25 - Seattle, Opening Act - Cover

25 - Seattle, Opening Act

by Coach_Michaels

Copyright© 2019 by Coach_Michaels

Romantic Story: Another concert, their second time on stage and their first appearance as Michiko Takahashi's official opening act. Spec script style of formatting. No sex, no drugs, but plenty of rock n' roll. -- I'm numbering them so that they will be listed in chronological order. Every now and then I might stick something in that happened before something else.

Tags: Romantic   Humor  

Saturday, August 29, 2015

FADE IN, ARENA, SEATTLE, WA

A capacity crowd is gathered to enjoy a concert by Michiko Takahashi and also her opening act, Paul & Paula 21. A month ago these two nine-year-olds had performed three songs between the opening act, The Krelkins, and Michiko Takahashi. This time, they are themselves the opening act and will perform six songs, maybe more.

The stage goes instantly from completely dark to brightly lit, and standing front and center are Paula Claire Akron and her boyfriend, Paul Clare Macon. Paul is wearing the same white dress shirt tucked into black slacks with black dress shoes that he wore a month ago, and Paula is wearing another sun dress, this one blue with the same white sandals. The same critic will make the same “Sunday school” crack again, believing it to be funny. They are also wearing earpieces, because though they are bright children, they do need an occasional cue from backstage. The audience cheers loudly and the children wait for it to die back before addressing the crowd.

PAULA AKRON: This is so exciting! Hello everybody!

The crowd applauds, and the kids beam with delight.

PAUL MACON: Two months ago, we were just a couple of kids who like to sing, and now we’re opening for Michiko Takahashi. I mean: MICHIKO TAKAHASHI!

The crowd cheers loudly; more of them are here for Takahashi than for Paul & Paula 21, after all.

PAULA: Michiko was the one who thought you’d like to hear us, so we really want to say “thank you” to her. It was after she heard us sing this song that she started talking concerts and stuff.

Music starts and the two children sing “Hey Paula.” After applause subsides, they again address the audience.

PAUL: It was amazing that this song existed. But we do want to get married when we grow up.

PAULA: That’s a long time to wait, but we can just be girlfriend and boyfriend until then. Our love is everlasting.

Immediately they launch into “Everlasting Love,” to the cheers of the crowd. As the end-of-song cheering fades, Paula again addresses the crowd.

PAULA: It sounds like you’re all having fun!

A roar of applause confirms that yes, they are indeed having fun. The huge grins on these little kids show that they too are having fun. But then Paul’s expression turns serious.

PAUL: You know, some people say that we can’t really be in love, because we’re so young. Well they can say whatever they want; you don’t have to be very old to know how you feel.

PAULA: That’s right. That’s why I cried the first time I ever heard this next song. It was written before our grandparents were born, but I felt like it was written just for us.

PAUL: Me too. That’s why even when we grow up, even when we get old, we’ll still sing it: for all the young people out there who need a song like this.

The young couple sings “Puppy Love,” and for some of the lines the emotion shows in their young faces. When they are finished, the crowd applauds, and the young couple show that for all their precocious maturity they are still children by clasping their hands and sort of jogging in place.

PAULA: I love to sing about love! I like party songs and dancing songs too, but mostly, I love to sing about love.

The audience approves of this sentiment, but then they wouldn’t be attending a Paul & Paula 21 show if they didn’t like love songs.

PAUL: We’ve been singing older songs. Songs older than us.

PAULA: Older than our parents.

PAUL: Now we’re going to sing a newer song. This song was written for us by...

PAUL & PAULA: MICHIKO TAKAHASHI!!

The audience is taken a bit off guard by this. Takahashi has written and performed two songs of her own, but this is the first she’s written for anybody else. When the two kids sing, most of the song is very, very fast. It’s so fast that even though the lyrics are projected on a large screen, it’s hard to keep up with. The name of the song is “Emotional Jpeg” and it represents the feeling of being so full of emotion that it bursts out faster than the person expressing it can follow their own words. When it’s over the kids mostly catch their breath and are happy to let the audience applaud unimpeded for a bit. They nailed it, but it wasn’t easy.

PAUL: Whew! When Michiko first taught it to us, I thought maybe we’d made her mad or something.

PAULA: Yeah, she didn’t take it easy on us, that’s for sure. But you know what? I like the song.

PAUL: I like it too. And I like singing with you.

PAULA: And I like singing with you. But as much as I love to sing with you, Paul, sometimes I like to just step back and listen to you sing.

PAUL: Oh you want me to sing something by myself, do you?

Paula looks out into the crowd and motions with her hands. The crowd cheers loudly.

PAUL: OK, I’ll do it ... but then you gotta do it too.

PAULA: You’ll show me yours if I show you mine, huh? Well, that’s nothing new.⁕

Paula winks as the crowd doesn’t really know how to react. Paul steps forward and the lights dim, a spot illuminating the nine year old boy, who sings a fine rendition of “Love Reign O’er Me.” The crowd is basically stunned, but then they ROAR forth with applause. Paula steps forward to share the spotlight with her boyfriend, but then she decides to hang back a bit for a moment instead. She’s happy to let him shower in the praise of the crowd. When it fades she steps forward.

PAULA: Paul, that was wonderful.

PAUL: Yeah, and now it’s your turn.

Paula steps forward and Paul steps back.

PAULA: Paul’s song was about love, and you won’t be surprised that my song is ... I keep saying “Paul’s song” and “my song...” Didn’t either one of us write these songs you know.

The audience laughs a little.

PAULA: Hey Paul, didn’t some famous band do that song first?

Paul steps back into the spotlight, sharing it with his girlfriend.

PAUL: Yes, very famous band.

PAULA: What’s the name of that band?

PAUL: Who.

PAULA: The band that sang that song.

PAUL: Who.

PAULA: The band that originally performed “Love Reign O’er Me.”

PAUL: Who.

PAULA: Can you tell me the name of the band that originally performed “Love Reign O’er Me?”

PAUL: Who originally performed “Love Reign O’er Me.”

PAULA: What are you asking me for?!

The audience laughs. Yes, it’s been done before, and maybe even done better, but it’s still funny. Paul steps back into the shadows, and Paula lets loose with “I Feel Love.” Again, the crowd is stunned. They don’t expect kids this young to be this good. After the applause dies down Paul steps back to Paula’s side.

 
There is more of this story...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.