A Good Girl in Montauk - Cover

A Good Girl in Montauk

by Bebop3

Copyright© 2019 by Bebop3

Fiction Story: The 750 word story of a new member of the family.

Tags: Fiction   Tear Jerker  

This was another story that was written as part of a writer challenge in brevity. It’s the story of Buttercup, a dog belonging to the Corrigans of the Montauk series. Of course, in Buttercup’s mind, they belong to her. The story is told from her perspective and covers the time from when she first joins the family as a puppy and is taught by Dink, their other dog, and continues until just prior to Dink’s death, as she takes over his role as protector.

The “new man” mentioned is an addition to the Corrigan’s security detail. The “old man” mentioned is Santa. Marisol, a beloved family member, dies in “A Death in Montauk”.

This story, short as it is, would be better read after “A Montauk Christmas”.


He stands at my side, huge and unafraid. He is Dink and this is his domain. I watch as Cynthia walks toward William, unsteady, legs wobbly. Stopping, she waits and then moves towards hot-box of good smells. Dink looks to me. I run and stop between Cynthia and box with meat.

I’m Buttercup and Cynthia is my Good Girl. “No, Cynthia!” I say. “No, hot-box! No, hurt!” Cynthia cries. I lie at her feet. William come. Finn come. Dink come. Dink rest his head on my back.

Days go by. Warmer out. Follow Dink’s look. Tree. Squirrel! Nasty, bad invader. Buttercup yell with Dink. “Bad squirrel! Go squirrel!” Dink protect. Buttercup protect. Jennifer primitive speak. She say, “Good boy, Dink. Good girl, Buttercup.” Jennifer laugh. Jennifer give treat. Squirrel run.

Buttercup and Dink lie on grass in delicious warmth. Buttercup dream of Old Pack. Buttercup stir, look up. Dink sniff air. Danger? Pack safe? Pack safe. Buttercup dream.

Buttercup watch street. No Bad Boys come. Always watch. Fall! Tumble! Dink run into Buttercup. Dink nip Buttercup. Dink run. Buttercup run. Run, run, run. Dink too fast. Dink slows. Buttercup push Dink. Dink fall. Buttercup nip Dink.

More days go by. Dink not so big now. Buttercup big. Dink still bigger. Dink push Buttercup. Smell air. Dog! Other dog. “No, dog! You no come here! Dink here. Buttercup here. Not other dog home. Not other dog pack.” Run, run, run to front of house. Other dog yell. Other dog say bigger than Dink. No dog bigger than Dink! Buttercup with Dink. Dink yell at other dog. Buttercup yell at other dog. Dink protect.

Many days go by. Cynthia grow. Cynthia walk with William by water. Cynthia pick up shiny rock. Dink by Buttercup. William’s paws in water. Dink run to William, push William out of water. We walk. Cynthia in water. Dink wait. Buttercup rush to Cynthia, push Cynthia out of water. No hurt Cynthia.

 
There is more of this story...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.