Mistress Adelaide's Travelling Gimp Circus - Cover

Mistress Adelaide's Travelling Gimp Circus

Copyright© 2019 by Freddie Clegg

Chapter 3: The Hasebury Nag

The White Horse Inn by Hasebury Green had been known as “The Hasebury Nag” for as long as Jennifer could remember and she had lived in the village all her life. It was small, though large enough for the village’s needs and though the building’s twisted wooden frame made it look ramshackle it showed every sign of standing for as many years as it had already.

Jennifer was standing at the bar, enjoying a pint of the landlady’s own beer, along with three of her friends, Janice, Aimee and Nisha. The bar-boy, Tim, had just served them and was wiping up some spills on the counter. Jan Adams, the landlady was busy cleaning glasses at the other end of the bar...

“It’s been good of her Ladyship to sponsor this,” Jennifer nodded towards the green. “Can’t say I recall anything like this here before.” She fumbled in her leather jerkin for a cigarette. It was starting to get dark but they could still see the activity on the green as the circus tent was being erected. The landlady turned up the oil lamps that stood behind the bar; their warm light gave the bar a cosy feel.

Janice chimed in, “Well, you know how she is. Always up for anything ‘educational’, in’t she? Probably hoping to pick up a few tricks to keep that man of hers in order.”

“I’m not sure she needs any new tricks from what I hear from my Jack when he’s had to do stuff up at the Hall. She’s pretty used to getting what she wants. Don’t take no nonsense, no more than the rest of us do.”

Aimee shook her head. “Well, there’s some as could learn a thing or two, I’m sure. That new young couple up at Ivy Cottage, Nancy is it? – she lets him out regular without a leash on. I even caught him talking to my Terry, taking his mind of his work. Had to have a word with her, I did. Claimed she hadn’t realised he was off on his own.”

Jennifer took a sip of her beer and shook her head. That wasn’t the sort of thing you expected around here, it was a traditional village with traditional ways. Men should know their place and women should make sure they went on knowing it. Maybe the circus would help remind folk how things were meant to be. “Your Terry wouldn’t pick up any ways like that though, would he? He’s a good lad, knows how things are.”

“Yes, good as gold. Even when it comes to lapping the love groove.”

“Aimee!” Nisha was sometimes a little prudish. It wasn’t the sort of remark she would make, even in a pub.

“Well, you won’t find me complaining about my Jack, either. He’s very good like that. Always happy to oblige when I fancy a bit. I mean, I know it’s a married woman’s right and all...”

“Well, any woman really.”

“Aimee!!”

“I know it’s a woman’s right and all but it’s nice that he doesn’t need to be bullied into it. Like I said, he’s good like that.”

“So, what do you know about the show? I’ve just seen the poster and they were putting the tent up this afternoon, three of the men – big strong lads by the look of them.”

“Listen to her! You’ll be running off to join them. Think they’d be good lapping the love groove?”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.