Joe and set up another meeting for later in the week. I need to dress. My brother can’t find out what we do.”

One of them laughed, “Yeah, he wouldn’t like knowing his sister and his girl like to play with us.”

Another asked, “Where is Clarissa today anyway?”

My sister said, “She was meeting with her father and some friends of his.” There was laughter. She went into a bathroom carrying her clothes.

I stumbled away in shock. I had learned too much information.

I managed to get to the Falcon and get inside. I cried. I now knew what my sister was doing and heard what my girl was doing as well. I felt sick. I got my emotions under control and wiped my face. Only then did I pull away and head toward the place to meet my sister.

She got in the car and we rode in silence to the house. We got out and went inside. She went into her room and I went into mine. I didn’t call Clarissa.

In the morning, I rode the bus to school. Melanie sat next to me but we didn’t speak. Once there, my sister walked up and confronted me privately.

“What gives, Jack?”

“The game ended early. I parked a couple of blocks away and went to see what you were doing. I found out and heard more. We won’t ride together any more. Bev, what you’re doing is bad enough. What’s worse is that you knew what Clarissa was doing and didn’t tell me. I guess you all had a good laugh about my naivete.”

“What are you going to do?”

“To you, nothing, though I won’t drive you anymore nor tide with you. I will, of course, break up with Clarissa. She and you can continue what you’ve been doing. I just won’t be a party to it anymore even unknowingly.”

At that moment, Clarissa’s father drove up and delivered her at the front of the school. She came over to me.

I said, “Clarissa, we’re over.”

“What? Why?”

“Ask Bev. She can explain everything you need to know.” I walked away leaving her looking at my sister.

I found out later that they both left school in the Falcon. Melanie was troubled but was quiet. I spoke to no one all day. At the end of school, I skipped practice and rode the bus home. Melanie sat beside me. She said nothing. When the bus arrived at her stop, she patted my arm and left. I got off at my stop and went to my room.

I passed on supper not even helping Bev cook or anything. I could hear my parents ask her what was wrong with me. Bev said that I broke up with Clarissa and didn’t feel well. My parents let it go.

Later, Bev came up to my bedroom. She knocked softly and entered. “Well, Bro. I guess we need to work out things between us.”

“Bev, what is there to work out? I don’t approve of what you’re doing and you hid what my former girl was doing with others from me. There is no way I can trust you. I knew you were doing some wrong things but hiding Clarissa’s activities was over the line.”

“I’m sorry. It just got involved. Mom and Dad are involved, too. I don’t think Carol is yet but it won’t take much to get her to go along.”

“I’m really an orphan.”

“No. It’s just that you don’t join in the family perversions.” She paused a moment.

“Jack, Clarissa got me further involved. I didn’t bring her into it. Her parents and she have been involved in group sex for a few years ever since her mother got her started.”

I asked, “Who else that I know is involved?”

“No one, I think. All the guys involved are my age or older. Same with the girls except Clarissa.” She frowned. “No one gets hurt. We’re all consent. I get my rocks off just like the guys do. When I party with Mom and Dad, it can get a little rough and wild but that’s how Mom likes it.”

She had paused and then asked, “Where does that leave us?”

“I’m not at war with you, Bev. I won’t trust you again nor will I help you go on your ‘trysts.’ I will handle my own transportation. I planned to buy a car this summer anyway. We both know Mom and Dad won’t provide one for me.

“Tomorrow, I’ll be back to helping you with supper.”

I rode the bus for the rest of the year. I went to see my coach and explained that I no longer had a ride so couldn’t participate in baseball anymore this school year. I explained that I hoped to buy a car this summer and would be trying to make next year’s team. He accepted my explanation and asked no questions. We only had two games left because we weren’t going to regionals or beyond.

I rode the bus home sitting with Melanie.

Finally, on the third day, she asked what was going on.

The Story Changes - Chapter 3

I said, “Melanie, I found out some distressing facts about Clarissa and my sister. The Falcon is her car. I won’t be driving it again. I don’t want to talk about Clarissa. I won’t be seen with her again.”

She grimaced. “Will you still be my friend, Jack. I knew Clarissa was involved in something but not what it might be. She won’t talk to me about her activities. It started a couple of years ago and escalated this year. We had been growing apart.” Her face had an anguished look. “Jack, I need a friend. I’ve never had many.”

