Assassin No More - Cover

Assassin No More

Copyright© 2019 by Ka Hmnd

Chapter 6: Travelers Gap

I rode out following the path towards the distant mountains. I had purchased a detailed map and glanced at it until I had memorized the way I needed to go. I had thrown the bridles for the horses away and replaced them with halters. I rode slowly and the horses fed on grass as we went. I stopped beside a small stream a couple of hours before nightfall.

I placed the horses on a long picket line and ate a warm meal by a small fire. I was up with the first hint of sunlight and saddled the horses. It was noon before we passed the first real tree. I was not worried about time and continued slowly. I watched everything around us as I rode and a few hours before the sunset I saw the perfect spot to stop.

I dismounted and watered the horses from a nearby stream before leading them into the enclosed boulders I had seen. I picketed them and then went out to cut several thick thorn bushes. I used them to block the one other entrance into the boulders. After gathering enough wood for the night, I sat to eat. I stripped and went to the stream to wash before changing into clean clothes.

I started a fire in the one opening before relaxing with my bow beside me. I fed the small fire every so often to keep it going. It was late when the horses stirred, I had not really heard anything but stood and moved back towards them. I stopped when the thorn bush seemed to slide out slightly. I stepped closer and pulled my sword as I saw two wolves on their stomachs pulling on the bush.

They growled and I spun as two more wolves came passed the fire. I sliced across as one lunged towards me and drew a dagger as the other leaped. My sword cut the first wolf’s throat and I side stepped and struck up into the chest of the other with the dagger. The night quieted as any other wolves retreated into the darkness. I moved to calm the horses and then cleaned my weapons.

I pulled the bodies beyond the fire and quickly skinned them and pulled the carcass to the side. I began cleaning the skins as I relaxed by the fire. When the sun came up, I rolled up the two skins and saddled the horses. After letting them drink, I climbed into the saddle and started off with my bow in my lap. It was not long before I noticed the wolves.

They seemed to watch me as I passed but stayed at a safe distance. A single howl made the horses dance and the stallion snort almost angrily. I patted his neck and kept watch as we rode. It was noon before they seemed to disappear. I stopped beside a clear brook and let the horses drink. I filled my water bottles and swung back into the saddle.

I turned to leave and stopped as a bush that was not there before sat close beside the trail. I looked at it and then looked around before lifting my bow and fitting an arrow. The wolf fled as I aimed at the bush and howls rang out from the brush and small trees. I watched as the wolves moved away and put a hand on the stallion’s shoulder as he snorted and jerked, “They are just testing us.”

I led off thinking about what the wolves had just tried to do. They seemed more intelligent than other animals. I found a large cave an hour before the sun set and dismounted to check it. The horses snorted and at first did not want to go in but I had seen that it ended a short way in and the roof was blackened from many fires. I unsaddled and picketed the horses before moving out and looking for wood.

I saw a few glimpses of wolves as I brought several arm loads of sticks back to the cave mouth. As it started getting dark I started the fire and ate. I pulled out the wolf skins and went back to working on them, out of the night came a low growl. I smiled showing my teeth, “You do not like it, stay away.”

A huge grey furred wolf moved into the fire light to glare at me. I looked back calmly, “You do not like me killing your kind than find other game.”

The wolf lay down and watched me as I went back to work on the skin, “Normally I hunt other men.”

The wolf’s ears almost flicked at that and then he was still. I shrugged, “I think you understand me wolf. My name is Quillan. Like you, I am hunted. My clan seeks my death for leaving.”

The wolf watched as I finished one and used ash to rub the inside down before rolling it up. I glanced at the wolf as I heard the faint click of claws to each side of the cave, “So you do not care if I kill more of your kind.”

His head came up as I tossed a couple of sticks onto the waning fire. He growled and turned his head left and right before standing and walking off into the night. I kept working on the other wolf skin as I heard the retreating wolves outside the cave. I finally rolled the skin up and placed it with the other one.

I added wood to the fire before relaxing in my half sleep. I stirred during the night only to add wood to the fire. With the hint of dawn I was fully awake as slight scrapping sounds moved closer. When the wolves leaped out of the dawn’s light I was on my feet with both swords drawn, one plunging into the chest of one wolf and the other slashing sideways to cut the throat of another.

Even as they fell, two more took their place. I stabbed through the mouth of one and into the throat of another, as sudden as it had started it was over. I looked at the four dead wolves and then went to reassure the horses. I saddled them and then went back to the mouth of the cave. I quickly skinned the wolves and dragged them off to the side.

I rolled the skins and placed them on a pack before leading the horses out and climbing into the saddle. I held my bow as I headed up the trail, it was not long before I came to the huge grey wolf sitting off to the side of the trail. I stopped the horse as I looked at it, “I warned you wolf.”

It looked around and I saw others hidden in the brush. I shook my head, “How many die before you start seeking other game?”

The other wolves moved back as I started on but the grey wolf rose to trot along beside the trail. It disappeared before noon but was back in the early afternoon. A few hours before the sun set I came to a thick walled log cabin. One look inside told me it had been long abandoned. It did not have any windows but there was a back door that was barred with a thick beam.

I watered the horses before leading them into the cabin. Since the floor of the cabin was dirt I did not have to worry about the horses falling through. I glanced at the wolf before closing the door and moving to start a small fire. I cooked a hot dinner and then began to work on a wolf skin.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.