Stocks & Blondes - Cover

Stocks & Blondes

Copyright© 2019 by Wayzgoose

Chapter 22: Exactly What Is ‘Safe’ About a Safe Deposit Box?

One good thing about the impending destruction of all privacy rights in our country: It will be hard to blackmail anyone. Our lives will be laid open and bare for all to see. As a person who makes her living uncovering secrets, the destruction of privacy rights spells disaster for my income.


Banking

I spent extra time Monday morning putting my makeup and clothes together. Taking a day off is always dangerous. I have to remember every detail of who I am and rehearse my role in front of the mirror as I put on my alias. I have to think, “Now where did I put my watch? That’s not my watch. Whose watch is that?” every time I see something out of place for my persona. I’m not that person. I’m this person.

I wasn’t planning to return to Georgia’s house today, so why be so careful with the makeup? Today was ‘Safe Deposit Box Day.’ I had a key from the fake fuse box in the basement. I was going to march into a new bank and show my credentials as representative of the estate in order to get access to that box. No one at this bank would simply glance at me as a regular customer and pass me through. Everything had to be perfect.

I was still worried about people following me, so I walked from my hotel to the Hilton about half a mile away, and caught the hotel shuttle to the airport. Once there, I walked across to the parking garage where the taxi stand is. In a few minutes, I had a cab that took me directly to the bank.

I asked to see a bank officer. You don’t want to talk to just anyone in a bank. There may be ten ‘personal bankers’ waiting to serve you and another ten tellers but you only want to do business with one person who can make decisions without having to go talk to a supervisor. Big banks have dozens of vice presidents. It doesn’t mean anything except that they are bank officers and can make everyday decisions without getting permission. I was ushered into the office of Vice President Smith. Smith? Really? Is anyone really named Smith? Apparently so.

“How can I help you, Ms. Chester,” Mr. Smith asked.

“Yes. I am the authorized representative of the Estate of Georgia McFearin. She passed away on Christmas Day and I have only recently discovered that she had a safe deposit box at your bank and may have other accounts as well that should be closed and brought under the control of the estate,” I answered. I’d worn a conservative and matronly business suit today and tried to assume my most businesslike tone. I laid my leather portfolio on the desk, opened it, and turned it to Vice President Smith so he could read the various letters from the state and the death certificate.

“These appear to be in order,” Mr. Smith said. “Let me see what I can find for you.” He turned to his computer and after tapping in a few lines came up with a screen-load of information. “Ah, yes. Ms. McFearin had a modest savings account and a safe deposit box. We only rent safe deposit boxes to account holders.” He showed me the screen with a balance on it. $324.40. Just enough to justify renting a box. “Of course, it is no problem to have a check cut for the amount, but it will take a few days to have the safe deposit box drilled and opened. I assume you will want to be here for that, and of course, there will be a fee for replacing the box and locks after drilling it open.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.