“Yes, we’re friends. Thanks, Melanie.”

“For what? I didn’t do anything.”

“No, that’s true. You’ve just been you. That’s good.”

We just rode to her stop in silence and she got off. I rode to my stop and got off. I went into the house and to my room. When Bev came home, I went downstairs and began to help her with supper. We were quiet.

After a bit, she said, “Clarissa is asking why you broke up with her. How should I answer that? She’s not going to stop asking.”

“Tell her that I found out about the rest of her life and want no part of it or her. That’s truth. You don’t have to go into details.”

We were almost finished with supper when our parents came in from work. My mother went on toward the rest of the house. Dad stayed.

He asked, “I heard you broke up with Clarissa. What happened?”

“We just have different lives. We’ve permanently parted ways.”

He looked at Bev but didn’t pursue it. When he left the kitchen a moment later, Bev went with him. I could hear her whispering to him in the living room. She was saying, “Jack found out about my fun and found out about Clarissa’s participation. That’s why they’re over and he’s not driving the Falcon anymore. Dad, he quit baseball rather than drive me to meets once he knew what I was doing.”

“That’s unfortunate. Clarissa is fun but she does seem to miss Jack. Can anything be done?”

“No, Sir. Jack knows too much and won’t swing. I respect him even if I don’t agree with him. Dad, he’s a good guy and you and Mom have always neglected him. Now, he knows why. It wasn’t fun to have to confess to what he knows.”

“I’m sorry he found out. I wish he would join the fun.”

Bev said, “I don’t think that will ever happen.”

“Well, your sister has learned oral and it’s time to take her to the next step. She’s eager. We’ll party Friday with some friends. Jack should go off some place. Tell him to use the Falcon and don’t come home until very late.”

She nodded and gave Dad a kiss that was not daughterly! If I had any doubts, they were resolved. I don’t think I really did though.

Bev returned to the kitchen. I said, “I heard. I’ll take the Falcon. Bev, I just don’t believe all that is right.”

“I know, Jack. I leave in the fall for State. You’ve got two more years to get out of high school. All I can say is that you have to suffer through it or join in.”

“I’ll suffer since I won’t be me if I join in.” She nodded giving me a sad little smile. We served up supper and everyone gathered for the meal.

The five of us ate a quiet meal. I noticed that my mother had changed clothes and wasn’t wearing a bra. I usually didn’t spend time looking at her and made this time no exception. When we finished, I went to my bedroom and closed the door to study. I went to bed at my normal time.

In the morning, I caught the bus. Two stops later, Melanie got on and stopped at my seat. I smiled and scrunched over a bit to give her plenty of room. She sat down next to me and smiled hesitantly. I smiled back a bit more.

It was moderately noisy today. I whispered in Melanie’s ear. “I need to be away from home Friday night. I would like to go out with you if you would consider that.”

She gave me a long look. “Jack, we need to talk. Why don’t you get off the bus this afternoon and walk me home? I don’t think we’re that far. My mother will be there and would give you a ride home. I’ll give you my answer then.”

“Okay.” The bus arrived at school and we went to class. Clarissa wasn’t there. Melissa and I went to our classes and lunch together. Clarissa’s absence was a little surprising. I went through my day and talked to Coach again confirming that I wouldn’t be able to finish baseball this year. I did tell him that I was planning to buy a vehicle this summer and would have transport of my own for the next school year.

I got on the bus and sat next to Melanie. At her stop, we both got off the bus. She pointed, “This way, it’s not far.”

The bus moved off and we were alone walking on the sidewalk. She said, “Jack, you need to explain.”

“I will but it’s not pleasant. Baseball ended early Monday so I drove over to where I had let Bev off before going to practice. I parked out of the way. Next door to where I let her off, I heard loud music so cautiously went to that house. I looked through a window and saw my sister naked and sexually involved with multiple guys. They mentioned that Clarissa was missing this afternoon because she had a date with her father and some of his friends. They implied that she was involved sexually with her father. That’s not me. That’s why I ended things with her.

“My sister and I talked and she confessed all. She is involved with many including my parents, Clarissa, and Clarissa’s parents. I don’t do that and won’t start. I’m sort of the odd man out all the way around.”

 
There is more of this story...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.