Stocks & Blondes - Cover

Stocks & Blondes

Copyright© 2019 by Wayzgoose

Chapter 2 :Dinner with Detective Handsome

I need new car tabs because I foolishly let mine expire at the end of the year. I could have had Cinnamon do this if I was thinking. Fortunately, Detective Handsome let me off with just a warning ... and dinner.


Starting the New Year right

Jordan’s party was really okay and the oyster stew wasn’t bad either. He hobbled around on his boot cast and Cinnamon was there to support him if he teetered. I think they hooked up last night. They were very cagey when I asked what they ended up doing and Cinnamon was too aloof from Jordan. It wasn’t natural. Something changed.

So, I spent the first part of the party sulking, I admit. I dressed up so carefully and was planning to be my sexiest, most flirtatious self, but seeing the electricity flowing between those two put me off the party spirit. Fortunately, Teri and Geoff were there, so I got to know him a little better and am no longer quite so terrified of him as I was. Okay, he says the whole playboy S&M thing has been a cover, but jeez, he scared me. Seeing him with Teri though, showed me a very tender side. I’m happy for her.

Now I’m getting all weepy because my friends are getting paired off. But that misses the whole point.

Jordan asked a couple law enforcement types to the party whom I hadn’t met before. Kathy Mitchell worked in the same group as Jordan but I’d never seen her come into our office or to any sites where I’ve visited. She wasn’t around when I was at Brenda Barnett’s hearing. She wasn’t at the docks when we went through the cargo container. But she seemed to know absolutely everything that I’ve done and all about me. She said she does a bit of undercover work, but mostly stays out of sight in the office to manage logistics. Wow! Somebody manages Jordan. Who would guess?

I was sitting alone in the living room before the late lunch, drinking a soda and generally feeling sorry for myself when the doorbell rang. With all the noise in the kitchen, I was betting no one else could hear it, so I went to let the new guest in. I opened the door on the most gorgeous man I’ve ever seen. I mean, Ray paled by comparison. Of course, Ray was fish food. This guy was six-one, 170 pounds, medium length sandy hair, and a physique that was like a Greek statue. Is that all trite enough? I think my mouth kind of dropped open and I forgot to say hello.

“Hi,” he said. “I’m Detective Hanson.”

“You certainly are,” I answered.

“I beg your pardon?”

“I mean certainly you are, or must be a friend of Jordan’s, right?” I’m twenty-seven years old and I was acting like a thirteen-year-old in front of a pop god. Get a grip, girl.

“Yeah. This is the right place, isn’t it?”

“Yes, it sure is. Everyone is in the kitchen. Come on in, Detective.”

“Sorry,” he said. “It’s Tom. I’m getting so used to introducing myself at people’s front door that I forget I don’t have to say ‘detective’ all the time. You’re lucky I didn’t flash the shield at you.”

“That’s okay. I’m getting so used to being arrested it would have seemed natural,” I joked. Oh, God! What a stupid thing to say! “Come in, Tom. I’m Deb.”

“It’s nice to meet you, Deb.” He held out his hand and I got all tingly when I shook it. I have definitely been spending too much time with computers and old people. One look at a nice looking—okay, gorgeous—guy and I’m getting flushed. I decided it was time to get myself, and him, under control.

“Let’s go to the kitchen where everybody else is. Jordan is entertaining everyone by shucking oysters,” I said. He didn’t let go of my hand right away, so I just pulled him along behind me. Where are those handcuffs, anyway? People in the kitchen had started counting down how many oysters were landing in the stew pot. I was counting how many wine bottles were empty so far. People were certainly into it.

“Hey, everybody!” I shouted over the noise. “This is Tom Hanson. Say hi.”

“Hi, Tom,” they responded. “Thirty-one!” Geoff broke away first and came to say hi. Tom had to let go of my hand to shake Geoff’s. I suddenly began to hate Geoff again.

“Tom, it’s good to see you. How’s life as a detective?”

“Still getting used to it, Geoff. Every morning I have to decide what to wear instead of pulling on the blue uniform.”

“Did you just get promoted?” I asked.

“About a month ago,” Tom replied. “They’re scarcely letting me out without a chaperone yet.”

“Don’t let him be too modest,” Jordan said when he finally got around the kitchen island to greet Tom. There were now thirty-six oysters in the stew according to the shouts. “Tom cracked a drug case while he was still in uniform and brought in one of Seattle’s most notorious dealers. The department couldn’t help but promote him. It was long overdue.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.